Remote Desktop vs. PCAnywhere

How does xp's remote desktop compare to programs like pcanywhere and carbon
copy? To use it, I assume the host has to have winxp and not 98se. I'd
have to upgrade. Just wondering if it's worth looking into. At the moment
the host only has windows 98se. It is also running norton internet
security.

Host would be sitting on a peer-to-peer lan with a direcway satellite
internet connection (regular modem is also connected, but it shares the
phone line with a fax/copier that i haven't figured out how to put on manual
receive yet lol). Remote has dsl connected and windows xp pro. The remote
has mcafee internet security.

Hmmm... I just remembered, there is a computer on our network that has
windows xp pro on it. I could start by trying to access that.

Suggestions on where to go for information?

Will it all work with the satellite connection on the host? PC Anywhere
said they don't support satellite connections because of latency. Will it
not work at all? Or just be slow.

Carla F. wrote:
> How does xp's remote desktop compare to programs like pcanywhere and
> carbon copy? To use it, I assume the host has to have winxp and not
> 98se. I'd have to upgrade. Just wondering if it's worth looking
> into. At the moment the host only has windows 98se. It is also
> running norton internet security.
>
> Host would be sitting on a peer-to-peer lan with a direcway satellite
> internet connection (regular modem is also connected, but it shares
> the phone line with a fax/copier that i haven't figured out how to
> put on manual receive yet lol). Remote has dsl connected and windows
> xp pro. The remote has mcafee internet security.
>
> Hmmm... I just remembered, there is a computer on our network that has
> windows xp pro on it. I could start by trying to access that.
>
> Suggestions on where to go for information?
>
> Will it all work with the satellite connection on the host? PC
> Anywhere said they don't support satellite connections because of
> latency. Will it not work at all? Or just be slow.

Well, if you would use something like UltraVNC - you get all of the features
and none of the cost.
However - Remote Desktop does everything I need to do on WIndows XP or my
servers.
If I had Windows XP Home edition - I would use UltraVNC.

Remote Desktop help..

Usually - Remote Sessions work fine over satellite - unless they are using
VPN or something else that uses time to help secure the connections. The
latency can cause the sessions to drop (times not synched) - thus unreliable
at the best. Something like UltraVNC by itself should be fine.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP