Volunteers Wanted

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
A group of developers (of which I am part) have recently come together to start <A HREF="http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/maxlinux/" target="_new">the Maximum Linux project</A>--basically we plan to develop yet another Linux distribution. Currently we're looking for volunteers to help get the project moving, so I figured I'd let everyone here know.

Pretty much anyone is welcome to join the project. We've got a rough <A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/maxlinux/abstract.html" target="_new">abstract</A> prepared (though not yet ratified) that lists the kind of people we're most interested in. If you feel like joining the project, register a free account with <A HREF="http://www.sourceforge.net/" target="_new">SourceForge</A> (assuming you don't have one already) and send an e-mail to xpl2@users.sourceforge.net with your SourceForge username and any other details you'd like to include about yourself.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

First let me point out -- I lack any and all skills to help but I would like to know why you are going to make another distro. What nitch is this one going to fill.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Right now, we're planning to gear this distro towards power users and server admins. Mainly, we want to make a new distro because we believe we can do a better job than most other distros out there. :wink:

I personally am gearing this distro towards my tastes. Of course, others will do much the same with their own contributions. Since about a year ago, I've been in the habit of installing <A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">Linux From Scratch</A> simply because I couldn't abide the mistakes other distros made; I'm hoping that this new distro, when it's finished, will be able to replace my LFS installation.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

victorcao

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Hello,

I would like to volunteer, although I don't know anything about programming, yet. In a few weeks the company I work for wants to build our own web server. Thus they are giving me a limited, exceptional budget. During this time I will be building a couple machines for them, while in the mean time I would like to donate a low-end to maybe high-end server for your cause.

This will also contribute to a case study I am working on to find a "good" linux distribution.

If you would like my services feel free to email me at victor@e-imago.com.

Thank you,

Sincerely
Victor Cao

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Thanks a bunch! We've been looking for someplace that would offer a server for our use. I've let the project team know; I'm thinking our project leader will contact you by e-mail soon enough.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry to bud in the middle of this thread. But I am about to do Linux once more and have been reading my ass off to get prepaired. I have a million questions but I heard you mention installing from scratch and this interests me. I heard, only once so I still question, that it would be best to do a minimal installtion and add everything I would want manually. This way I will see where probs crop up I guess. Is this the way to go. I am about to do Mankdrake 8.0 (after much more reading).

Really wish I could help. I'm torn between learning Linux/Unix and then programing, going for administration online school (I'm 33 w/ a child and work) or going for an MSCE (possibly learning myself). My dilema. So much I want all at once. Actuall the Linux/Unix deal seems to offer all. Need advice here too. Never mind which shell is best to learn and editor, and language or o I need multiple of each. Told you I have many questions and I havn't but begun to learn and I find more questions as I go.

Wish me in at least starting one instead of throwing ithem all in thrash from the overwhelming task ahead and that wanting it now thing-a-ma-jig.

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I heard, only once so I still question, that it would be best to do a minimal installtion and add everything I would want manually.
For network-accessible servers, this is the way to go. Every piece of software you put on any system represents a potential security hole; plus, for a server, you often end up needing very little software anyways. A pure server generally just sits in a corner except for the rare occasions you might log in to do maintenance.

For a desktop system, I'd say put on what looks good. A lot of people (me included) seem to like KDE. Be careful about installing server software, especially if the system will have internet access!

I remember the first time I helped a friend through a RedHat installation. He decided to install <i>everything</i>--so that, in his words, he would get "the full Linux experience." It was going to be a crashbox, so I decided, what the hell, do it his way. These days, you can only do that if you have a <i>lot</i> of hard disk space to spare.

As for getting training, I'd suggest going for Linux/Unix and programming. An MCSE certification is actually pretty much worthless these days and usually becomes null and void whenever MS feels like it =/ There's just so many "paper MCSEs" that the certification means nothing.

Speaking of which...if you want a certification that's actually worth something, I'd say get Cisco certified. I'm not Cisco certified myself (still in college), but I've seen enough people make a great career from such a certification that it seems well worth going for.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."