Remote Desktop Connection doesn't work for just me

OK.

I've got Remote Desktop setup on my Win98SE laptop. It worked fine at
my house. I am now at my parents house and it doesn't. I brought my
linksys rounter from home, so that is the same and my computer is the
same. I just set my router up to my parents DSL modem. It's just
weird that my brother's Remote Desktop works OK (on a different
laptop), but mine doesn't. I can use internet fine thru the wireless.

The error I get is that the connection timed out and to try again.

If I take my computer to my sister's house, I CAN use remote desktop w/
the wireless setup at her house.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
9 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection doesn work

    So what PC are you trying to connect to?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    <standish22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK.
    >
    > I've got Remote Desktop setup on my Win98SE laptop. It worked fine at
    > my house. I am now at my parents house and it doesn't. I brought my
    > linksys rounter from home, so that is the same and my computer is the
    > same. I just set my router up to my parents DSL modem. It's just
    > weird that my brother's Remote Desktop works OK (on a different
    > laptop), but mine doesn't. I can use internet fine thru the wireless.
    >
    > The error I get is that the connection timed out and to try again.
    >
    > If I take my computer to my sister's house, I CAN use remote desktop w/
    > the wireless setup at her house.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks...

    The computer I'm trying to access is XP Prof 2002, sp2.

    I forgot to also mention that the router is not connected to a PC, it's
    just the DSL Modem and the router. This setup has worked for me in the
    past, and it works for my brother.

    Seems like it has to do w/ the wireless router, since I'm using remote
    desktop now at my sister's house...

    I know how to "Ping", but how do you release/renew the IP address?

    I'll try those things and see what happens.

    Hmmm... Have you tried to ping the RDP host PC? Have you tried a
    release/renew of the IP address your laptop is getting from the router?

    --

    > The computer I'm trying to access is XP Prof 2002, sp2.
    >
    > I forgot to also mention that the router is not connected to a PC, it's
    > just the DSL Modem and the router. This setup has worked for me in the
    > past, and it works for my brother.
    >
    > Seems like it has to do w/ the wireless router, since I'm using remote
    > desktop now at my sister's house...

    Go to "Start | Run" and type cmd at the command window. At the prompt use
    the command...

    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

    --

    >I know how to "Ping", but how do you release/renew the IP address?
    >
    > I'll try those things and see what happens.

    When I ping w/ the connection that doesn't work I get the following:
    Pinging X.X.X.X with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for X.X.X.X:

    I also tried the release and renew, and that didn't do anything.

    What IP is your laptop getting? Use the ipconfig command.

    --

    > When I ping w/ the connection that doesn't work I get the following:
    > Pinging X.X.X.X with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > Request timed out.
    > Request timed out.
    > Request timed out.
    > Request timed out.
    >
    > Ping statistics for X.X.X.X:
    > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    > Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    >

    > I also tried the release and renew, and that didn't do anything.

    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ipconfig

    Windows 98 IP Configuration

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :

    1 Ethernet adapter :

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

    2 Ethernet adapter :

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.11
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

    I am able to Ping 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.2. I am not able to ping
    255.0.0.0
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Well, the 10.0.0.11 IP is your laptop IP address. I meant can you ping the
    IP of the PC your trying to connect to with RDP? What is the IP of the RDP
    host? Is it in the 10.0.0.X address range?

    Also, the subnet looks funky to me. On my XP Pro laptop the subnet mask is
    255.255.255.0... Also, generally the gateway address is a X.X.X.1 address
    for most home users and consumer grade routers...although that can be
    anything you setup to be fair...Is your router's LAN IP 10.0.0.2?

    I had forgotten your laptop client is a W98 box. You can use the command
    winipcfg in the "Start | Run" command window. From there you can also do a
    release/renew of the IP address.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141698

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/winipcfg.htm

    http://lan2wan.com/~support/winipcfg.html

    I am also still not clear on what PC your trying to connect to using RDP and
    how it is connected to the public internet?

    --

    > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>ipconfig
    >
    > Windows 98 IP Configuration
    >
    > 0 Ethernet adapter :
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    >
    > 1 Ethernet adapter :
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    >
    > 2 Ethernet adapter :
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.11
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    >

    > I am able to Ping 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.2. I am not able to ping
    > 255.0.0.0

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP