Canon i965- World's Fastest Photo Printer (Why Not in U.S.?)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 31, 2004 8:08:11 AM

I notice this is available in England- prints
a 4X6 in 21 secs!
Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
Thanks.
Frank
Anonymous
March 31, 2004 9:19:52 AM

frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> I notice this is available in England- prints
> a 4X6 in 21 secs!
> Anyone know when it will hit our shores?

It's called the i960 here. It's missing the CD-printing tray.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 31, 2004 3:20:22 PM

do you have the link to the canon i965

"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
: I notice this is available in England- prints
: a 4X6 in 21 secs!
: Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
: Thanks.
: Frank
Anonymous
March 31, 2004 6:01:39 PM

then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
and the i965 claim 21?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:19:52 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
wrote:

>frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
>
>> I notice this is available in England- prints
>> a 4X6 in 21 secs!
>> Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
>

>It's called the i960 here. It's missing the CD-printing tray.
March 31, 2004 7:53:04 PM

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers...

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:20:22 -0700, "Life is fun"
<azganospam@goodnet.com> wrote:

>do you have the link to the canon i965
>

>"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>: I notice this is available in England- prints
>: a 4X6 in 21 secs!
>: Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
>: Thanks.
>: Frank

Anonymous
March 31, 2004 8:07:43 PM

> then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
> and the i965 claim 21?

Dunno, but it's the exact same printer!

The i960 is missing the CD-Printer tray.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 31, 2004 8:09:39 PM

frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
> and the i965 claim 21?

Also funny is how the resolution specs are different.

But I'm pretty sure it's the same printer. But Canon UK/Europe may of done
some tweaks on the printer.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 31, 2004 8:09:40 PM

i950 in Europe is replaced by the faster i965.

in USA, the i950 Europe = i960 USA

in Japan i950 Europe = Pixus 860i Japan, and i965 Europe = Pixus 960i

---

Here, the difference is that the older Pixus 860i has 4800x1200dpi, and
the newer Pixus 960i has 4800x2400dpi. (same across various model
designations in different countries)

------

However, what we don't have yet in the USA, but announced in Europe, is
the latest Pixus 990i (Europe i990), which includes one more color for a
total of (7) seven inks (all older models have 6 colors).
March 31, 2004 8:25:18 PM

the resolution specs are the same, read them carefully--probably worded
differently to avoid nuisance false advertising claims.

ps

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
>
> > then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
> > and the i965 claim 21?
> >

> Also funny is how the resolution specs are different.
>
> But I'm pretty sure it's the same printer. But Canon UK/Europe may of
done
> some tweaks on the printer.
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 31, 2004 10:50:45 PM

"PS" <pleasenospam@again.com> wrote in news:o hCac.42584$PY.36576
@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:

> the resolution specs are the same, read them carefully--probably worded
> differently to avoid nuisance false advertising claims.

Canon UK says:

Up to 4800 x 2400 dpi print resolution

Canon US says:

Maximum 4800 x 1200 dpi with microscopic 2 picoliter droplets

So there's a 1200dpi discrepancy. I wonder why there is a difference.

Maybe we should all use the European/International driver for our i960s :D

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 31, 2004 10:50:46 PM

> "PS" <pleasenospam@again.com> wrote in news:o hCac.42584$PY.36576
> @newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > the resolution specs are the same, read them carefully--probably worded
> > differently to avoid nuisance false advertising claims.
>

> Canon UK says:
>
> Up to 4800 x 2400 dpi print resolution
>
> Canon US says:
>
> Maximum 4800 x 1200 dpi with microscopic 2 picoliter droplets
>
> So there's a 1200dpi discrepancy. I wonder why there is a >difference.

Maybe the UK spec involves interpolation factor.
Anonymous
March 31, 2004 10:52:42 PM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:52Eac.78$37.8167
@news.siol.net:

> they say you can shoot up
> to 1 hour of movie (on 1G card) of DV quality.

Uhh:

The PowerShot S1 IS has a greatly enhanced Movie Mode that lets you shoot
up to sixty minutes* of DV-Quality VGA video with superior sound quality.

Notice the asterisk?

*Depends upon CF card size, speed and movie mode.

I think it was pretty clear.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s1is/features2.html

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 1, 2004 1:06:44 AM

Lucas Tam typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:52Eac.78$37.8167
> @news.siol.net:
>
>> they say you can shoot up
>> to 1 hour of movie (on 1G card) of DV quality.
>
> Uhh:
>
> The PowerShot S1 IS has a greatly enhanced Movie Mode that lets you
> shoot up to sixty minutes* of DV-Quality VGA video with superior
> sound quality.
>
> Notice the asterisk?
>
> *Depends upon CF card size, speed and movie mode.
>
> I think it was pretty clear.
>
> http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s1is/features2.html

Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
(haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file than 1G.
So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT one hour DV
quality, but x times 9 minutes.
Anonymous
April 1, 2004 1:33:26 AM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:QEEac.81$37.8409
@news.siol.net:

> Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
> (haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file than 1G.
> So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT one hour DV
> quality, but x times 9 minutes.

Oh really... that dry.

Does your camera support FAT32?

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 1, 2004 1:35:54 PM

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:01:39 GMT, frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
>and the i965 claim 21?

But what is the Pont when they only last for 2 Years, All bubble jets use
Water based inks..

Epson the Only way to go.

>On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:19:52 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
>wrote:
>
>>frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
>>
>>> I notice this is available in England- prints
>>> a 4X6 in 21 secs!
>>> Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
>>

>>It's called the i960 here. It's missing the CD-printing tray.

April 1, 2004 1:35:55 PM

puss@purrpurr.com wrote in news:rbem60556cu6t4qdgop4l9mejbik5ngsq1@4ax.com:

> But what is the Pont when they only last for 2 Years, All bubble jets use
> Water based inks..
>
> Epson the Only way to go.

Not anymore. Canon has a black Pigment ink.

And even regular BJ prints last longer than 2 years according to some
posters.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 1, 2004 7:49:33 PM

Lucas Tam typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:QEEac.81$37.8409
> @news.siol.net:
>
>> Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
>> (haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file
>> than 1G. So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT
>> one hour DV quality, but x times 9 minutes.
>
> Oh really... that dry.
>
> Does your camera support FAT32?

Yep. That's why i could insert microdrive with 1G or more, but as i said, x
times 9 minutes...
April 1, 2004 10:10:36 PM

Yes, that is the UK spec. But you neglected to reference the footnote:

Resolution
¹ Maximum resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi used at the bottom edge of the
page

Starts to look a lot like the US Spec... Have to read these things
CAREFULLY.

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "PS" <pleasenospam@again.com> wrote in news:o hCac.42584$PY.36576
> @newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > the resolution specs are the same, read them carefully--probably worded
> > differently to avoid nuisance false advertising claims.
>

> Canon UK says:
>
> Up to 4800 x 2400 dpi print resolution
>
> Canon US says:
>
> Maximum 4800 x 1200 dpi with microscopic 2 picoliter droplets
>
> So there's a 1200dpi discrepancy. I wonder why there is a difference.
>
> Maybe we should all use the European/International driver for our i960s :D
>

> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 1, 2004 11:04:05 PM

Still wanting to know why the descrepancy in
speed. And is the i990 significantly different
(except for the number of ink tanks.)?
Thanks.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:06:44 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>Lucas Tam typed:
>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:52Eac.78$37.8167
>> @news.siol.net:
>>
>>> they say you can shoot up
>>> to 1 hour of movie (on 1G card) of DV quality.
>>
>> Uhh:
>>
>> The PowerShot S1 IS has a greatly enhanced Movie Mode that lets you
>> shoot up to sixty minutes* of DV-Quality VGA video with superior
>> sound quality.
>>
>> Notice the asterisk?
>>
>> *Depends upon CF card size, speed and movie mode.
>>
>> I think it was pretty clear.
>>
>> http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s1is/features2.html
>
>Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
>(haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file than 1G.
>So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT one hour DV
>quality, but x times 9 minutes.

Anonymous
April 2, 2004 3:18:01 AM

>> Does your camera support FAT32?
>
> Yep. That's why i could insert microdrive with 1G or more, but as i
> said, x times 9 minutes...

FAT32 is for cards larger than 2GB.

Hopefully Canon will give you a firmware fix ...

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
April 2, 2004 8:20:49 PM

Lucas Tam typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>
>>> Does your camera support FAT32?
>>
>> Yep. That's why i could insert microdrive with 1G or more, but as i
>> said, x times 9 minutes...
>
> FAT32 is for cards larger than 2GB.
>
> Hopefully Canon will give you a firmware fix ...

I think that's not needed for two reasons:
1.) this camera was tested succesfully with 4G card, so as said, it does use
FAT32
2.) it's not even near probability of me using 1G or more CF cards...i'll
rather buy DV camera....
remember that i bought this digital camera merely for pictures. I can live
with 2 min clips, since i'll more or less shoot it at hoem, where i can
quickly transfer it to PC...
But problem of this camera is not FAT32, but not being able to store files
larger than 1G - it's not FAT system's fault, but something else...
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 8:22:49 PM

frank1492 typed:

> Still wanting to know why the descrepancy in
> speed. And is the i990 significantly different
> (except for the number of ink tanks.)?
> Thanks.

I personally doubt that there's any difference between US and UK model. One
of them is putting wrong data on it's addvertisement. Which one...i think
one who's claiming better and faster specs...

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:06:44 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>
>> Lucas Tam typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in news:52Eac.78$37.8167
>>> @news.siol.net:

>>> Uhh:
>>>
>>> The PowerShot S1 IS has a greatly enhanced Movie Mode that lets you
>>> shoot up to sixty minutes* of DV-Quality VGA video with superior
>>> sound quality.
>>>
>>> Notice the asterisk?
>>>
>>> *Depends upon CF card size, speed and movie mode.
>>>
>>> I think it was pretty clear.
>>>
>>> http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s1is/features2.html
>>
>> Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
>> (haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file
>> than 1G. So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT
>> one hour DV quality, but x times 9 minutes.
April 5, 2004 10:22:54 PM

The UK product specification says: up to 4800 X 2400. But you need to read
the footnote which shows:

Resolution
¹ Maximum resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi used at the bottom edge of the
page

Starts to look a lot like the US Spec... Have to read these things
CAREFULLY. Canon is probably more careful about its performance claims in
the US due to the litigious character of the technology consumer...

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> frank1492 typed:
>
> > Still wanting to know why the descrepancy in
> > speed. And is the i990 significantly different
> > (except for the number of ink tanks.)?
> > Thanks.
> >

> I personally doubt that there's any difference between US and UK model.
One
> of them is putting wrong data on it's addvertisement. Which one...i think
> one who's claiming better and faster specs...
>

> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:06:44 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> > <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
> >
> >> Lucas Tam typed:

> >> Yep, but still a lie. It can't shoot one hour even with 100 G card
> >> (haha...), And that's because this camera can't save bigger file
> >> than 1G. So, you must start a new clip every 9 minutes. So, it's NOT
> >> one hour DV quality, but x times 9 minutes.

April 5, 2004 10:22:55 PM

I'm sure it is EXACTLY the same printer, except for the DVD tray kit,
regardless of differences in how the specifications were written.

Dick

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:22:54 GMT, "PS" <pleasenospam@again.com> wrote:

>The UK product specification says: up to 4800 X 2400. But you need to read
>the footnote which shows:
>
> Resolution
> ¹ Maximum resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi used at the bottom edge of the
>page
>

>Starts to look a lot like the US Spec... Have to read these things
>CAREFULLY. Canon is probably more careful about its performance claims in
>the US due to the litigious character of the technology consumer...
April 6, 2004 4:38:21 AM

They have slower seconds

"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> then why does the i960 claim 37 secs for a 4x6 print
> and the i965 claim 21?
>

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:19:52 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >frank1492 <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
> >
> >> I notice this is available in England- prints
> >> a 4X6 in 21 secs!
> >> Anyone know when it will hit our shores?
> >

> >It's called the i960 here. It's missing the CD-printing tray.

April 6, 2004 4:41:31 AM

Could one get a cd tray kit for the i960?

!