Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Terminal services manager no longer connects after install..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:27:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

After installing XP SP2 I am no longer able to use the terminal services
manager to monitor connected users and remote control using the Term Serv
manager that was installed from the 2003 Server Admin pak. This was a great
remote management utility for XP clients that is no longer useable with the
secure XP SP2 patch. No firewalls are involved, only difference is SP2
update. Has been verified on several machines. Please advise on how to get
this back. Dcom Perhaps?
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Russ wrote:
> After installing XP SP2 I am no longer able to use the terminal
> services manager to monitor connected users and remote control using
> the Term Serv manager that was installed from the 2003 Server Admin
> pak. This was a great remote management utility for XP clients that
> is no longer useable with the secure XP SP2 patch. No firewalls are
> involved, only difference is SP2 update. Has been verified on several
> machines. Please advise on how to get this back. Dcom Perhaps?

Download and install the Admin Pack for Windows 2003 SP1..
(Uninstall your old version if you can..)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/helh )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:05:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Shehan,
I am already using this version of admin pak. I acn connect to XP SP1
machines just fine but when trying to go to any SP2 machine it says "server
not found."

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Russ wrote:
> > After installing XP SP2 I am no longer able to use the terminal
> > services manager to monitor connected users and remote control using
> > the Term Serv manager that was installed from the 2003 Server Admin
> > pak. This was a great remote management utility for XP clients that
> > is no longer useable with the secure XP SP2 patch. No firewalls are
> > involved, only difference is SP2 update. Has been verified on several
> > machines. Please advise on how to get this back. Dcom Perhaps?
>
> Download and install the Admin Pack for Windows 2003 SP1..
> (Uninstall your old version if you can..)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/helh )
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:50:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Russ wrote:
> After installing XP SP2 I am no longer able to use the terminal
> services manager to monitor connected users and remote control using
> the Term Serv manager that was installed from the 2003 Server Admin
> pak. This was a great remote management utility for XP clients that
> is no longer useable with the secure XP SP2 patch. No firewalls are
> involved, only difference is SP2 update. Has been verified on
> several machines. Please advise on how to get this back. Dcom
> Perhaps?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Download and install the Admin Pack for Windows 2003 SP1..
> (Uninstall your old version if you can..)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/helh )

Russ wrote:
> Shehan,
> I am already using this version of admin pak. I acn connect to XP SP1
> machines just fine but when trying to go to any SP2 machine it says
> "server not found.

Russ,

Please note the spelling of my name. =)

I would still uninstall and reinstall. Also, did you setup said machines so
that Terminal Services could be managed remotely?

For your Terminal Services Manager (Using it on a Remote Desktop) need,
enter the following in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Add a value named: "AllowRemoteRPC"
Type: "REG_DWORD"
Value Data: "1"

Shouldn't require a reboot or anything, should just allow you to start using
Terminal Services Manager to manage the XP box in question (the one you just
added the regkey to.)

Hope that helps..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:13:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I tired your registry settings on both machines that were involved in the
connection and still could not get through. I compared the registry settings
from a W2K3 Server Box and found that this was enabled on the server. By
default this is set to deny on XP SP2. Once set to 0 I was able to connect
again to manage the Session and remote control remotely from any W2K3 SP1
adminpak capable machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
fDenyTSConnections
REG_DWORD
Value - 0


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Russ wrote:
> > After installing XP SP2 I am no longer able to use the terminal
> > services manager to monitor connected users and remote control using
> > the Term Serv manager that was installed from the 2003 Server Admin
> > pak. This was a great remote management utility for XP clients that
> > is no longer useable with the secure XP SP2 patch. No firewalls are
> > involved, only difference is SP2 update. Has been verified on
> > several machines. Please advise on how to get this back. Dcom
> > Perhaps?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Download and install the Admin Pack for Windows 2003 SP1..
> > (Uninstall your old version if you can..)
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> > ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/helh )
>
> Russ wrote:
> > Shehan,
> > I am already using this version of admin pak. I acn connect to XP SP1
> > machines just fine but when trying to go to any SP2 machine it says
> > "server not found.
>
> Russ,
>
> Please note the spelling of my name. =)
>
> I would still uninstall and reinstall. Also, did you setup said machines so
> that Terminal Services could be managed remotely?
>
> For your Terminal Services Manager (Using it on a Remote Desktop) need,
> enter the following in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
>
> Add a value named: "AllowRemoteRPC"
> Type: "REG_DWORD"
> Value Data: "1"
>
> Shouldn't require a reboot or anything, should just allow you to start using
> Terminal Services Manager to manage the XP box in question (the one you just
> added the regkey to.)
>
> Hope that helps..
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>
!