IP video streaming?

jeff

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

I have a TV input source and want to stream it over my IP network. I
have a mix of Unix (Solaris, Linux), Macintosh, and Windows XP
workstations - so I need something that has players available for all
of those platforms (the Macs are actually optional, but that would be
nice).

There seem to be a horrible array of choices for this and my couple
attempts to do it just don't fit my requirements. Does anyone do what
I want to do and can recommend a easy-to-get-working-and-maintain
solution? I already have a Dell Intel Xeon server to act as the server
and two Osprey 230 video capture cards which I'd like to use, but I'm
open to other suggestions if that proves too difficult (or there's just
a better solution).

Thanks!
-j6

VideoLAN / VLC Media Player: <http://www.videolan.org/>. See
<http://www.videolan.org/streaming/>.

--
znark

"Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> I have a TV input source and want to stream it over my IP network. I
>> have a mix of Unix (Solaris, Linux), Macintosh, and Windows XP
>> workstations - so I need something that has players available for
>> all of those platforms (the Macs are actually optional, but that would be
>> nice).
>
> VideoLAN / VLC Media Player: <http://www.videolan.org/>. See
> <http://www.videolan.org/streaming/>.
>
> --
> znark

Yes VLC is certainly a part of the answer, if you are lucky
it may be all you need, as it can stream from many devices.
Where you may run into a problem is that hardware encoding
capture devices often use proprietary capture "drivers"/software
that doesn't always "play well with others". Your "Osprey"
card appears not to have a hardware encoder so I'm not sure
what it is prepared to stream.

I normally have an allergic reaction to any "Real" products, and
haven't seen where VLC specifically mentions compatibility with
"Realvision" but you may find it at their web site. In any case it
is so flexible you may be able to set it up to work with the "Real"
components.

Luck;
Ken

TRENDING THREADS