VPN + Win XP Pro

Don't know anything about VPN. Am running Win xp Pro at work on a peer to
peer (no domain) network. Internet is DSL shared through a Linksys WRT54G
Broadband Router. Our Network Switch is a Netgear JFS524. My boss would like
to be able to connect to his work machine (xp pro) from his home machine (xp
home) using a VPN. What is the advantage of using a VPN over RDP, and can I
accomplish it given the above configuration?

Thanks, Terry
1 answer Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Yes... Since the WRT54G is not a VPN end-point router you can run a VPN or
    SSH server on his PC and he can access his desktop with RDP through the
    tunnel...

    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html

    http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    Personally I use a SSH tunnel to access my small home network and run RDP
    through it to control two XP Pro desktops...

    The RDP data stream is natively encrypted so you could just run that if you
    wish...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Terry" <tds@fuse.net> wrote in message
    > Don't know anything about VPN. Am running Win xp Pro at work on a peer to
    > peer (no domain) network. Internet is DSL shared through a Linksys WRT54G
    > Broadband Router. Our Network Switch is a Netgear JFS524. My boss would
    > like to be able to connect to his work machine (xp pro) from his home
    > machine (xp home) using a VPN. What is the advantage of using a VPN over
    > RDP, and can I accomplish it given the above configuration?
    >
    > Thanks, Terry

vpn Windows XP