Dual MP2400+ or P4-3.2/3.4G?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

For general web surf, gaming, occasional audio/video processing...
Which one would you pick?

The MP will probably use PC2100 vs P4 PC3200.... other than that I'd
tends to go for the dual. I ask coz my friend made couple of MP2400+
available for me to use.

Any suggestion on mobo for the dual MP2400? The only first-hand mobo
available seems to be Tyan Tiger s2466.

Ernest

Ernest Siu wrote:
> For general web surf, gaming, occasional audio/video processing...
> Which one would you pick?

Web surfing: either will have tons of power to spare ...
Gaming: with current games (which do not use more than one CPU) the P4 will
significantly beat the duallie
A/V processing: depends heavily on the application. Either the duallie will
thrash the P4 or the P4 will thrash the duallie.
Doing two of the above at the same time: duallie all the way :)

For most single-threaded tasks the P4 will easily beat the duallie. It's a
faster chip, with faster memory, a newer motherboard, etc etc. Essentially
no competition. However, as soon as you start getting into multithreading
apps or running several CPU-intensive things at once, the duallie will have
a big advantage simply because of the extra raw horsepower available.

> The MP will probably use PC2100 vs P4 PC3200.... other than that I'd
> tends to go for the dual. I ask coz my friend made couple of MP2400+
> available for me to use.
>
> Any suggestion on mobo for the dual MP2400? The only first-hand mobo
> available seems to be Tyan Tiger s2466.

I'd personally recommend the MSI K7D Master-L (red PCB, not green). I'm not
sure if it's in production any more, or if it's available from where you
are, but it's a quite nice board. The downside is that it has a relatively
poor voltage regulator setup, which limits the amount of overclocking that
can be done. Another downside is that this board does not run dual mobile
CPUs in a stable fashon (unlike most of the other dual socket A boards).
I've had my K7D with two modded and overclocked XP2500's running for about a
year and a half now without a single problem.

The ASUS A7M266-D is a somewhat quirky board (make sure you get the 1.04
rev), though has an excellent voltage regulator setup. My one ate it's BIOS
chip after a couple weeks of use (still to be replaced ...), but if you've
got the time and patience it's not a bad choice.

A board which I'm pretty sure still is in production is the Gigabyte 7DPXDW+
(or variations of). This is a similar board to the ASUS in terms of features
and quality, though tends to be a bit more forgiving.

Then, you've got the Tyan Tiger MP and MPX boards (ignoring the Thunder due
to price ...). I'm pretty sure the MP is long gone, and you wouldn't really
want that one anyhow except for a couple rather obscure reasons. The MPX is
a very solid board with essentially no tweaking abilities (and very few
onboard features), but also has the tendency to eat ATX power connector
plugs due to it's power draw profile. IIRC it draws more than it strictly
should through the ATX 5V lines, which eventually results in a scorched ATX
connector (and scorched board too if you're very unlucky). Finally, I'm
pretty sure you need to use registered memory with this board (as opposed to
the other three which will take up to two sticks unregistered). I wouldn't
say it's the best choice value-wise, but if it's the only one you can get
your hands on it'll work better than no board :)

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open