Mauricio

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

We are trying to connect to a remote computer, using Remote Desktop
Connection, under options we selected printers. This (client) computer is
hoked up to another computer with a wireless router. The other computer has
a USB printer and is recognized by this computer the client. When going to
the remote and clicking printer in the options the printer does not show up.
Therefore when connected to the remote, the remote does not see the USB
printer. What can I do?
Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation,

MGLUCK@assetinv.net

Mauricio wrote:
> We are trying to connect to a remote computer, using Remote Desktop
> Connection, under options we selected printers. This (client)
> computer is hoked up to another computer with a wireless router.
> The other computer has a USB printer and is recognized by this
> computer the client. When going to the remote and clicking printer
> in the options the printer does not show up. Therefore when connected
> to the remote, the remote does not see the USB printer. What can I
> do?
>
> Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation,

> MGLUCK@assetinv.net

Cooperation? heh

Try this:

Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB
Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I have tried various things and nothing has worked for me:

- The printer is installed and configured in both, the server and the client
PC's
- Printer is being re-directed; at least it is listed to an "active port in
a session" in the list of printers at the client, but printing to it doesn't
do a thing
- I tried "forcing" to re-direct all ports, but didn't make a difference
other than re-directing more printing devices to the list of re-directed
printers--none work.

Setup is:
- Server: XP Home (serves as the "gateway"--192.168.0.1) to the outside
world. Runs NIS.
- Client: XP Pro connected to the server (hosts the RDC, with port 3389 Open)

Otherwise, RDC runs flawlessly. Client prints fine to the network printers.

Any ideas?

Eduardo

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Mauricio wrote:
> > We are trying to connect to a remote computer, using Remote Desktop
> > Connection, under options we selected printers. This (client)
> > computer is hoked up to another computer with a wireless router.
> > The other computer has a USB printer and is recognized by this
> > computer the client. When going to the remote and clicking printer
> > in the options the printer does not show up. Therefore when connected
> > to the remote, the remote does not see the USB printer. What can I
> > do?
> >
> > Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation,
>
> > MGLUCK@assetinv.net
>
> Cooperation? heh
>
> Try this:
>
> Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB
> Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361
>
> Search using Google!
> http://www.google.com/
> (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Just to clarify my setup...

I have a home network running with an XP Home as a "server" to all other
PC's in the network. There is an XP Pro PC in my network which is the "Host"
for Remote Desktop.

PC's from the outside connect fine to this PC via Remote Desktop Connection
and print fine to network printers, but cannot print to local printers.

Eduardo