Athlon XP or MD 64

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Hi

Sorry if this seems a bit dumb but I am looking for an opinion here.

The system UI am currently using is based on an Abit KG7 Raid motherbord,
SiS315-64mb graphics with 256 Ram. This was HOT off the press when I built
it and apart from a few quirks it works pretty well.

Now I am looking to upgrade - and what bits I dont re-use build into a new
machine for my son.

I have not kept an eye on the PC market for some time being relatively
content with my rig, so found that things have moved on somewhat and am not
totaly sure of the 'state of the art'

When I built the above system there was certain limitations on Motherboard
such as the max clock speed the board could take from the CPU - therefore a
'cheap' system vould be based on an XP1200 with a board that could only take
up to say an XP1800 chip set .

Obviosly I would like to build a system that will last a few years (this one
is approx 4-5 years old), would like it to be on a budget(ish) so I can
upgrade a few periphs and also get a copy of XP Home for my sone - still
running Win95!!!!

So - my question is this -

Should I gp for a high end XP chip set and if so what Mobo - would like
raid.

or - should I go for an AMD 64 system? - and if so what is the difference
between socket 754, 939 and 940?

Also - and this probably realy shows I am out of sync - what does Dual
Chanel memory mean?

Tahnks in advance.

If you cant help direct please point me in the direction of a knowledgeable
source.

GreenBoy

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:17:18 +0100, GreenBoy wrote:

> If you cant help direct please point me in the direction of a knowledgeable
> source.

OK, search for messages form me in the alt.comp.hardware.* groups. All
your questions should be answered. if you want to know a little more, look
at link below.