Multiple Simultaneous Remote Logins

I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote into a
Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end workstation whose
resources are used by many. This is simple with Unix and Linux, but Windows
seams to only allow 1 remote desktop session at a time. Is there any
solution to this problem other than Windows server OS. IT won't allow that
OS on individual machines on the network.
6 answers Last reply
More about multiple simultaneous remote logins

    rcieng wrote:
    > I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
    > into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
    > workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
    > Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
    > session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
    > Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
    > the network.

    Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?

    As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
    method - but no supported one.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    How would I implement the unsupported method? Do you have experience with
    its stability?

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > rcieng wrote:
    > > I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
    > > into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
    > > workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
    > > Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
    > > session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
    > > Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
    > > the network.
    >
    > Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?
    >
    > As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
    > method - but no supported one.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    I have no experience with it's stability, but I know it's illegal from a
    licensing standpoint.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "rcieng" <rcieng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How would I implement the unsupported method? Do you have experience with
    > its stability?
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> rcieng wrote:
    >> > I would like to have multiple users be able to simultaneously remote
    >> > into a Windows XP Pro x64 machine. The machine is a high end
    >> > workstation whose resources are used by many. This is simple with
    >> > Unix and Linux, but Windows seams to only allow 1 remote desktop
    >> > session at a time. Is there any solution to this problem other than
    >> > Windows server OS. IT won't allow that OS on individual machines on
    >> > the network.
    >>
    >> Your IT people allow Windows XP but not Windows 2003?
    >>
    >> As for multiple RD connections in Windows XP - there *is* an unsupported
    >> method - but no supported one.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --
    >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Windows 2003 tends to try to be a master browser (being a server and all) on
    the network and can cause headaches for IT (seen it happen before).

    Keith Patrick wrote:
    > Windows 2003 tends to try to be a master browser (being a server and
    > all) on the network and can cause headaches for IT (seen it happen
    > before).

    Only if you have no clue in how to setup a server, I would think.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I agree with Shenan.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    > Keith Patrick wrote:
    >> Windows 2003 tends to try to be a master browser (being a server and
    >> all) on the network and can cause headaches for IT (seen it happen
    >> before).
    >
    > Only if you have no clue in how to setup a server, I would think.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --