My information comes from the several Remote Desktop articles
referenced here, which I've read:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/russel_may18.mspx

1. My desktop and laptop (both XP Home) are networked and on cable.

2. My desktop contains all of my applications and huge email and
document directories.

3. My laptop contains no emails, 2/3 of the document folders/files,
and a couple of software programs for carrying out literary projects.

4. I'd like the laptop partial document directory to be synchronized
with the desktop.

5. I find the briefcase method to be logistically confusing.

6. After reading all the articles at the URL above, I wondered if the
material typed into the client (laptop) alters the files on the host
(desktop), but does NOT keep a copy on the laptop. Is that correct?

7. Does Remote Desktop have a role to play in my scheme?

Thanks.

MOB wrote:
> My information comes from the several Remote Desktop articles
> referenced here, which I've read:
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/russel_may18.mspx
>
> 1. My desktop and laptop (both XP Home) are networked and on cable.
>
> 2. My desktop contains all of my applications and huge email and
> document directories.
>
> 3. My laptop contains no emails, 2/3 of the document folders/files,
> and a couple of software programs for carrying out literary projects.
>
> 4. I'd like the laptop partial document directory to be synchronized
> with the desktop.
>
> 5. I find the briefcase method to be logistically confusing.
>
> 6. After reading all the articles at the URL above, I wondered if the
> material typed into the client (laptop) alters the files on the host
> (desktop), but does NOT keep a copy on the laptop. Is that correct?
>
> 7. Does Remote Desktop have a role to play in my scheme?

Should have read more carfefully.
You do not even have the option of Remote Desktop..
You said both were XP Home Edition.

=)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:18:47 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>MOB wrote:
>> My information comes from the several Remote Desktop articles
>> referenced here, which I've read:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/russel_may18.mspx
>>
>> 1. My desktop and laptop (both XP Home) are networked and on cable.
>>
>> 6. After reading all the articles at the URL above, I wondered if the
>> material typed into the client (laptop) alters the files on the host
>> (desktop), but does NOT keep a copy on the laptop. Is that correct?
>>
>> 7. Does Remote Desktop have a role to play in my scheme?
>
>Should have read more carfefully.
>You do not even have the option of Remote Desktop..
>You said both were XP Home Edition.
>=)
>--
>Shenan Stanley MS-MVP

I did read carefully and I did see the part about XP Professional, but
I also saw this: "... first you need Windows XP Professional on your
computer to serve as the Remote Desktop host. (In my scenario, this is
the office computer that I want to use from home.) You need a client
machine. (In my scenario, it's my home computer.) Actually, your
client machine can be any machine on which you install the Remote
Desktop client software. It can run Windows XP Home Edition, Windows
XP Professional, or any version since Windows 95."

And later on, I saw other references to the Home edition, so I got the
impression that if there was a will, there was a way to get RD to work
without the XP Pro.

Assuming I *did* have XP Pro on at least my desktop, *then* how would
you respond to my query?

MOB

If you want to access/control a XP Pro desktop remotely then Remote Desktop
will work just fine. You can use printer and drive redirection to map
devices to your remote PC and use them just like you were sitting in front
of the remote PC at work. See this page for help setting up Remote Desktop.

You will need to contact your work network administrators about forwarding
TCP Port 3389 through any office firewall to your work PCs IP address. They
also may require access to the office network via VPN. They can also help
you with that...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:42:34 -0400, MOB <mobrien11@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:18:47 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
><newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>MOB wrote:
>>> My information comes from the several Remote Desktop articles
>>> referenced here, which I've read:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/russel_may18.mspx
>>>
>>> 1. My desktop and laptop (both XP Home) are networked and on cable.
>>>
>>> 6. After reading all the articles at the URL above, I wondered if the
>>> material typed into the client (laptop) alters the files on the host
>>> (desktop), but does NOT keep a copy on the laptop. Is that correct?
>>>
>>> 7. Does Remote Desktop have a role to play in my scheme?
>>
>>Should have read more carfefully.
>>You do not even have the option of Remote Desktop..
>>You said both were XP Home Edition.
>>=)
>>--
>>Shenan Stanley MS-MVP
>
>I did read carefully and I did see the part about XP Professional, but
>I also saw this: "... first you need Windows XP Professional on your
>computer to serve as the Remote Desktop host. (In my scenario, this is
>the office computer that I want to use from home.) You need a client
>machine. (In my scenario, it's my home computer.) Actually, your
>client machine can be any machine on which you install the Remote
>Desktop client software. It can run Windows XP Home Edition, Windows
>XP Professional, or any version since Windows 95."
>And later on, I saw other references to the Home edition, so I got the
>impression that if there was a will, there was a way to get RD to work
>without the XP Pro.
>Assuming I *did* have XP Pro on at least my desktop, *then* how would
>you respond to my query?
>MOB

I went to the Windows XP Professional website and found exactly the
information I was looking for by taking the Work Smarter From Home
tour and clicking on Get the Most from your Laptop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/wmx/wkathm.asp -

I found the answer to my question and also learned of other benefits,
regarding wireless, for example. Now if I can just find out how much
an upgrade to XP Pro costs, .............. Hold everything!!!

I know you won't appreciate this, but how would I know this until now,
when I was looking to solve a particular problem?

I have Windows XP Professional on my Desktop!!!

And XP Home Edition on my laptop.

I'll go find out how to proceed from here. : )

MOB