Firewire Problem

Hi,

I have been trying to capture DV from a Digital8 (Sony TRV355E) camcorder to
a PC (XP) with a Pyro Firewire Card. Unfortunately the camera does not seem
to be recognised.
The camera is in VCR mode and I have tried this on more than one PC so I
suspect there is a problem with the Firewire chip on the camera. The problem
is how do I check this?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

regards
gerry

rs

Onetel News wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to capture DV from a Digital8 (Sony TRV355E) camcorder to
> a PC (XP) with a Pyro Firewire Card. Unfortunately the camera does not seem
> to be recognised.
> The camera is in VCR mode and I have tried this on more than one PC so I
> suspect there is a problem with the Firewire chip on the camera. The problem
> is how do I check this?
>
> Any advice would be greatfully received.
>
> regards
> gerry

Only by connecting the camera to another computer.

"RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message news:4330859b$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net...
> Onetel News wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying to capture DV from a Digital8 (Sony TRV355E) camcorder
>> a PC (XP) with a Pyro Firewire Card. Unfortunately the camera does not
>> seem
>> to be recognised.
>> The camera is in VCR mode and I have tried this on more than one PC so I
>> suspect there is a problem with the Firewire chip on the camera. The
>> problem
>> is how do I check this?
>>
>> Any advice would be greatfully received.
>>
>> regards
>> gerry
>>

> Only by connecting the camera to another computer.

Or to another camera that recognizes Firewire in.

Steve King

Onetel News wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to capture DV from a Digital8 (Sony TRV355E) camcorder to
> a PC (XP) with a Pyro Firewire Card. Unfortunately the camera does not seem
> to be recognised.
> The camera is in VCR mode and I have tried this on more than one PC so I
> suspect there is a problem with the Firewire chip on the camera. The problem
> is how do I check this?
>
> Any advice would be greatfully received.
>
> regards
> gerry

My Sony has the same problem. I googled and found some threads stating
that Sony had a problem with the chip shorting out. Rather than fix
it, I bought another used Sony with digital pass through on e-bay for
about the cost of a repair.

"Steve King" <steve@TakeThisOutToReplysteveking.net> wrote in

> "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Onetel News wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to capture DV from a Digital8 (Sony TRV355E)
>>> camcorder to
>>> a PC (XP) with a Pyro Firewire Card. Unfortunately the camera
>>> does not seem
>>> to be recognised.
>>> The camera is in VCR mode and I have tried this on more than one
>>> PC so I suspect there is a problem with the Firewire chip on the
>>> camera. The problem
>>> is how do I check this?
>>>
>>> Any advice would be greatfully received.
>>>
>>> regards
>>> gerry
>>>

>> Only by connecting the camera to another computer.
>

> Or to another camera that recognizes Firewire in.
>
> Steve King

Or with a different cable.

G.

--