Need help improving DV to DVD quality

Hi - I am converting DV camcorder tape to DVD's and am looking for
advice to improve the DVD quality.

I am using a Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI card with front panel
connectors along with the enclosed Video Advantage Power Director and
Power Producer softwre. The final quality of the DVD is good, but
there is a noticable difference in quality from the DV tape.

The process I am using follows what I have read in this forum and from
websites I saw mentioned:

(1) Transfer from DV to DV-AVI via 1394/Firewire.
(2) Edit AVI file as necessary using PowerDirector.
(3) Encode to MPEG-2 and write to DVD using PowerProducer.

I use the highest quality settings for the MPEG-2, including 8000 kbps.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
4 answers Last reply
More about need improving quality

    Maybe you could try a trial version of another encoder and see if you
    have the same results. If not then it is your software, perhaps. I'd
    start troubleshooting by trial and error on the different parts. I'm
    guess the straight captured video and the edited video looks as good as
    the camera with this suggestion and that only the final product looks
    lower quality.

    I've heard that TmpgEnc Plus is a good encoder, so I may give it a try.
    I already did check the parts, as you suggested. I saved the edited
    video as a DV-AVI, wrote it back to DV tape, and it was virtually equal
    quality to the original tape. So, it must be in the encoding software
    if there is not any different process I should be following. Thanks
    for the feedback!

    I would recommend trying a different encoding product called "Sorenson
    Squeeze". It is a simple to use but has advanced features to help you
    compress the image smaller and keep the quality high. You will take the
    final avi file and import it inot the software and output it to MPEG-2
    ready for dvd burning. The problem you may have is the compression from
    avi to dvd, not dv to avi file. See the product at
    www.4videoequipment.com - it's on front page. You would still use
    powerproducer to burn the dvd and powerdirector to edit. I think part
    of the reason the quality isn't that great even at 8kbps because of the
    compression software. Hope this helps.

    - Henry T Kirk
    4VideoEquipment.com

    Try this:

    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dv/guide.html

    --
    Brian Alves

    Listen to the new podcast
    for DV creators- The DV Show!
    http://www.thedvshow.com

    "John" <john_75287@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - I am converting DV camcorder tape to DVD's and am looking for
    > advice to improve the DVD quality.
    >
    > I am using a Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI card with front panel
    > connectors along with the enclosed Video Advantage Power Director and
    > Power Producer softwre. The final quality of the DVD is good, but
    > there is a noticable difference in quality from the DV tape.
    >
    > The process I am using follows what I have read in this forum and from
    > websites I saw mentioned:
    >
    > (1) Transfer from DV to DV-AVI via 1394/Firewire.
    > (2) Edit AVI file as necessary using PowerDirector.
    > (3) Encode to MPEG-2 and write to DVD using PowerProducer.
    >
    > I use the highest quality settings for the MPEG-2, including 8000 kbps.
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated!

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics