How to find WINS Server IP Address?

Setting up a VPN from laptop to work desktop, both WinXP Pro.

I gather I need to enter DNS Server ip address and WINS server ip address as
well in the VPN connection properties of the laptop.

How can I determine the ip address of the WINS server on the work desktop?

TIA,

Mark Hammer
Lake Oswego, Oregon, U.S.
3 answers Last reply
More about find wins server address

    From a command prompt;
    ipconfig /all

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mark Hammer" wrote:
    | Setting up a VPN from laptop to work desktop, both WinXP Pro.
    |
    | I gather I need to enter DNS Server ip address and WINS server ip address
    as
    | well in the VPN connection properties of the laptop.
    |
    | How can I determine the ip address of the WINS server on the work desktop?
    |
    | TIA,
    |
    | Mark Hammer
    | Lake Oswego, Oregon, U.S.

    Thanks Dave,

    I knew about the ipconfig command, but it doesn't return anything labelled
    WINS server.

    Should I use the same address as the DNS Server(s)?

    --Mark

    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > From a command prompt;
    > ipconfig /all
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Mark Hammer" wrote:
    > | Setting up a VPN from laptop to work desktop, both WinXP Pro.
    > |
    > | I gather I need to enter DNS Server ip address and WINS server ip
    > address
    > as
    > | well in the VPN connection properties of the laptop.
    > |
    > | How can I determine the ip address of the WINS server on the work
    > desktop?
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > |
    > | Mark Hammer
    > | Lake Oswego, Oregon, U.S.

    Then your network probably doesn't use WINS

    --

    "Mark Hammer" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    |
    | I knew about the ipconfig command, but it doesn't return anything labelled
    | WINS server.
    |
    | Should I use the same address as the DNS Server(s)?
    |
    | --Mark

IP Address Servers Windows XP