Multiple Simultaneous Remote Logins

August 31, 2005 7:36:02 PM

I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote into a
Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end workstation whose
resources are used by many. This is simple with Unix and Linux, but Windows
seams to only allow 1 remote desktop session at a time. Is there any
solution to this problem other than Windows server OS. IT won't allow that
OS on individual machines on the network.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:03:06 AM

rcieng wrote:
> I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
> into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
> workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
> Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
> session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
> Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
> the network.

Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?

As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
method - but no supported one.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

How would I implement the unsupported method? Do you have experience with
its stability?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> rcieng wrote:
> > I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
> > into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
> > workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
> > Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
> > session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
> > Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
> > the network.
>
> Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?
>
> As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
> method - but no supported one.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

September 1, 2005 3:44:51 PM

I have no experience with it's stability, but I know it's illegal from a
licensing standpoint.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"rcieng" <rcieng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How would I implement the unsupported method? Do you have experience with
> its stability?
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> rcieng wrote:
>> > I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
>> > into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
>> > workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
>> > Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
>> > session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
>> > Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
>> > the network.
>>
>> Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?
>>
>> As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
>> method - but no supported one.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

September 1, 2005 7:03:40 PM

Windows 2003 tends to try to be a master browser (being a server and all) on
the network and can cause headaches for IT (seen it happen before).
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:07:55 PM

Keith Patrick wrote:
> Windows 2003 tends to try to be a master browser (being a server and
> all) on the network and can cause headaches for IT (seen it happen
> before).

Only if you have no clue in how to setup a server, I would think.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I agree with Shenan.