Newbie Remote Desktop question

August 5, 2005 12:22:05 PM

Ok, I know that this has prolly been asked and answered already, and I have
done a few searches.

I am new to remote desktop. I would like to be able to access my home pc
when i am not there. Following MS idiot guides, I allowed access on my home
pc and the windows firewall is disabled.

It doesn't work. i can't get access from the ip address. It says the client
cannot connect...

I am totally new at this, so I really don't have a clue what to do.

Relevent info: i use mcafee firewall 8 with default settings, i access the
internet via a RCA cable modem behind a linksys router on a home network. i
use xp pro sp1, and my isp is comcast.

Any help will be appreciated.

Much love!
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:49:18 PM

This page may be of some help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

If your trying to access the home PC from a remote location over the public
internet you need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 on any firewall/NAT/router
including Mcafee

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...