Hi8 VHS to DVD Conversion

Hi,

I have a PIII 800MHz with 1GB memory and one IDE 40GB and one SCSI
ultra 40GB and a DVD RW running XP Professional. I intend to use SCSI
disk purely for the Conversion purposes.
First of all is my PC spec OK or will I need a faster P4 machine for
the job?
Secondly can someone recommend me a fairly decent Video capture device
(and software) I need to buy to get this project done?
What sort of money am I looking for on a Card and Software? I have
Microsoft Digital Suit V10 - will that do the job as far as software
in concerned?

Thanks

J Mann
2 answers Last reply
More about conversion

    In article <1127215767.524059.68330@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    jagemail@gmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a PIII 800MHz with 1GB memory and one IDE 40GB and one SCSI
    > ultra 40GB and a DVD RW running XP Professional. I intend to use SCSI
    > disk purely for the Conversion purposes.
    > First of all is my PC spec OK or will I need a faster P4 machine for
    > the job?
    > Secondly can someone recommend me a fairly decent Video capture device
    > (and software) I need to buy to get this project done?
    > What sort of money am I looking for on a Card and Software? I have
    > Microsoft Digital Suit V10 - will that do the job as far as software
    > in concerned?

    Your PC spec is pretty marginal for video capture and editing. A faster
    processor and more hard drive space would certainly help. A P3 800MHz
    CPU is going to be very slow when it comes to rendering DVD compliant
    MPEG2 video. You could give it a try with your current system and plan
    to upgrade if necessary.

    As for analog video capture one of the very best devices is the Canopus
    ADVC100. It is not cheap but it does an outstanding job. I think it
    currently costs about $275 at retail. You might get a used one on eBay
    for around $200. I don't know what programs are in MS Digital Suit V10.
    MS Movie Maker 2 is available free for Win/XP users. It's a pretty
    capable video editor. There are also inexpensive video editor/DVD
    authoring packages available such as Pinnacle Systems Studio 9 and Ulead
    Systems VideoStudio 9. Trial versions of each of these may be available
    for download. Both are available at retail for less than $90. Either one
    will get the job done.

    <jagemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a PIII 800MHz with 1GB memory and one IDE 40GB and one SCSI
    > ultra 40GB and a DVD RW running XP Professional. I intend to use SCSI
    > disk purely for the Conversion purposes.
    > First of all is my PC spec OK or will I need a faster P4 machine for
    > the job?
    > Secondly can someone recommend me a fairly decent Video capture device
    > (and software) I need to buy to get this project done?
    > What sort of money am I looking for on a Card and Software? I have
    > Microsoft Digital Suit V10 - will that do the job as far as software
    > in concerned?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > J Mann

    Hi J,
    As WGD says a Ato D convertor and editing software will do, but might I also
    suggest trying to capture directly in MPEG2 directly using a capture card
    with a built in hardware encoder so to put less strain on your cpu and do
    minimal editing and then author and burn dvd, with no dv to mpeg2
    transcoding needed except maybe the audio depending on if you want to
    convert that to ac3 or not.
    I am testing this out for quick transfers of tv stuff and some home movies
    to dvd. You can do direct to disc, but I think the whole point is to edit a
    little bit and add titles.
    And for me to delete the commercials and add chapter markers.
    It's another low cost route you can try.
    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX2.htm

    Good Luck either way and let us know how you make out. :)
    AnthonyR.

Tuner Cards Graphics