PLEASE HELP - USB disaster !

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Hi,

I have a 3 yr old system with Athlon 1GHz processor and FIC
motherboard with VIA chipset. Apparently these m/b are known for their
poor USB. My system is freezing every time I try using either USB
scanner or PDA. (About 30 min on average before it freezes with
scanner, 5 min with PDA). I tried upgrading BIOS, VIA drivers,
installing USB patch, playing with BIOS settings - all attempts
failed.

As a last resort I am thinking of disabling on-board USB via BIOS and
installing a PCI USB card. Does it make any sense ? Also, the m/b
currently is only suporting USB 1.10; would I get USB 2.0 with a card,
or does it require additional m/b feaures ?

Thanks,

Eugene

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

I disabled ACPI in BIOS and this seems to have fixed the problem.