P4C800-E Deluxe and PCI Serial ATA card

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have a P4C800E deluxe mobo with P4 2.8
Attached I have DVD Writer, CD Writer and DVD Rom drives
Also have 2* IDE PATA 120Gb HDD's which are spanned (1Volume)
PLUS I have 4 * 250GB SATA (NOT RAID) drives all connected to the mobo SATA
ports.
I wanted to add a further internal 300GB SATA Drive and an external SATA
drive in a SATA/USB2 enclosure.
So i bought a PCI SATA card with 1 internal and 1 external connectors.

HOWEVER, with the PCI SATA card installed the PC wont boot.
Is this because i simply CANNOT add any further SATA ports?

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Darren

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Darren M Taylor" <darren@NOSPAMthemansionhouse.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
message news:ch4qra$rg$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I have a P4C800E deluxe mobo with P4 2.8
> Attached I have DVD Writer, CD Writer and DVD Rom drives
> Also have 2* IDE PATA 120Gb HDD's which are spanned (1Volume)
> PLUS I have 4 * 250GB SATA (NOT RAID) drives all connected to the mobo
SATA
> ports.
> I wanted to add a further internal 300GB SATA Drive and an external SATA
> drive in a SATA/USB2 enclosure.
> So i bought a PCI SATA card with 1 internal and 1 external connectors.
>
> HOWEVER, with the PCI SATA card installed the PC wont boot.
> Is this because i simply CANNOT add any further SATA ports?

Check BIOS settings for the Boot Configuration. Most likely the order gets
screwed up now that you have another controller installed.

Might also try the card in a different PCI slot.

Sharky

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have a second Promise Sata controler running with this mobo
With 4 x IDE dvd/cdrom on first onboard ide controler
2 x IDE HD on second onboard ide controler
4 x Sata HD on onboard sata promise controler
and 1 x sata HD on pci sata promise controler

Upgrade your bios to version 1017 !!
previous versions have problems with the bootconfiguration
With previous versions, everytime when you add a HD or controler the
bootconfiguration screwed up

Suc6, Martin Zijlstra

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message

> "Darren M Taylor" <darren@NOSPAMthemansionhouse.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:ch4qra$rg$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> I have a P4C800E deluxe mobo with P4 2.8
>> Attached I have DVD Writer, CD Writer and DVD Rom drives
>> Also have 2* IDE PATA 120Gb HDD's which are spanned (1Volume)
>> PLUS I have 4 * 250GB SATA (NOT RAID) drives all connected to the mobo
> SATA
>> ports.
>> I wanted to add a further internal 300GB SATA Drive and an external SATA
>> drive in a SATA/USB2 enclosure.
>> So i bought a PCI SATA card with 1 internal and 1 external connectors.
>>
>> HOWEVER, with the PCI SATA card installed the PC wont boot.
>> Is this because i simply CANNOT add any further SATA ports?
>
> Check BIOS settings for the Boot Configuration. Most likely the order gets
> screwed up now that you have another controller installed.
>
> Might also try the card in a different PCI slot.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have BIOS version 1017 already installed.
I checked the boot configuration, but as I had not actually even installed
any drives on the controller, there was nothing to change. and no reference
to the pci card.....

????