Manage computers

Hi Everyone.
I hope you can help me with my problem
I have a workgroup set up with 5 workstations using windos XP pro.
I tried to manage the other 4 computer from my workstation. After I select
the computer I want to manage I tried to open the Event Viewer folder, Share
folder, Local user and groups, performance log or services and everytime I
get the following popup message
Unable to connect to computer "PC1". The error was:
Access Denied.

I tried using the administrator account from the PC1 workstation and I still
get that message..

Is there other settings that I need to set before I can use this tool or
does this feature only works if the workstations are in a domain and not in
a workgroup.
Please help.

I can not come up with anything else.
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about manage computers

    Nino Chavez wrote:
    > Hi Everyone.
    > I hope you can help me with my problem
    > I have a workgroup set up with 5 workstations using windos XP pro.
    > I tried to manage the other 4 computer from my workstation. After I
    > select the computer I want to manage I tried to open the Event Viewer
    > folder, Share folder, Local user and groups, performance log or
    > services and everytime I get the following popup message
    > Unable to connect to computer "PC1". The error was:
    > Access Denied.
    >
    > I tried using the administrator account from the PC1 workstation and
    > I still get that message..
    >
    > Is there other settings that I need to set before I can use this tool
    > or does this feature only works if the workstations are in a domain
    > and not in a workgroup.
    > Please help.

    Simple File Sharing turned off?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    They are enabled.
    I tried disabling it and I still got the same error.
    Any more suggestions ?

    > Nino Chavez wrote:
    >> Hi Everyone.
    >> I hope you can help me with my problem
    >> I have a workgroup set up with 5 workstations using windos XP pro.
    >> I tried to manage the other 4 computer from my workstation. After I
    >> select the computer I want to manage I tried to open the Event Viewer
    >> folder, Share folder, Local user and groups, performance log or
    >> services and everytime I get the following popup message
    >> Unable to connect to computer "PC1". The error was:
    >> Access Denied.
    >>
    >> I tried using the administrator account from the PC1 workstation and
    >> I still get that message..
    >>
    >> Is there other settings that I need to set before I can use this tool
    >> or does this feature only works if the workstations are in a domain
    >> and not in a workgroup.
    >> Please help.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing turned off?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    do you have a password on the administrator's account?
    "Nino Chavez" <ninoch@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > They are enabled.
    > I tried disabling it and I still got the same error.
    > Any more suggestions ?
    >

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Nino Chavez wrote:
    > >> Hi Everyone.
    > >> I hope you can help me with my problem
    > >> I have a workgroup set up with 5 workstations using windos XP pro.
    > >> I tried to manage the other 4 computer from my workstation. After I
    > >> select the computer I want to manage I tried to open the Event Viewer
    > >> folder, Share folder, Local user and groups, performance log or
    > >> services and everytime I get the following popup message
    > >> Unable to connect to computer "PC1". The error was:
    > >> Access Denied.
    > >>
    > >> I tried using the administrator account from the PC1 workstation and
    > >> I still get that message..
    > >>
    > >> Is there other settings that I need to set before I can use this tool
    > >> or does this feature only works if the workstations are in a domain
    > >> and not in a workgroup.
    > >> Please help.
    > >
    > > Simple File Sharing turned off?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Shenan Stanley
    > > MS-MVP
    > > --
    > > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    do you type in Run: \\pc1\c$\ ?????
    > Hi Everyone.
    > I hope you can help me with my problem
    > I have a workgroup set up with 5 workstations using windos XP pro.
    > I tried to manage the other 4 computer from my workstation. After I select
    > the computer I want to manage I tried to open the Event Viewer folder,
    Share
    > folder, Local user and groups, performance log or services and everytime I
    > get the following popup message
    > Unable to connect to computer "PC1". The error was:
    > Access Denied.
    >
    > I tried using the administrator account from the PC1 workstation and I
    still
    > get that message..
    >
    > Is there other settings that I need to set before I can use this tool or
    > does this feature only works if the workstations are in a domain and not
    in
    > a workgroup.
    > Please help.
    >
    > I can not come up with anything else.