Testing Remote Desktop Connection

August 13, 2005 2:42:01 PM

I use to connect my home XPP computer using remote desktop connections, but
now I can't. I have gone thru every step by step configuration instruction
that I can find including the article
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp....
I have tested the connection on the local LAN using the local IP address and
computer name. I tried using the Remote Desktop Connection and the Remote
Desktop Web Connection. Nothing seems to work. I definely have the "allow
users to connect...." selected on the host computer. I have added all the
users that I can. I always get the error "The client could not connect to
the remote computer." Is there some new security feature here that I am not
aware of? I have the firewall exceptions configured as per articles.
Thanks for any help as I am now to the frustration phase of this project.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:52:42 PM

This page has some troubleshooting help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

Are you saying that testing over the local LAN fails? Or is it failing when
you try to connect from a remote location?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use to connect my home XPP computer using remote desktop connections, but
> now I can't. I have gone thru every step by step configuration
> instruction
> that I can find including the article
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp....
> I have tested the connection on the local LAN using the local IP address
> and
> computer name. I tried using the Remote Desktop Connection and the Remote
> Desktop Web Connection. Nothing seems to work. I definely have the
> "allow
> users to connect...." selected on the host computer. I have added all
> the
> users that I can. I always get the error "The client could not connect to
> the remote computer." Is there some new security feature here that I am
> not
> aware of? I have the firewall exceptions configured as per articles.
> Thanks for any help as I am now to the frustration phase of this project.
August 14, 2005 11:09:01 AM

I am saying that testing over the local LAN fails. I haven't even got to
testing remotely thru my router. I have been through the troubleshooting
help page earlier with no luck. There has got to be a "gotcha" here
somewhere.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> This page has some troubleshooting help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> Are you saying that testing over the local LAN fails? Or is it failing when
> you try to connect from a remote location?
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use to connect my home XPP computer using remote desktop connections, but
> > now I can't. I have gone thru every step by step configuration
> > instruction
> > that I can find including the article
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp....
> > I have tested the connection on the local LAN using the local IP address
> > and
> > computer name. I tried using the Remote Desktop Connection and the Remote
> > Desktop Web Connection. Nothing seems to work. I definely have the
> > "allow
> > users to connect...." selected on the host computer. I have added all
> > the
> > users that I can. I always get the error "The client could not connect to
> > the remote computer." Is there some new security feature here that I am
> > not
> > aware of? I have the firewall exceptions configured as per articles.
> > Thanks for any help as I am now to the frustration phase of this project.

August 14, 2005 1:48:55 PM

Is the Remote Desktop host PC listening on TCP Port 3389?

If not, is the Terminal Services service running? If not you need to start
it...

--

news:D 1AEA9EA-21BE-4818-B36F-16FB58699EDF@microsoft.com...
>I am saying that testing over the local LAN fails. I haven't even got to
> testing remotely thru my router. I have been through the troubleshooting
> help page earlier with no luck. There has got to be a "gotcha" here
> somewhere.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> This page has some troubleshooting help...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>>
>> Are you saying that testing over the local LAN fails? Or is it failing
>> when
>> you try to connect from a remote location?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use to connect my home XPP computer using remote desktop connections,
>> >but
>> > now I can't. I have gone thru every step by step configuration
>> > instruction
>> > that I can find including the article
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp....
>> > I have tested the connection on the local LAN using the local IP
>> > address
>> > and
>> > computer name. I tried using the Remote Desktop Connection and the
>> > Remote
>> > Desktop Web Connection. Nothing seems to work. I definely have the
>> > "allow
>> > users to connect...." selected on the host computer. I have added all
>> > the
>> > users that I can. I always get the error "The client could not connect
>> > the remote computer." Is there some new security feature here that I
>> > am
>> > not
>> > aware of? I have the firewall exceptions configured as per articles.
>> > Thanks for any help as I am now to the frustration phase of this
>> > project.

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:12:02 PM

I have the sort of same problem. I have teh remote connection enabled.
terminal services are running.yet none of the machines in teh local network
are able to find it through remote connection

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Is the Remote Desktop host PC listening on TCP Port 3389?
>
> If not, is the Terminal Services service running? If not you need to start
> it...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1AEA9EA-21BE-4818-B36F-16FB58699EDF@microsoft.com...
> >I am saying that testing over the local LAN fails. I haven't even got to
> > testing remotely thru my router. I have been through the troubleshooting
> > help page earlier with no luck. There has got to be a "gotcha" here
> > somewhere.
> >
> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> This page has some troubleshooting help...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
> >>
> >> Are you saying that testing over the local LAN fails? Or is it failing
> >> when
> >> you try to connect from a remote location?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >>

> >> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:08:55 PM

Any firewall software running on the Remote Desktop PC?

Some folks report NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote Desktop on a PC.
Check to see if your running anything like that, that maybe causing the
problem.

Are you calling the correct static LAN IP?

--

"nanjil" <nanjil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the sort of same problem. I have teh remote connection enabled.
> terminal services are running.yet none of the machines in teh local
> network
> are able to find it through remote connection
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is the Remote Desktop host PC listening on TCP Port 3389?
>>
>> If not, is the Terminal Services service running? If not you need to
>> start
>> it...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 1AEA9EA-21BE-4818-B36F-16FB58699EDF@microsoft.com...
>> >I am saying that testing over the local LAN fails. I haven't even got
>> > testing remotely thru my router. I have been through the
>> > troubleshooting
>> > help page earlier with no luck. There has got to be a "gotcha" here
>> > somewhere.

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:28:03 PM

Iit does not work whetehr it is connected through a wirless ip or wired
ethernet ip. I also do not think i have nav2005 software. The sp2 firewall
says everything should be ok as far as remote connection is concerned.
"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Any firewall software running on the Remote Desktop PC?
>
> Some folks report NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote Desktop on a PC.
> Check to see if your running anything like that, that maybe causing the
> problem.
>
> Are you calling the correct static LAN IP?
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "nanjil" <nanjil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the sort of same problem. I have teh remote connection enabled.
> > terminal services are running.yet none of the machines in teh local
> > network
> > are able to find it through remote connection
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the Remote Desktop host PC listening on TCP Port 3389?
> >>
> >> If not, is the Terminal Services service running? If not you need to
> >> start
> >> it...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >>

> >> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 1AEA9EA-21BE-4818-B36F-16FB58699EDF@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:18:57 PM

So is the PC listening on TCP Port 3389?

> Iit does not work whetehr it is connected through a wirless ip or wired
> ethernet ip. I also do not think i have nav2005 software. The sp2 firewall
> says everything should be ok as far as remote connection is concerned.
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Any firewall software running on the Remote Desktop PC?
>>
>> Some folks report NAV 2005 worm protection kills Remote Desktop on a PC.
>> Check to see if your running anything like that, that maybe causing the
>> problem.
>>
>> Are you calling the correct static LAN IP?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "nanjil" <nanjil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the sort of same problem. I have teh remote connection enabled.
>> > terminal services are running.yet none of the machines in teh local
>> > network
>> > are able to find it through remote connection

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:10:46 PM

Test using the normal RDP connectoid, not the web based method, just to see
if you can get a basic RDP link connected from another PC on your local LAN.
Over your local LAN make sure you use the local LAN IP of the desktop.

If you get that working, next test the normal RDP connectoid, not the web
based method, from a remote PC. Use the public IP of your router so you can
verify that TCP Port 3389 port forwarding is working correctly.

Its best to test one step at a time...as they say..."Patience is a
virtue"...:-)

--

> Well, we have made good progress. With your hints, I was able to
> re-configure Norton and get TCP Ports 3389 and 51126 (my web site
> identification port) to LISTEN. However, we aren't quite there yet. My
> Remote Desktop Web Connection now seems to be working because when I
> launch
> it, the connection screen comes up and this never happened when the ports
> were NOT LISTENING. When I hit the Connect button, the screen blanks and
> seems to be off trying to communicate with the host computer. However,
> after
> about 30 seconds, I get the message from VBScript:Remote Desktop
> Disconnected
> "The remote connection has timed-out. Please try connecting to the remote
> computer again." I have tried with Norton auto-protect and internet worm
> protection turned off with identical results.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The only thing I can suggest is Norton may be killing the connection.
>> Have
>> you tried stopping Norton? Does Norton have worm protection turned on? I
>> don't happen to use the product so I can't give you further advice about
>> Norton, but something is obviously killing RDP since you get the not
>> listening condition from the PortQry test...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...

August 22, 2005 9:37:16 PM

Sorry Al. I tried using the normal RDP connectoid over the local LAN and got
identical results. That is, I get the same timed out message. I do use the
local LAN IP of the desktop when trying to connect over local LAN and the
router IP when testing over the Internet. I was able to successfully connect
to another desktop on my work LAN using the same laptop as a client. So the
problem must be with the desktop (host) on my home network. If the ports are
listening and remote connections permitted is enabled, it is hard to imagine
what else it could be.

This is a tough one. I have been connecting to this host for over two years
without a problem and now all of a sudden it quicks working. I will keep
plunking away but will welcome any new hints. I am assuming that it quit
working when Norton worm protection was installed. However, this is the same
version of Norton that I have installed on my work computer and I didn't have
to do any special NAV configuration to get the RDP working.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Test using the normal RDP connectoid, not the web based method, just to see
> if you can get a basic RDP link connected from another PC on your local LAN.
> Over your local LAN make sure you use the local LAN IP of the desktop.
>
> If you get that working, next test the normal RDP connectoid, not the web
> based method, from a remote PC. Use the public IP of your router so you can
> verify that TCP Port 3389 port forwarding is working correctly.
>
> Its best to test one step at a time...as they say..."Patience is a
> virtue"...:-)
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, we have made good progress. With your hints, I was able to
> > re-configure Norton and get TCP Ports 3389 and 51126 (my web site
> > identification port) to LISTEN. However, we aren't quite there yet. My
> > Remote Desktop Web Connection now seems to be working because when I
> > launch
> > it, the connection screen comes up and this never happened when the ports
> > were NOT LISTENING. When I hit the Connect button, the screen blanks and
> > seems to be off trying to communicate with the host computer. However,
> > after
> > about 30 seconds, I get the message from VBScript:Remote Desktop
> > Disconnected
> > "The remote connection has timed-out. Please try connecting to the remote
> > computer again." I have tried with Norton auto-protect and internet worm
> > protection turned off with identical results.
> >
> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> The only thing I can suggest is Norton may be killing the connection.
> >> Have
> >> you tried stopping Norton? Does Norton have worm protection turned on? I
> >> don't happen to use the product so I can't give you further advice about
> >> Norton, but something is obviously killing RDP since you get the not
> >> listening condition from the PortQry test...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:46:03 PM

The only thing I can suggest is to see if Norton had any support forums that
you might post this issue to or contact their customer support folks.

Good luck...

--

!