VPN + Win XP Pro

terry

Don't know anything about VPN. Am running Win xp Pro at work on a peer to
peer (no domain) network. Internet is DSL shared through a Linksys WRT54G
Broadband Router. Our Network Switch is a Netgear JFS524. My boss would like
to be able to connect to his work machine (xp pro) from his home machine (xp
home) using a VPN. What is the advantage of using a VPN over RDP, and can I
accomplish it given the above configuration?

Thanks, Terry

Yes... Since the WRT54G is not a VPN end-point router you can run a VPN or
SSH server on his PC and he can access his desktop with RDP through the
tunnel...

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Personally I use a SSH tunnel to access my small home network and run RDP
through it to control two XP Pro desktops...

The RDP data stream is natively encrypted so you could just run that if you
wish...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...