excel files

June 2, 2004 8:34:55 PM

Hi all...
My boss is having a problem syncing excel file and has asked me to help.
Let me relate the issue.

he syncs often between work and home and keeps the files he wants to work on
in both places on his pocket pc.
sometimes, the pocket pc changes the file extension to .pxl the pocket pc
version.

He never actually uses the files on the pocket pc, or opens them with pocket
pc, always on his desktop.

Why does this change and how can we make it stop?

Thanks,
jojo

More about : excel files

June 2, 2004 9:50:35 PM

Well you can turn off the conversion if you want to simply use the device to
"carry" the docs to and fro...he would not be able to read them with the
standard apps on the ppc if he ever wanted ...just for the record, he could
if he ever decides he needs to read them on the device, load apps that read
them natively.

To turn off the conversion he can go to the options button>rules tab to
disable conversion.
"jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...
> My boss is having a problem syncing excel file and has asked me to help.
> Let me relate the issue.
>
> he syncs often between work and home and keeps the files he wants to work
on
> in both places on his pocket pc.
> sometimes, the pocket pc changes the file extension to .pxl the pocket pc
> version.
>
> He never actually uses the files on the pocket pc, or opens them with
pocket
> pc, always on his desktop.
>
> Why does this change and how can we make it stop?
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

June 2, 2004 9:50:36 PM

Hi and thanks for your help!
I cannot find the option below......

> To turn off the conversion he can go to the options button>rules tab to
> disable conversion.

jojo

"Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> Well you can turn off the conversion if you want to simply use the device
> "carry" the docs to and fro...he would not be able to read them with the
> standard apps on the ppc if he ever wanted ...just for the record, he
could
> if he ever decides he needs to read them on the device, load apps that
read
> them natively.
>
> To turn off the conversion he can go to the options button>rules tab to
> disable conversion.
> "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all...
> > My boss is having a problem syncing excel file and has asked me to help.
> > Let me relate the issue.
> >
> > he syncs often between work and home and keeps the files he wants to
work
> on
> > in both places on his pocket pc.
> > sometimes, the pocket pc changes the file extension to .pxl the pocket
pc
> > version.
> >
> > He never actually uses the files on the pocket pc, or opens them with
> pocket
> > pc, always on his desktop.
> >
> > Why does this change and how can we make it stop?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo

Related resources
June 2, 2004 10:32:29 PM

Go to options button on active sync window on the pc ...double click the
active sync icon in the tack bar if not up on the screen. click options
button on that window and then you will see tabs...click rules tab and on
that tab there will be a button for "conversion settings" click that.
> Hi and thanks for your help!
> I cannot find the option below......
>
> > To turn off the conversion he can go to the options button>rules tab to
> > disable conversion.
>
> jojo
>
> "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> > Well you can turn off the conversion if you want to simply use the
device
> > "carry" the docs to and fro...he would not be able to read them with the
> > standard apps on the ppc if he ever wanted ...just for the record, he
> could
> > if he ever decides he needs to read them on the device, load apps that
> read
> > them natively.
> >
> > To turn off the conversion he can go to the options button>rules tab to
> > disable conversion.
> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all...
> > > My boss is having a problem syncing excel file and has asked me to
help.
> > > Let me relate the issue.
> > >
> > > he syncs often between work and home and keeps the files he wants to
> work
> > on
> > > in both places on his pocket pc.
> > > sometimes, the pocket pc changes the file extension to .pxl the pocket
> pc
> > > version.
> > >
> > > He never actually uses the files on the pocket pc, or opens them with
> > pocket
> > > pc, always on his desktop.
> > >
> > > Why does this change and how can we make it stop?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > jojo

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:41:18 PM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:34:55 -0500, "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>He never actually uses the files on the pocket pc, or opens them with pocket
>pc, always on his desktop.
>
>Why does this change and how can we make it stop?
Maybe instead of using the Pocket PC for this maybe the better route
would be to get a USB storage device? Or mabye put the files
directly on a CF/SD card and read it on both ends with a CF/SD card
reader?