allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have a clue as to what's going on with Remote
Desktop. I have a PC at work and use my computer at home to connect via
Remote Desktop. This is connected to a domain (not a workgroup). My PC at
home is configured as a workgroup and I connect via DSL to my work PC and log
onto the domain. Generically this works fine. The problem I run into is that
at random times after sometimes single successful (other times multiple)
connects from home, when I try to log in again Remote desktop is NOT able to
connect to my work PC. It gets far enough to recognize my domain password
because when I put in the wrong password it tells me right away. But after
accepting my password my desktop session does NOT get established and after
about 30 seconds the remote desktop session just disappears.

I have found that a workaround for this issue is to log onto the remote work
PC by logging on as a LOCAL user (not onto the domain) with admin rights.
This logs in successfully, then I log off and I'm then able to log back onto
the work PC and log onto the domain as usual using my company supplied domain
user name.

However, this workaround is very painful since it causes me to lose all my
desktop apps which I have to reestablish once I get a successful connection
back onto the domain.

I am a software engineer and do a lot of work from home via Remote Desktop
so I frequently log on remotely, disconnect, log on at work then come home
and do it all over again. Many times I can get 5-10 successful remote desktop
connections before this problem happens but other times it locks up after
just a single remote desktop connection.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when this happens, it appears to be
just totally random. The indications are that some process locks up on the
remote work PC which for some reason logging on as a LOCAL user through
remote desktop seems to release and then it works fine again until the next
occurrence.

I must have this happen at least 3-5 times (sometimes more) every single
week with all the work I do from home.

Both machines are on Windows XP Pro with the latest updates.

Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

--
Thanks
Allen

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

HI again,

I know there are people from Microsoft that monitors this news group as I
see responses from you guys all the time on other posts. May I ask why it is
that this question continues to go w/o even the briefest of responses? I'm
looking for some input on what processes I need to check so it can be
determined what is causing this problem. This BUG is causing me to lose a lot
of productivity time as I'm having to "frequently" force a logout of my
domain user account! This simply should NOT happen but the reality is that is
happens several times per week!

It is quite clear that when I force a logout of my domain user account via a
LOCAL user account login through Remote desktop, and then the domain user
login starts functioning again that some process on my WORK PC is getting
into some kind of HUNG state! I would simply have to consider this as a
bonafide bug in the OS.

It would be nice to get some input from someone from MS.

--
Thanks
Allen

"Allen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone might have a clue as to what's going on with Remote
> Desktop. I have a PC at work and use my computer at home to connect via
> Remote Desktop. This is connected to a domain (not a workgroup). My PC at
> home is configured as a workgroup and I connect via DSL to my work PC and log
> onto the domain. Generically this works fine. The problem I run into is that
> at random times after sometimes single successful (other times multiple)
> connects from home, when I try to log in again Remote desktop is NOT able to
> connect to my work PC. It gets far enough to recognize my domain password
> because when I put in the wrong password it tells me right away. But after
> accepting my password my desktop session does NOT get established and after
> about 30 seconds the remote desktop session just disappears.
>
> I have found that a workaround for this issue is to log onto the remote work
> PC by logging on as a LOCAL user (not onto the domain) with admin rights.
> This logs in successfully, then I log off and I'm then able to log back onto
> the work PC and log onto the domain as usual using my company supplied domain
> user name.
>
> However, this workaround is very painful since it causes me to lose all my
> desktop apps which I have to reestablish once I get a successful connection
> back onto the domain.
>
> I am a software engineer and do a lot of work from home via Remote Desktop
> so I frequently log on remotely, disconnect, log on at work then come home
> and do it all over again. Many times I can get 5-10 successful remote desktop
> connections before this problem happens but other times it locks up after
> just a single remote desktop connection.
>
> There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when this happens, it appears to be
> just totally random. The indications are that some process locks up on the
> remote work PC which for some reason logging on as a LOCAL user through
> remote desktop seems to release and then it works fine again until the next
> occurrence.
>
> I must have this happen at least 3-5 times (sometimes more) every single
> week with all the work I do from home.
>
> Both machines are on Windows XP Pro with the latest updates.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Allen

Allen.

Just to let you know, no one from Microsoft is paid to check in on these
forums. If someone from Microsoft does do so, they do so of their own free
will and time.

If this is really causing you this much grief, then call Microsoft PSS and
pay for them to find a solution.

That being said, it sounds like the problem is to do with your domain at
work. Have you tried connecting to another computer (not at your work), and
seeing if the problem exists there?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Matt,

Thanks, actually I thought that was part of their job description so I stand
corrected. :)

Anyway, the thing is that I log in via Remote Desktop to my work domain
account more often than anyone else at my company and this involves fairly
frequent and consistent login/logout sequences. Usually it is after a few of
these logout/login sequences, that the ability to log into the domain stops
working but all I need to do to get it working again is to log in as a LOCAL
user (again through Remote Desktop) to my work PC, log out and then I can
successfully log back in to my domain user account. This is in some way
releasing some Windows process on my work PC which then allows proper domain
login once again.

I use Remote Desktop extensively as I find it a very convenient way of doing
my Software development work and not having to worry about losing any work if
my DSL line hiccups or something. If it makes a difference, once I log in via
Remote Desktop I then establish a Reflections tunnel (via XDMCP) to a Solaris
workstation which is where all my development takes place.

No one else at work ever has this problem but then again noone else ever
uses RD as extensively as I do nor with near as many applications, etc.

Sorry to digress but that's just a bit of background.

Thanks again for letting me know about MS monitoring of this news group.

--
Thanks
Allen

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> Allen.
>
> Just to let you know, no one from Microsoft is paid to check in on these
> forums. If someone from Microsoft does do so, they do so of their own free
> will and time.
>
> If this is really causing you this much grief, then call Microsoft PSS and
> pay for them to find a solution.
>
> That being said, it sounds like the problem is to do with your domain at
> work. Have you tried connecting to another computer (not at your work), and
> seeing if the problem exists there?
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

rfsonders

Allen.
I am having the exact same problem with a Remote Desktop connection to my office PC. The office PC locks up hard. Once I am back in the office, the box needs a hard reboot.
Did you ever find a solve for this?