remote desktop connection

Hi all

I have 4 comp on a w2k enviroment, 3 of them w2k and one of them xp
pro,I was always able t rd to any of them and from any of them to each
other, today the xp fail to rd.

I get this error
"client could not connect to the remote computer,remote connection
might no be enable or the computer might be too busy to accept new
connection"

Please help.
9 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection

    Have you added any firewall software or turned on the XP SP2 Windows
    Firewall? Are you sure your calling the correct IP?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have 4 comp on a w2k enviroment, 3 of them w2k and one of them xp
    > pro,I was always able t rd to any of them and from any of them to each
    > other, today the xp fail to rd.
    >
    > I get this error
    > "client could not connect to the remote computer,remote connection
    > might no be enable or the computer might be too busy to accept new
    > connection"
    >
    > Please help.

    sooner.

    Thanks for the reply

    No firewall has been added,the xp firewall is disable and I have
    checked the following

    I can ping the xp from anywhere on my network
    I can ping from my xp box to anywhere on my network
    I can ping from my xp box to anywhere outside my network
    I can rd from xp box to anywhere on my network
    I can not rd to my xp box

    Thanks again

    Is Remote Desktop enabled? See this page for some troubleshooting help...

    > sooner.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    >
    > No firewall has been added,the xp firewall is disable and I have
    > checked the following
    >
    > I can ping the xp from anywhere on my network
    > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere on my network
    > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere outside my network
    > I can rd from xp box to anywhere on my network
    > I can not rd to my xp box
    >
    > Thanks again

    Sooner
    Thanks again
    I forgot to tell you that I did check on remoted desktop to be
    enable, my bad

    but now checking on the link you sent me, I found that terminal
    service has not started, I did reboot my comp. to check if the service
    would start but it did not, I tried to start the service manually but
    it just does not start, I was trying to get this service uninstall so I
    can install it again as it might be corrupted as I have done in the
    past with w2k but I could not find the component ,I guess is buit-in on
    xp pro.- So I guess this two problems has to do with each other, how do
    I uninstall this terminal services component and install i again.
    One more question does this might have something to do with license
    from the w2k server enviroment?

    Thanks again sooner

    Fernando
    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > Is Remote Desktop enabled? See this page for some troubleshooting help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > sooner.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply
    > >
    > > No firewall has been added,the xp firewall is disable and I have
    > > checked the following
    > >
    > > I can ping the xp from anywhere on my network
    > > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere on my network
    > > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere outside my network
    > > I can rd from xp box to anywhere on my network
    > > I can not rd to my xp box
    > >
    > > Thanks again

    If Terminal Services in not starting then perhaps it is a dependency
    issue... Make sure the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service is started...

    --

    > Sooner
    > Thanks again
    > I forgot to tell you that I did check on remoted desktop to be
    > enable, my bad
    >
    > but now checking on the link you sent me, I found that terminal
    > service has not started, I did reboot my comp. to check if the service
    > would start but it did not, I tried to start the service manually but
    > it just does not start, I was trying to get this service uninstall so I
    > can install it again as it might be corrupted as I have done in the
    > past with w2k but I could not find the component ,I guess is buit-in on
    > xp pro.- So I guess this two problems has to do with each other, how do
    > I uninstall this terminal services component and install i again.
    > One more question does this might have something to do with license
    > from the w2k server enviroment?
    >
    > Thanks again sooner
    >
    > Fernando
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >> Is Remote Desktop enabled? See this page for some troubleshooting help...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > sooner.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the reply
    >> >
    >> > No firewall has been added,the xp firewall is disable and I have
    >> > checked the following
    >> >
    >> > I can ping the xp from anywhere on my network
    >> > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere on my network
    >> > I can ping from my xp box to anywhere outside my network
    >> > I can rd from xp box to anywhere on my network
    >> > I can not rd to my xp box
    >> >
    >> > Thanks again

    Sooner

    remote procedure call is started,but if I want to restart the
    service it does not let me I can not stop it and I can not restart it

    So I guess I have problem with this service.

    Thanks again
    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > If Terminal Services in not starting then perhaps it is a dependency
    > issue... Make sure the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service is started...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sooner
    > > Thanks again
    > > I forgot to tell you that I did check on remoted desktop to be
    > > enable, my bad
    > >
    > > but now checking on the link you sent me, I found that terminal
    > > service has not started, I did reboot my comp. to check if the service
    > > would start but it did not, I tried to start the service manually but
    > > it just does not start, I was trying to get this service uninstall so I
    > > can install it again as it might be corrupted as I have done in the
    > > past with w2k but I could not find the component ,I guess is buit-in on
    > > xp pro.- So I guess this two problems has to do with each other, how do
    > > I uninstall this terminal services component and install i again.
    > > One more question does this might have something to do with license
    > > from the w2k server enviroment?
    > >
    > > Thanks again sooner
    > >
    > > Fernando
    > > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > >> Is Remote Desktop enabled? See this page for some troubleshooting help...
    > >>
    > >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > >> benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> rights...
    > >>

    > >> "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    thanks sooner

    Is there a way on xp pro that will allow me to unistall and later
    install ts, like we did in w2k server?

    do you think this might be a license problem?

    You may need to consider a "repair installation" to fix this issue... Note
    the warnings on the page...

    Good luck...

    --

    > Sooner
    >
    > remote procedure call is started,but if I want to restart the
    > service it does not let me I can not stop it and I can not restart it
    >
    > So I guess I have problem with this service.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >> If Terminal Services in not starting then perhaps it is a dependency
    >> issue... Make sure the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service is
    >> started...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sooner
    >> > Thanks again
    >> > I forgot to tell you that I did check on remoted desktop to be
    >> > enable, my bad
    >> >
    >> > but now checking on the link you sent me, I found that terminal
    >> > service has not started, I did reboot my comp. to check if the service
    >> > would start but it did not, I tried to start the service manually but
    >> > it just does not start, I was trying to get this service uninstall so I
    >> > can install it again as it might be corrupted as I have done in the
    >> > past with w2k but I could not find the component ,I guess is buit-in on
    >> > xp pro.- So I guess this two problems has to do with each other, how do
    >> > I uninstall this terminal services component and install i again.
    >> > One more question does this might have something to do with license
    >> > from the w2k server enviroment?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks again sooner
    >> >
    >> > Fernando

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You might try...

    1. Re-registering Remote Desktop using the command line that
    follows...Reboot the PC after doing
    this...

    regsvr32 remotepg.dll

    I don't know about licensing, but if your trying to RD into an XP box that
    should not be a factor...

    --

    > thanks sooner
    >
    > Is there a way on xp pro that will allow me to unistall and later
    > install ts, like we did in w2k server?
    >
    > do you think this might be a license problem?

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP