  • Office
  • Servers
  • Windows XP
August 10, 2005 5:12:01 AM

I am trying to connect remotely to the database on my office server without
success.

My office runs bespoke software on an NT server. This server connects to the
outside world via an adsl router on IP 192.168.87.180. The router does have
a fixed IP associated with the broadband circuit.

The server has 3 local IP's allocated for a VPN connection
192.168.87.174/5/6

I am trying to connect from my home machine which is running windows XP home
which is on a broadband circuit with a dynamic IP. I have loaded the
software onto my home machine, which is loaded on the workstations in the
office, but seem totally incapable of making any sort of communication with
my office server.

This seems to be different to the remote desktop scenario, because I will be
running the software on my own machine and just accessing the database via
the adsl circuit. Is there an idiots guide to this sort of thing on the web?
Everyone tells me that it should be so simple to set up a VPN connection,
but so far nobody has been able to tell me how to do it.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

More about : connect office server

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:12:02 AM

Darren wrote:
> I am trying to connect remotely to the database on my office server
> without success.
>
> My office runs bespoke software on an NT server. This server connects
> to the outside world via an adsl router on IP 192.168.87.180. The
> router does have a fixed IP associated with the broadband circuit.
>
> The server has 3 local IP's allocated for a VPN connection
> 192.168.87.174/5/6
>
> I am trying to connect from my home machine which is running windows
> XP home which is on a broadband circuit with a dynamic IP. I have
> loaded the software onto my home machine, which is loaded on the
> workstations in the office, but seem totally incapable of making any
> sort of communication with my office server.
>
> This seems to be different to the remote desktop scenario, because I
> will be running the software on my own machine and just accessing the
> database via the adsl circuit. Is there an idiots guide to this sort
> of thing on the web? Everyone tells me that it should be so simple to
> set up a VPN connection, but so far nobody has been able to tell me
> how to do it.
> I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Uhm - do you know the PUBLIC IP of the server?

192.168.x.x would be private IPs.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

you need a public IP not private IP and also the port number to be open
because usually firewall from routers have no open ports, you will need to
openit, and thats my problems that I do not know wich port to open

"Darren" wrote:

> I am trying to connect remotely to the database on my office server without
> success.
>
> My office runs bespoke software on an NT server. This server connects to the
> outside world via an adsl router on IP 192.168.87.180. The router does have
> a fixed IP associated with the broadband circuit.
>
> The server has 3 local IP's allocated for a VPN connection
> 192.168.87.174/5/6
>
> I am trying to connect from my home machine which is running windows XP home
> which is on a broadband circuit with a dynamic IP. I have loaded the
> software onto my home machine, which is loaded on the workstations in the
> office, but seem totally incapable of making any sort of communication with
> my office server.
>
> This seems to be different to the remote desktop scenario, because I will be
> running the software on my own machine and just accessing the database via
> the adsl circuit. Is there an idiots guide to this sort of thing on the web?
> Everyone tells me that it should be so simple to set up a VPN connection,
> but so far nobody has been able to tell me how to do it.
>
> I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Related resources
August 10, 2005 12:15:21 PM

Yes I do know the public IP, but I didn't think it prudent to broadcast it
on this newsgroup.

For the sake of this exercise can we call it XX.XX.XXX.67

"Ricky" <Ricky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you need a public IP not private IP and also the port number to be open
> because usually firewall from routers have no open ports, you will need
> openit, and thats my problems that I do not know wich port to open
>
> "Darren" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to connect remotely to the database on my office server
>> without
>> success.
>>
>> My office runs bespoke software on an NT server. This server connects to
>> the
>> outside world via an adsl router on IP 192.168.87.180. The router does
>> have
>> a fixed IP associated with the broadband circuit.
>>
>> The server has 3 local IP's allocated for a VPN connection
>> 192.168.87.174/5/6
>>
>> I am trying to connect from my home machine which is running windows XP
>> home
>> which is on a broadband circuit with a dynamic IP. I have loaded the
>> software onto my home machine, which is loaded on the workstations in the
>> office, but seem totally incapable of making any sort of communication
>> with
>> my office server.
>>
>> This seems to be different to the remote desktop scenario, because I will
>> be
>> running the software on my own machine and just accessing the database
>> via
>> the adsl circuit. Is there an idiots guide to this sort of thing on the
>> web?
>> Everyone tells me that it should be so simple to set up a VPN connection,
>> but so far nobody has been able to tell me how to do it.
>>
>> I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:52:48 PM

How to setup a VPN in XP
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/ht/newvpnwindows...

Your server must accept traffic on port 1723 for pptp

You might need to add an address to your hosts file in order for the
software to be able to resolve.
Thehost file is here
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

192.168.2.51 servername.yourdomain.com.