Emergency: Need help with Sony Handycam

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 20, 2005 11:41:53 PM

Problem: I run a video conversion business & I have a customer that has
mailed me some Hi8 tapes that apparently have been recorded in LP mode.
I'm trying to convert them to DVD BUT when I play the tapes on my
camcorder all I get is a blue screen with a bunch of noise. I can see
LP displayed in the viewfinder. Any quick suggestions?? If needed...Is
there an adapter similar to the VHS-C adapter that I can buy that will
play the Hi8 tapes as they were recorded????

My Camera: Sony CCD FX270 bought in 1993.
September 21, 2005 1:43:29 AM

It's a video 8..it plays the hi8 tapes that were recorded in SP but not
LP. Do u think possibly it's playing the LP but perhaps the footage was
erased by postal x-ray machines? That's not likely is it?
September 21, 2005 8:32:00 AM

"D" <MuzicNme@aol.com> wrote in message
> Problem: I run a video conversion business & I have a customer that has
> mailed me some Hi8 tapes that apparently have been recorded in LP mode.
> I'm trying to convert them to DVD BUT when I play the tapes on my
> camcorder all I get is a blue screen with a bunch of noise. I can see
> LP displayed in the viewfinder. Any quick suggestions?? If needed...Is
> there an adapter similar to the VHS-C adapter that I can buy that will
> play the Hi8 tapes as they were recorded????
>
> My Camera: Sony CCD FX270 bought in 1993.

Is the cam a Hi8 or Video 8 camcorder? If it's a regular Video8, I assume
it doesn't handle the Hi8 tapes, though I believe many/most Hi8 cams will
play the regular 8mm tapes.

You can buy Hi8 camcorders all day for next to nothing.
Related resources
September 21, 2005 8:48:48 AM

> It's a video 8..it plays the hi8 tapes that were recorded in SP but not
> LP. Do u think possibly it's playing the LP but perhaps the footage was
> erased by postal x-ray machines? That's not likely is it?

Not sure about the X-ray issue. I've gotten numerous VHS tapes sent in the
mail and never had a problem. However I was going to ask if you know for a
fact that the tape is good.

Try it in a Hi8 camcorder.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:59:36 AM

"D" <MuzicNme@aol.com> wrote in message
> Problem: I run a video conversion business & I have a customer that has
> mailed me some Hi8 tapes that apparently have been recorded in LP mode.
> I'm trying to convert them to DVD BUT when I play the tapes on my
> camcorder all I get is a blue screen with a bunch of noise. I can see
> LP displayed in the viewfinder. Any quick suggestions?? If needed...Is
> there an adapter similar to the VHS-C adapter that I can buy that will
> play the Hi8 tapes as they were recorded????

Most likely, either your camera or the customer's camera is slightly out of
alignment. There are no adapters for Hi8 that I've heard of.

> My Camera: Sony CCD FX270 bought in 1993.

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:01:02 AM

"D" <MuzicNme@aol.com> wrote in message
> It's a video 8..it plays the hi8 tapes that were recorded in SP but not
> LP. Do u think possibly it's playing the LP but perhaps the footage was
> erased by postal x-ray machines? That's not likely is it?

Extremely unlikely. It would take far more ionizing energy than is
generated by inspection x-ray machines to affect magnetic video tape. It is
possible, though, that the tapes were exposed to magnetic fields at the post
office, e.g. from electric motors on conveyor belts, etc.

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:00:47 PM

"D" wrote ...
> Problem: I run a video conversion business & I have a customer that
> has
> mailed me some Hi8 tapes that apparently have been recorded in LP
> mode.
> I'm trying to convert them to DVD BUT when I play the tapes on my
> camcorder all I get is a blue screen with a bunch of noise. I can see
> LP displayed in the viewfinder. Any quick suggestions?? If needed...Is
> there an adapter similar to the VHS-C adapter that I can buy that will
> play the Hi8 tapes as they were recorded????
>
> My Camera: Sony CCD FX270 bought in 1993.

LP mode is more difficult to play on camcorders other than
the one that recorded it. Is the recording camcorder available?
(This is why many of us avoid LP mode.)

Perhaps not worth the trouble, but an option anyway:
You could send the tapes and your camcorder in to a service
shop and have them align your camcorder so it will play
those tapes, but then your camcorder will be out of alignment
same as the original camcorder.

This is assuming that your FX270 is a Hi8 camcorder?
If not, you must find a Hi8 device to play them back with.
(And hope you can find something that can track the LP
tapes.)
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 6:52:50 PM

In article <QC5Ye.1537$vw6.271@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Doc
<docsavage20@xhotmail.com> writes

>"D" <MuzicNme@aol.com> wrote in message
>> It's a video 8..it plays the hi8 tapes that were recorded in SP but not
>> LP. Do u think possibly it's playing the LP but perhaps the footage was
>> erased by postal x-ray machines? That's not likely is it?
>>

>Not sure about the X-ray issue. I've gotten numerous VHS tapes sent in the
>mail and never had a problem. However I was going to ask if you know for a
>fact that the tape is good.
>
>Try it in a Hi8 camcorder.

A normal 8mm camcorder will not play Hi8 recordings, no way. It is
possible to record non-Hi8 footage on a Hi8 tape if recorded on a normal
8mm camcorder. (Like you can record normal VHS on an S-VHS tape). Maybe
this is what you have played before.
--
Tim Mitchell
!