After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and told me they
don't know what the problem is and they don't really help configuring the
Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this. I just installed a Linksys
BEFVP41 router on my local network with public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real) and
internal IP of 192.168.1.5. At home I have tried connecting both thru a
Linksys WRT54GS and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works. I have
been thru setting up a security policy and assigning it but no luck. I get
error 800 when I try to connect. All firewalls are off. Is there a
step-by-step guide to do this ? This is the first VPN I have tried to setup
and am not having any fun yet.

You might look at these links for help...

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=403&p_created=1084210613&p_sid=UhU*1UHh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNzaCBzZW50aW5lbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

http://forum.homenethelp.com/tm.asp?m=5590

http://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/linux/ssh/pub/sentinel/

http://pages.videotron.com/flogator/VPN_Instruction2.pdf

Beyond that post this question to the Broadband Reports VPN forum...

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vpn

I don't believe the native XP PPTP VPN client can connect to a
BEFVP41...although I could be wrong about that...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and told me
> they
> don't know what the problem is and they don't really help configuring the
> Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this. I just installed a
> Linksys
> BEFVP41 router on my local network with public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real)
> and
> internal IP of 192.168.1.5. At home I have tried connecting both thru a
> Linksys WRT54GS and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works. I
> have
> been thru setting up a security policy and assigning it but no luck. I
> get
> error 800 when I try to connect. All firewalls are off. Is there a
> step-by-step guide to do this ? This is the first VPN I have tried to
> setup
> and am not having any fun yet.

I looked at the links but nothing jumped out. If the XP client doesn't work
with Linksys befvp41, do you know of a client which does ?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> You might look at these links for help...
>
> http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=403&p_created=1084210613&p_sid=UhU*1UHh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNzaCBzZW50aW5lbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
> http://forum.homenethelp.com/tm.asp?m=5590
>
> http://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/linux/ssh/pub/sentinel/
>
> http://pages.videotron.com/flogator/VPN_Instruction2.pdf
>
> Beyond that post this question to the Broadband Reports VPN forum...
>
> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vpn
>
> I don't believe the native XP PPTP VPN client can connect to a
> BEFVP41...although I could be wrong about that...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and told me
> > they
> > don't know what the problem is and they don't really help configuring the
> > Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this. I just installed a
> > Linksys
> > BEFVP41 router on my local network with public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real)
> > and
> > internal IP of 192.168.1.5. At home I have tried connecting both thru a
> > Linksys WRT54GS and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works. I
> > have
> > been thru setting up a security policy and assigning it but no luck. I
> > get
> > error 800 when I try to connect. All firewalls are off. Is there a
> > step-by-step guide to do this ? This is the first VPN I have tried to
> > setup
> > and am not having any fun yet.

Apparently "SSH Sentinel" as noted in the links...:)

--

>I looked at the links but nothing jumped out. If the XP client doesn't
>work
> with Linksys befvp41, do you know of a client which does ?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You might look at these links for help...
>>
>> http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=403&p_created=1084210613&p_sid=UhU*1UHh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNzaCBzZW50aW5lbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>
>> http://forum.homenethelp.com/tm.asp?m=5590
>>
>> http://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/linux/ssh/pub/sentinel/
>>
>> http://pages.videotron.com/flogator/VPN_Instruction2.pdf
>>
>> Beyond that post this question to the Broadband Reports VPN forum...
>>
>> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vpn
>>
>> I don't believe the native XP PPTP VPN client can connect to a
>> BEFVP41...although I could be wrong about that...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and told me
>> > they
>> > don't know what the problem is and they don't really help configuring
>> > the
>> > Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this. I just installed a
>> > Linksys
>> > BEFVP41 router on my local network with public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not
>> > real)
>> > and
>> > internal IP of 192.168.1.5. At home I have tried connecting both thru
>> > Linksys WRT54GS and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works.
>> > have
>> > been thru setting up a security policy and assigning it but no luck. I
>> > get
>> > error 800 when I try to connect. All firewalls are off. Is there a
>> > step-by-step guide to do this ? This is the first VPN I have tried to
>> > setup
>> > and am not having any fun yet.

You also might read/lurk/post to the Broadband Reports Linksys forums..

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/linksys

--

> Apparently "SSH Sentinel" as noted in the links...:)
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I looked at the links but nothing jumped out. If the XP client doesn't
>>work
>> with Linksys befvp41, do you know of a client which does ?
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> You might look at these links for help...
>>>
>>> http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=403&p_created=1084210613&p_sid=UhU*1UHh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNzaCBzZW50aW5lbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>>
>>> http://forum.homenethelp.com/tm.asp?m=5590
>>>
>>> http://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/linux/ssh/pub/sentinel/
>>>
>>> http://pages.videotron.com/flogator/VPN_Instruction2.pdf
>>>
>>> Beyond that post this question to the Broadband Reports VPN forum...
>>>
>>> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vpn
>>>
>>> I don't believe the native XP PPTP VPN client can connect to a
>>> BEFVP41...although I could be wrong about that...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>>> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you opened port 1723 (MS VPN) on the routers?

Bob S.

"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and told me
> they
> don't know what the problem is and they don't really help configuring the
> Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this. I just installed a
> Linksys
> BEFVP41 router on my local network with public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real)
> and
> internal IP of 192.168.1.5. At home I have tried connecting both thru a
> Linksys WRT54GS and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works. I
> have
> been thru setting up a security policy and assigning it but no luck. I
> get
> error 800 when I try to connect. All firewalls are off. Is there a
> step-by-step guide to do this ? This is the first VPN I have tried to
> setup
> and am not having any fun yet.

"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and
> told me they don't know what the problem is and they don't really
> help configuring the Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this.
> I just installed a Linksys BEFVP41 router on my local network with
> public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real) and internal IP of 192.168.1.5.
> At home I have tried connecting both thru a Linksys WRT54GS
> and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works.

I don't have any help to offer, just commiseration. If you ever figure it
out, I'd like to know. I've been tinkering off and on for a year and a half
trying to get such an arrangement working, without success. I have a
BEFVP41 on one end and a WRT54G on the other.

I'm also under the impression the XP pptp client can't connect to a VP41,
and I've never heard of anyone getting it to work. I've only heard of a few
people who say they've successfully used a software vpn client to connect to
a VP41, and IIRC they were using SSH Sentinel with ipsec. But I couldn't
get SSH Sentinel to work, either--maybe I just didn't have everything setup
right.

When that didn't work, I tried turning off the VP41's hardware vpn and
instead using a XP-based vpn server behind the VP41. I've successfully done
that before, but couldn't even get that to work through the VP41.
Ironically, I can vpn into my home network from the outside through the
WRT54G, accessing a XP-based vpn server running on one of my home machines.
I just can't do the same thing with the VP41, nor get it to act as a
hardware vpn server itself.

Thanks for the sympathy--I'd rather have a solution but appreciate the time
spent letting me know your experience. I am begining to think this is a case
of marketing a technology product as an easy solution when in reality it is
not. I guess that's why "wan" guys make more than I do. Have you known
someone who is using Linksys' Quickvpn" ? I understand this is
usename/password based but is only supported by certain Linksys vpn routers
and I wonder if it works behind most/all routers people typically have at
home ? The drawback to this approach seems to be that, at least according to
the documentation, I have to change my ip setup on my lan to match the
default one on the vpn router. It says it will put itself on 10.x.x.x scheme
and the lan must be changed to match it. Don't know why.
Thanks again.

"dg1261" wrote:

> "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > After several hours with Linksys tech Support, they gave up and
> > told me they don't know what the problem is and they don't really
> > help configuring the Microsoft VPN client. My configuration is this.
> > I just installed a Linksys BEFVP41 router on my local network with
> > public IP of 64.52.3.3 (not real) and internal IP of 192.168.1.5.
> > At home I have tried connecting both thru a Linksys WRT54GS
> > and directly (PPPOE) to my DSL modem - neither works.
>
> I don't have any help to offer, just commiseration. If you ever figure it
> out, I'd like to know. I've been tinkering off and on for a year and a half
> trying to get such an arrangement working, without success. I have a
> BEFVP41 on one end and a WRT54G on the other.
>
> I'm also under the impression the XP pptp client can't connect to a VP41,
> and I've never heard of anyone getting it to work. I've only heard of a few
> people who say they've successfully used a software vpn client to connect to
> a VP41, and IIRC they were using SSH Sentinel with ipsec. But I couldn't
> get SSH Sentinel to work, either--maybe I just didn't have everything setup
> right.
>
> When that didn't work, I tried turning off the VP41's hardware vpn and
> instead using a XP-based vpn server behind the VP41. I've successfully done
> that before, but couldn't even get that to work through the VP41.
> Ironically, I can vpn into my home network from the outside through the
> WRT54G, accessing a XP-based vpn server running on one of my home machines.
> I just can't do the same thing with the VP41, nor get it to act as a
> hardware vpn server itself.

"Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the sympathy--I'd rather have a solution but appreciate
> the time spent letting me know your experience. I am begining to
> think this is a case of marketing a technology product as an easy
> solution when in reality it is not.

I imagine the company expects people to use two vpn routers--e.g., a VP41 on
both ends--instead of a software vpn client on one end. People who do that
report it's easy to setup and apparantly works well.

Sorry, I don't know anything about "QuickVPN".