Linksys wireless problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 14, 2004 11:01:57 PM

I've been reading various post about wireless problems and Win XP SP2.

I thought I would post what has been happening with my network.

I have a Linksys wrk54g router hooked up to a desktop PC running Win XP Home
edition SP1.
I have a Linksys wusb54g usb adapter hooked up to another desktop PC running
Win XP Pro SP2.
I have a Linksys wpc54g notebook adapter on my Dell inspiron 1100 laptop
running Win XP Home edition SP2.

I didn't have any problems with the 2 desktops. The Linksys network monitor
works OK on SP1
and works on the second PC even after I installed SP2 on the second desktop
(wusb54g).

My laptop was a different story. I originally had SP1 on it and I was using
the wusb54g usb adapter
and network monitor without any problems. I decided to upgrade to SP2 and
still everything was
working OK. I decided to buy the wpc54g notebook adapter for my laptop and
leave the usb
adapter on the desktop. I followed the instruction for installing the
software and thats where the
problems started on my laptop. I got errors installing the software but
finally got it installed. Every
time the Linksys network monitor tried to execute I got the message "10093:
Successful WSAStartup
not yet performed." and I couldn't connect to the internet. I gave up trying
to use the Linksys monitor
and used the windows monitor instead. I was able to connect to the internet
but I had to manually start
and stop the network connection. If I didn't stop the connection before I
turned off my laptop, when
I turned it on the next time, the network would connect by itself and then
about 3 seconds later disconnect.
It would continue in this 3 second cycle of connecting/disconnecting until I
stopped the connection and
then manually started it again.

I later installed an FTP program on my laptop. The FTP program wouldn't
connect to the internet even
though the same program worked on my desktop and connected without any
problems. Thats when I
checked my firewall program to see what was being blocked. To my surprise,
the FTP program was
being blocked, and also the wpc54g.exe program. I changed the setting on
both entries and the FTP
program connected OK. I then tried starting the linksys network monitor
expecting the 10093 error,
but the monitor came up OK. I moved the wpc54g.exe program back into the
startup folder, changed
the setting so windows no longer controlled the connection, and re-booted
the laptop. The Linksys
network monitor came up without the 10093 error and my laptop connected to
the internet. So far
things seem to be working OK.

My original purpose of the wireless system was so my wife and I could get on
the internet at the same
time. So while she's on the internet on her desktop, I can connect from
either my desktop or laptop.
I haven't tried to network the drives of the 3 computers together yet, but I
don't think I'll have a problem.

Dave.

daparty
@
centurytel.
net
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 18, 2004 4:41:50 PM

Thank you for this info... This may be helpful to others who will hit the
10093/Linksys error in the future!

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

news:o EXQz6qyEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!