Remote Access to a Windows 2000 Desktop machine

Hi:

I know this forum says Win XP, but I did not see one for Windows 2000. I
have a pc in my building that runs windows 2000. This pc is our "Build" pc
for new versions of our software. I would like to be able to log into this
"Build" pc from my office. I cannot find much documentation on setting this
up. Is this even possible to allow a Windows2000 desktop to be a host? Is
so, can someone give me a link on to what drivers or programs I need to
install?

Thanks
Trac

Hi,

Trac Taylor wrote:
> I cannot find much documentation on setting this up
> Is this even possible to allow a Windows2000 desktop
> to be a host? Is so, can someone give me a link
> on to what drivers or programs I need to install?

Assuming you are referring to Remote Desktop and have...

a) Windows 2000 Professional: No.

b) Windows 2000 Server: Yes. Add the Terminal Services component.

If the answer applicable to you was "no", you may wish to consider some
third party software. The popular expensive choice is Symantec's "PC
Anywhere" and the popular free choice is VNC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)

Chris Priede wrote:
> Assuming you are referring to Remote Desktop and have...
>
> a) Windows 2000 Professional: No.
>
> b) Windows 2000 Server: Yes. Add the Terminal Services component.
>
> If the answer applicable to you was "no", you may wish to consider
> some third party software. The popular expensive choice is
> Symantec's "PC Anywhere" and the popular free choice is VNC:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

UltraVNC is likely the best choice:
http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks to both of you. I currently use VNC. But I was hoping for a standard
way to access the machines I need to. I have access to our servers through
Remote Desktop, and I was just hoping to do it the same way on our "Build"
machine..

Again, Thanks

Trac