Directory sizes?

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
review, downsize, delete, etc.

Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
two)?

TIA---

Charles

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:46:10 -0700, "Fan" <Jfisher65@pronet.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
>review, downsize, delete, etc.
>
>Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
>of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
>the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
>two)?
>
>TIA---

On a single screen?

Just to see what would happen, I went to "Start" > "run" > "command" >
"tree" (an old DOS command)

Lots of stuff scrolled by, I have a messy pc.

It didn't give me directory size, and I didn't pipe it to a printer or
file, so it's gone now, but you could try that and see how much shows
up there.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

A free utility called 'diskdata'. Do a google search. It's a standalone, no
need for installation.
Dave Cohen

"Fan" <Jfisher65@pronet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
> review, downsize, delete, etc.
>
> Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone
> know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure
> along with the number of files and size of the directories all on a single
> screen (or two)?
>
> TIA---

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Fan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
> review, downsize, delete, etc.
>
> Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
> of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
> the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
> two)?
>
> TIA---

Take a look at this free Karenware utility.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Fan wrote:

> I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need
> to review, downsize, delete, etc.
>
> Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does
> anyone know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory
> structure along with the number of files and size of the directories
> all on a single screen (or two)?

I can't say enough good things about WinDirStat:

<http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/>

It will display you the contents of your disks and partitions
graphically, as a single, intuitive overview of colorful, rectangular
blocks. Each block represents a single file. The color of a block
represents the file type. The size of the block corresponds directly to
the relative size of that file (as compared to all the other blocks,...
I mean, files!) Not only that, but the blocks are lumped together
according to the directory structure where they live in. If you need a
more detailed view of some odd nooks and corners, you can zoom in and
out to your heart's content.

It's a really intuitive approach at viewing the contents of your disks,
and makes organizing and cleaning up the disk(s) a breeze. You can
easily see which directories, files and file types take up the most of
the space, and are in a dire need of some clean-up/archival attention.

See this screenshot to get a glimpse:

<http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/windirstat.jpg>

--
znark

wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need to
>>review, downsize, delete, etc.
>>
>>Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does anyone know
>>of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory structure along with
>>the number of files and size of the directories all on a single screen (or
>>two)?
>>
>>TIA---

Treesize (free version) at
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Fan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a PC with a lot of files (mostly digital images) that I need
> to review, downsize, delete, etc.
>
> Rather than go through File-Properties for each directory, does
> anyone know of a simple tool that will who me my overall directory
> structure along with the number of files and size of the directories
> all on a single screen (or two)?
>
> TIA---

My free ShowMan program:

http://odin/blueyonder/software/disk.html#ShowMan

David

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:06:23 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net>
wrote:

>A free utility called 'diskdata'. Do a google search. It's a standalone, no
>need for installation.

Actually it's a 30-day evaluation and does require
installation (ddsetup.exe). Nice program, though.