Need help improving DV to DVD quality

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi - I am converting DV camcorder tape to DVD's and am looking for
advice to improve the DVD quality.

I am using a Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI card with front panel
connectors along with the enclosed Video Advantage Power Director and
Power Producer softwre. The final quality of the DVD is good, but
there is a noticable difference in quality from the DV tape.

The process I am using follows what I have read in this forum and from
websites I saw mentioned:

(1) Transfer from DV to DV-AVI via 1394/Firewire.
(2) Edit AVI file as necessary using PowerDirector.
(3) Encode to MPEG-2 and write to DVD using PowerProducer.

I use the highest quality settings for the MPEG-2, including 8000 kbps.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Maybe you could try a trial version of another encoder and see if you
have the same results. If not then it is your software, perhaps. I'd
start troubleshooting by trial and error on the different parts. I'm
guess the straight captured video and the edited video looks as good as
the camera with this suggestion and that only the final product looks
lower quality.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I've heard that TmpgEnc Plus is a good encoder, so I may give it a try.
I already did check the parts, as you suggested. I saved the edited
video as a DV-AVI, wrote it back to DV tape, and it was virtually equal
quality to the original tape. So, it must be in the encoding software
if there is not any different process I should be following. Thanks
for the feedback!

I would recommend trying a different encoding product called "Sorenson
Squeeze". It is a simple to use but has advanced features to help you
compress the image smaller and keep the quality high. You will take the
final avi file and import it inot the software and output it to MPEG-2
ready for dvd burning. The problem you may have is the compression from
avi to dvd, not dv to avi file. See the product at
www.4videoequipment.com - it's on front page. You would still use
powerproducer to burn the dvd and powerdirector to edit. I think part
of the reason the quality isn't that great even at 8kbps because of the
compression software. Hope this helps.

- Henry T Kirk
4VideoEquipment.com

Try this: