Hi,
I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.

Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

i see. can i use like pcanywhere?? Thanks :)

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> You need to have TCP Port 3389 open on the router to the private LAN IP of
> the laptop in order for Remote Desktop to work from your university
> computer.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> If you can't get your landlord to open TCP Port 3389 then you can look at
> something like MyWebExPc to access the device...
>
> http://www.mywebexpc.com
>
> It works, but its very slow in my experience...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
> > running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
> > to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
> > I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
> > to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
> > was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
> > asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.
> >
> > Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

You need to have TCP Port 3389 open on the router to the private LAN IP of
the laptop in order for Remote Desktop to work from your university
computer.

If you can't get your landlord to open TCP Port 3389 then you can look at
something like MyWebExPc to access the device...

http://www.mywebexpc.com

It works, but its very slow in my experience...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

<azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
> running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
> to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
> I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
> to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
> was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
> asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.
>
> Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

Joe

I see you are in school - but if you can afford Go2MyPC - it seems to get by
any security, ports, firewalls, I have seen with no changes and would allow
you access from any computer in the world that has access just to the
internet - no matter the OS.

>i see. can i use like pcanywhere?? Thanks :)
>

> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>> You need to have TCP Port 3389 open on the router to the private LAN IP
>> of
>> the laptop in order for Remote Desktop to work from your university
>> computer.
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> If you can't get your landlord to open TCP Port 3389 then you can look at
>> something like MyWebExPc to access the device...
>>
>> http://www.mywebexpc.com
>>
>> It works, but its very slow in my experience...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
>> > running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
>> > to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
>> > I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
>> > to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
>> > was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
>> > asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.
>> >
>> > Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

thats true, gotomypc would be a better choice but it will be hard for
me to get it because i am on a very tight budget. So gotomypc would
work if there are open ports available on the router right???So do you
guys know which ports are open by default which i can use without
asking my landlord to change anything. I really dont wanna talk about
this stuff with my landlord, they are really rude ppl and they wont
like it i think HAHA :)

Thanks guys :)

Joe wrote:
> I see you are in school - but if you can afford Go2MyPC - it seems to get by
> any security, ports, firewalls, I have seen with no changes and would allow
> you access from any computer in the world that has access just to the
> internet - no matter the OS.
>
> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >i see. can i use like pcanywhere?? Thanks :)
> >

> > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> >> You need to have TCP Port 3389 open on the router to the private LAN IP
> >> of
> >> the laptop in order for Remote Desktop to work from your university
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
> >>
> >> If you can't get your landlord to open TCP Port 3389 then you can look at
> >> something like MyWebExPc to access the device...
> >>
> >> http://www.mywebexpc.com
> >>
> >> It works, but its very slow in my experience...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> >> benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...
> >>

> >> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joe

There is no port playing or anyting with go2mypc - you just load the service
side on your machine at school - log onto the website from any internet
browser anywhere - and it just works. No VPN, ports or anything to
configure.

I'm pretty sure you get a 15 day or 30 day trial - just try it - your
landlord won't even have to know.

> thats true, gotomypc would be a better choice but it will be hard for
> me to get it because i am on a very tight budget. So gotomypc would
> work if there are open ports available on the router right???So do you
> guys know which ports are open by default which i can use without
> asking my landlord to change anything. I really dont wanna talk about
> this stuff with my landlord, they are really rude ppl and they wont
> like it i think HAHA :)
>
> Thanks guys :)
>

> Joe wrote:
>> I see you are in school - but if you can afford Go2MyPC - it seems to get
>> by
>> any security, ports, firewalls, I have seen with no changes and would
>> allow
>> you access from any computer in the world that has access just to the
>> internet - no matter the OS.
>>
>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >i see. can i use like pcanywhere?? Thanks :)

Yes, but then you have the same issue as Remote Desktop, ie. you need a port
or ports open on the router.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

<azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>i see. can i use like pcanywhere?? Thanks :)
>

> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>> You need to have TCP Port 3389 open on the router to the private LAN IP
>> of
>> the laptop in order for Remote Desktop to work from your university
>> computer.
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> If you can't get your landlord to open TCP Port 3389 then you can look at
>> something like MyWebExPc to access the device...
>>
>> http://www.mywebexpc.com
>>
>> It works, but its very slow in my experience...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
>> > running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
>> > to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
>> > I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
>> > to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
>> > was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
>> > asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.
>> >
>> > Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

awesome. how about pcanywhere. will that work the same way or do i
still need some ports to be open. are'nt there like some ports on the
router which are open and which i can use with pcanywhere?? Thanks so
much guys :)

Joe wrote:
> There is no port playing or anyting with go2mypc - you just load the service
> side on your machine at school - log onto the website from any internet
> browser anywhere - and it just works. No VPN, ports or anything to
> configure.
>
> I'm pretty sure you get a 15 day or 30 day trial - just try it - your
> landlord won't even have to know.
>
> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > thats true, gotomypc would be a better choice but it will be hard for
> > me to get it because i am on a very tight budget. So gotomypc would
> > work if there are open ports available on the router right???So do you
> > guys know which ports are open by default which i can use without
> > asking my landlord to change anything. I really dont wanna talk about
> > this stuff with my landlord, they are really rude ppl and they wont
> > like it i think HAHA :)
> >
> > Thanks guys :)
> >

> > Joe wrote:
> >> I see you are in school - but if you can afford Go2MyPC - it seems to get
> >> by
> >> any security, ports, firewalls, I have seen with no changes and would
> >> allow
> >> you access from any computer in the world that has access just to the
> >> internet - no matter the OS.
> >>
> >> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joe

I haven't used PC Anywhere for a few years - I used to. However; Go2MyPC
kicks butt. You can initiate file transfers easily, chat to someone if they
are sitting there with a chat session and even print remotely. The printing
part is way cool - so in your example - you could be logged onto your school
computer from home, print, and have it print to your house printer like it
would if you were at school. This seems to be something missing on the VNC
and Remote Desktop (that I have seen anyhow).

> awesome. how about pcanywhere. will that work the same way or do i
> still need some ports to be open. are'nt there like some ports on the
> router which are open and which i can use with pcanywhere?? Thanks so
> much guys :)
>
> Joe wrote:
>> There is no port playing or anyting with go2mypc - you just load the
>> service
>> side on your machine at school - log onto the website from any internet
>> browser anywhere - and it just works. No VPN, ports or anything to
>> configure.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you get a 15 day or 30 day trial - just try it - your
>> landlord won't even have to know.
>>
>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > thats true, gotomypc would be a better choice but it will be hard for
>> > me to get it because i am on a very tight budget. So gotomypc would
>> > work if there are open ports available on the router right???So do you
>> > guys know which ports are open by default which i can use without
>> > asking my landlord to change anything. I really dont wanna talk about
>> > this stuff with my landlord, they are really rude ppl and they wont
>> > like it i think HAHA :)
>> >
>> > Thanks guys :)

great, so is there a way to find out which ports on the router are open
so that i can setup pcanywhere to use that port?? Thanks guys for all
the help.
Fitz wrote:
> You'll need to open ports 5631 and 5632 to use pcAnywhere. pcAnywhere can
> use other ports but you'll have to make registry changes to accommodate
> that. What ports the owner of the router keeps open is on a per user basis.
>

> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > awesome. how about pcanywhere. will that work the same way or do i
> > still need some ports to be open. are'nt there like some ports on the
> > router which are open and which i can use with pcanywhere?? Thanks so
> > much guys :)
> >
> > Joe wrote:
> >> There is no port playing or anyting with go2mypc - you just load the
> >> service
> >> side on your machine at school - log onto the website from any internet
> >> browser anywhere - and it just works. No VPN, ports or anything to
> >> configure.
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure you get a 15 day or 30 day trial - just try it - your
> >> landlord won't even have to know.
> >>
> >> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joe

Sometimes folks forget to put a password on the router.

Often typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.15 will get you access to the
router. Usually the username is all you need and it's sometimes only admin
or administrator. Then you can check the port forwarding yourself.

> great, so is there a way to find out which ports on the router are open
> so that i can setup pcanywhere to use that port?? Thanks guys for all
> the help.
> Fitz wrote:
>> You'll need to open ports 5631 and 5632 to use pcAnywhere. pcAnywhere
>> can
>> use other ports but you'll have to make registry changes to accommodate
>> that. What ports the owner of the router keeps open is on a per user
>> basis.
>>

>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > awesome. how about pcanywhere. will that work the same way or do i
>> > still need some ports to be open. are'nt there like some ports on the
>> > router which are open and which i can use with pcanywhere?? Thanks so
>> > much guys :)

wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :)

Joe wrote:
> Sometimes folks forget to put a password on the router.
>
> Often typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.15 will get you access to the
> router. Usually the username is all you need and it's sometimes only admin
> or administrator. Then you can check the port forwarding yourself.
>
> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > great, so is there a way to find out which ports on the router are open
> > so that i can setup pcanywhere to use that port?? Thanks guys for all
> > the help.
> > Fitz wrote:
> >> You'll need to open ports 5631 and 5632 to use pcAnywhere. pcAnywhere
> >> can
> >> use other ports but you'll have to make registry changes to accommodate
> >> that. What ports the owner of the router keeps open is on a per user
> >> basis.
> >>

> >> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ask your landlord for help... Seriously, what you did would cause me as a
landlord to disconnect your internet access. permanently...You really owe
her/him the courtesy of explaining what you want to do and why and working
with her/him to solve your access problem...

--

> wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
> D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
> way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
> went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
> nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
> should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :

Fitz

You'll need to open ports 5631 and 5632 to use pcAnywhere. pcAnywhere can
use other ports but you'll have to make registry changes to accommodate
that. What ports the owner of the router keeps open is on a per user basis.

<azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> awesome. how about pcanywhere. will that work the same way or do i
> still need some ports to be open. are'nt there like some ports on the
> router which are open and which i can use with pcanywhere?? Thanks so
> much guys :)
>
> Joe wrote:
>> There is no port playing or anyting with go2mypc - you just load the
>> service
>> side on your machine at school - log onto the website from any internet
>> browser anywhere - and it just works. No VPN, ports or anything to
>> configure.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you get a 15 day or 30 day trial - just try it - your
>> landlord won't even have to know.
>>
>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > thats true, gotomypc would be a better choice but it will be hard for
>> > me to get it because i am on a very tight budget. So gotomypc would
>> > work if there are open ports available on the router right???So do you
>> > guys know which ports are open by default which i can use without
>> > asking my landlord to change anything. I really dont wanna talk about
>> > this stuff with my landlord, they are really rude ppl and they wont
>> > like it i think HAHA :)
>> >
>> > Thanks guys :)

Joe

Look up on the Dlink web site the manual for that router and it will step
you through opening a port.

<azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
> D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
> way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
> went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
> nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
> should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :)
>

> Joe wrote:
>> Sometimes folks forget to put a password on the router.
>>
>> Often typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.15 will get you access to the
>> router. Usually the username is all you need and it's sometimes only
>> admin
>> or administrator. Then you can check the port forwarding yourself.
>>
>> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > great, so is there a way to find out which ports on the router are open
>> > so that i can setup pcanywhere to use that port?? Thanks guys for all
>> > the help.

Where to begin...
1. Does your landlord even know you're using their connection?
If they don't, you're guilty of theft of services, just the same as if you
were stealing cable. If they do, you should be able to explain to them that
you need access to your home machine while at school and ask them to port
forward the appropriate ports to your machine.

2. Does your school know that you intend to connect to an outside resource
from the school's network?
Most schools have rules against this because it can potentially open the
school's network to the bad guys. Keep things above board when working with
someone else's equipment (landlord, school, employer, etc.) you will find
that it makes things easier on you when everyone knows what you're doing with
their stuff. Otherwise, you end up trying to explain/excuse yourself out of
trouble WHEN they find out what your up to.
--
Nill

"azzamqazi@gmail.com" wrote:

> wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
> D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
> way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
> went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
> nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
> should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :)
>

> Joe wrote:
> > Sometimes folks forget to put a password on the router.
> >
> > Often typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.15 will get you access to the
> > router. Usually the username is all you need and it's sometimes only admin
> > or administrator. Then you can check the port forwarding yourself.
> >
> > <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > great, so is there a way to find out which ports on the router are open
> > > so that i can setup pcanywhere to use that port?? Thanks guys for all
> > > the help.

Joe

Yes - there have been a couple folks on the news and being charged for
purposely using available "wifi" signals around them - if I remember
correctly - they were doing scandalous things with it though - rather than
just checking their email or remoting into the university computer.

It's important to have respect for other too. Having said that most folks
have downloaded a song or movie or "borrowed" someone's software disk to
load a program they wanted.

I live sort of in the boonies but leave my wifi network open and allow 2 of
my neighbors to ride the bandwidth. If the 3rd neighbor did it without my
knowledge - would I be mad? No I wouldn't. What if he changed my firewall
settings, would I be mad then? Yes - but I would be more mad at myself for
not having a password on the router. I know the risks of not encrypting the
bandwidth and accept it - as I know the risks of not password protecting my
routers and using appropriate firewall software/hardware.

When I visit friends in another town and I have my table PC - do I have a
problem if when I turn it on I can get on a wifi network for free to browse
the internet - not me - but some would.

"Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Where to begin...
> 1. Does your landlord even know you're using their connection?
> If they don't, you're guilty of theft of services, just the same as if you
> were stealing cable. If they do, you should be able to explain to them
> that
> you need access to your home machine while at school and ask them to port
> forward the appropriate ports to your machine.
>
> 2. Does your school know that you intend to connect to an outside resource
> from the school's network?
> Most schools have rules against this because it can potentially open the
> school's network to the bad guys. Keep things above board when working
> with
> someone else's equipment (landlord, school, employer, etc.) you will find
> that it makes things easier on you when everyone knows what you're doing
> with
> their stuff. Otherwise, you end up trying to explain/excuse yourself out
> of
> trouble WHEN they find out what your up to.
> --
> Nill
>

> "azzamqazi@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
>> D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
>> way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
>> went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
>> nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
>> should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :)
>>

>> Joe wrote:
>> > Sometimes folks forget to put a password on the router.
>> >
>> > Often typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.15 will get you access to the
>> > router. Usually the username is all you need and it's sometimes only
>> > admin
>> > or administrator. Then you can check the port forwarding yourself.
>> >
>> > <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joe

Again - if you use Go2MyPC - you won't have any of these integrity issues -
as you stated your landlord knows you are getting a signal - you then
wouldn't have to make any firewall/router changes anywhere - it just works.

I'm sure the university has their network locked up good too - what's your
next step - to try and log onto their router? Nope - I'm sure they got it
locked down tight. Again - Go2MyPC will get by their end too.

"Joe" <bill@msn.com> wrote in message
> Yes - there have been a couple folks on the news and being charged for
> purposely using available "wifi" signals around them - if I remember
> correctly - they were doing scandalous things with it though - rather than
> just checking their email or remoting into the university computer.
>
> It's important to have respect for other too. Having said that most folks
> have downloaded a song or movie or "borrowed" someone's software disk to
> load a program they wanted.
>
> I live sort of in the boonies but leave my wifi network open and allow 2
> of my neighbors to ride the bandwidth. If the 3rd neighbor did it without
> my knowledge - would I be mad? No I wouldn't. What if he changed my
> firewall settings, would I be mad then? Yes - but I would be more mad at
> myself for not having a password on the router. I know the risks of not
> encrypting the bandwidth and accept it - as I know the risks of not
> password protecting my routers and using appropriate firewall
> software/hardware.
>
> When I visit friends in another town and I have my table PC - do I have a
> problem if when I turn it on I can get on a wifi network for free to
> browse the internet - not me - but some would.
>
> "Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Where to begin...
>> 1. Does your landlord even know you're using their connection?
>> If they don't, you're guilty of theft of services, just the same as if
>> you
>> were stealing cable. If they do, you should be able to explain to them
>> that
>> you need access to your home machine while at school and ask them to port
>> forward the appropriate ports to your machine.
>>
>> 2. Does your school know that you intend to connect to an outside
>> resource
>> from the school's network?
>> Most schools have rules against this because it can potentially open the
>> school's network to the bad guys. Keep things above board when working
>> with
>> someone else's equipment (landlord, school, employer, etc.) you will find
>> that it makes things easier on you when everyone knows what you're doing
>> with
>> their stuff. Otherwise, you end up trying to explain/excuse yourself out
>> of
>> trouble WHEN they find out what your up to.
>> --
>> Nill
>>

>> "azzamqazi@gmail.com" wrote:
>>
>>> wow awesome guys. The admin username worked. now i am into my landlords
>>> D-Link DI-514 router. HAHA. so now how do i forward the port or in easy
>>> way make remote desktop work for me HAHA :). I see a firewall tab and i
>>> went into there. It has an option of enable or disable firewall and
>>> nothing is slected so i suppose that the firewall is disabled. What
>>> should be my next step guys. Thank u so much :)

thanks guys :). well my landlord knew that i was using thier network,
actually i m paying for this in my rent. welll after what u guys have
said i went to the landlord and after a lenghty discussion they let me
get access to their router and i figured how to port forward the thing.
today i went to university and tried to remote access again but it
did'nt work i guess due to the school own firewall settings so i guess
i m out of luck. so i will use go2mypc or something to access my home
pc. i just wanted to get access to my programming assignments i have
been working on all night long. my last option i think would be to just
email it to my self at the end of the night.

Joe wrote:
> Again - if you use Go2MyPC - you won't have any of these integrity issues -
> as you stated your landlord knows you are getting a signal - you then
> wouldn't have to make any firewall/router changes anywhere - it just works.
>
> I'm sure the university has their network locked up good too - what's your
> next step - to try and log onto their router? Nope - I'm sure they got it
> locked down tight. Again - Go2MyPC will get by their end too.
>
> "Joe" <bill@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Yes - there have been a couple folks on the news and being charged for
> > purposely using available "wifi" signals around them - if I remember
> > correctly - they were doing scandalous things with it though - rather than
> > just checking their email or remoting into the university computer.
> >
> > It's important to have respect for other too. Having said that most folks
> > have downloaded a song or movie or "borrowed" someone's software disk to
> > load a program they wanted.
> >
> > I live sort of in the boonies but leave my wifi network open and allow 2
> > of my neighbors to ride the bandwidth. If the 3rd neighbor did it without
> > my knowledge - would I be mad? No I wouldn't. What if he changed my
> > firewall settings, would I be mad then? Yes - but I would be more mad at
> > myself for not having a password on the router. I know the risks of not
> > encrypting the bandwidth and accept it - as I know the risks of not
> > password protecting my routers and using appropriate firewall
> > software/hardware.
> >
> > When I visit friends in another town and I have my table PC - do I have a
> > problem if when I turn it on I can get on a wifi network for free to
> > browse the internet - not me - but some would.
> >
> > "Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Where to begin...
> >> 1. Does your landlord even know you're using their connection?
> >> If they don't, you're guilty of theft of services, just the same as if
> >> you
> >> were stealing cable. If they do, you should be able to explain to them
> >> that
> >> you need access to your home machine while at school and ask them to port
> >> forward the appropriate ports to your machine.
> >>
> >> 2. Does your school know that you intend to connect to an outside
> >> resource
> >> from the school's network?
> >> Most schools have rules against this because it can potentially open the
> >> school's network to the bad guys. Keep things above board when working
> >> with
> >> someone else's equipment (landlord, school, employer, etc.) you will find
> >> that it makes things easier on you when everyone knows what you're doing
> >> with
> >> their stuff. Otherwise, you end up trying to explain/excuse yourself out
> >> of
> >> trouble WHEN they find out what your up to.
> >> --
> >> Nill

Its possible that the university is blocking TCP Port 3389 (RDP) outbound.
Go2MyPC or MyWebExPC may be your best choices then...

Good luck...

--

> thanks guys :). well my landlord knew that i was using thier network,
> actually i m paying for this in my rent. welll after what u guys have
> said i went to the landlord and after a lenghty discussion they let me
> get access to their router and i figured how to port forward the thing.
> today i went to university and tried to remote access again but it
> did'nt work i guess due to the school own firewall settings so i guess
> i m out of luck. so i will use go2mypc or something to access my home
> pc. i just wanted to get access to my programming assignments i have
> been working on all night long. my last option i think would be to just
> email it to my self at the end of the night.
>
> Joe wrote:
>> Again - if you use Go2MyPC - you won't have any of these integrity
>> issues -
>> as you stated your landlord knows you are getting a signal - you then
>> wouldn't have to make any firewall/router changes anywhere - it just
>> works.
>>
>> I'm sure the university has their network locked up good too - what's
>> your
>> next step - to try and log onto their router? Nope - I'm sure they got
>> it
>> locked down tight. Again - Go2MyPC will get by their end too.
>>
>> "Joe" <bill@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes - there have been a couple folks on the news and being charged for
>> > purposely using available "wifi" signals around them - if I remember
>> > correctly - they were doing scandalous things with it though - rather
>> > than
>> > just checking their email or remoting into the university computer.
>> >
>> > It's important to have respect for other too. Having said that most
>> > folks
>> > have downloaded a song or movie or "borrowed" someone's software disk
>> > load a program they wanted.
>> >
>> > I live sort of in the boonies but leave my wifi network open and allow
>> > 2
>> > of my neighbors to ride the bandwidth. If the 3rd neighbor did it
>> > without
>> > my knowledge - would I be mad? No I wouldn't. What if he changed my
>> > firewall settings, would I be mad then? Yes - but I would be more mad
>> > at
>> > myself for not having a password on the router. I know the risks of
>> > not
>> > encrypting the bandwidth and accept it - as I know the risks of not
>> > password protecting my routers and using appropriate firewall
>> > software/hardware.
>> >
>> > When I visit friends in another town and I have my table PC - do I have
>> > problem if when I turn it on I can get on a wifi network for free to
>> > browse the internet - not me - but some would.
>> >
>> > "Nill" <Nill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Joe

You said you went to the university and tried it again - it sounded like you
tried to remote from there to home.

Did you try it from home to university?

> Its possible that the university is blocking TCP Port 3389 (RDP) outbound.
> Go2MyPC or MyWebExPC may be your best choices then...
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> thanks guys :). well my landlord knew that i was using thier network,
>> actually i m paying for this in my rent. welll after what u guys have
>> said i went to the landlord and after a lenghty discussion they let me
>> get access to their router and i figured how to port forward the thing.
>> today i went to university and tried to remote access again but it
>> did'nt work i guess due to the school own firewall settings so i guess
>> i m out of luck. so i will use go2mypc or something to access my home
>> pc. i just wanted to get access to my programming assignments i have
>> been working on all night long. my last option i think would be to just
>> email it to my self at the end of the night.
>>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Again - if you use Go2MyPC - you won't have any of these integrity
>>> issues -
>>> as you stated your landlord knows you are getting a signal - you then
>>> wouldn't have to make any firewall/router changes anywhere - it just
>>> works.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the university has their network locked up good too - what's
>>> your
>>> next step - to try and log onto their router? Nope - I'm sure they got
>>> it
>>> locked down tight. Again - Go2MyPC will get by their end too.
>>>
>>> "Joe" <bill@msn.com> wrote in message

hmmm.. from home to university?? well we have like a huge computer lab
where there are like hundreds of computer so u just go and sit on any
one of them and start working :).

Joe wrote:
> You said you went to the university and tried it again - it sounded like you
> tried to remote from there to home.
>
> Did you try it from home to university?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > Its possible that the university is blocking TCP Port 3389 (RDP) outbound.
> > Go2MyPC or MyWebExPC may be your best choices then...
> >
> > Good luck...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> >

> > <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> thanks guys :). well my landlord knew that i was using thier network,
> >> actually i m paying for this in my rent. welll after what u guys have
> >> said i went to the landlord and after a lenghty discussion they let me
> >> get access to their router and i figured how to port forward the thing.
> >> today i went to university and tried to remote access again but it
> >> did'nt work i guess due to the school own firewall settings so i guess
> >> i m out of luck. so i will use go2mypc or something to access my home
> >> pc. i just wanted to get access to my programming assignments i have
> >> been working on all night long. my last option i think would be to just
> >> email it to my self at the end of the night.

Joe

Unless I'm misreading this - I don't think you understand how the remote
stuff works.

Too make the connection you need to have a client side and a server side.
Most people want the client side to be their house so they can connect to
their work computers - the server side. In your case - I thought you wanted
to be able to work from home on the university computer?

If so - and providing you won't get into trouble - install Go2MyPC server
(very small program) on the computer at school you want to connect to (there
is a fully functional free trial period). Then from home, or from any web
browser from any computer anywhere in the world - log onto www.go2mypc.com
and log on and you will see your school computer - which you will be able to
log onto and your client screen will appear as if you are sitting in from of
the school computer.

> hmmm.. from home to university?? well we have like a huge computer lab
> where there are like hundreds of computer so u just go and sit on any
> one of them and start working :).
>

> Joe wrote:
>> You said you went to the university and tried it again - it sounded like
>> you
>> tried to remote from there to home.
>>
>> Did you try it from home to university?
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Its possible that the university is blocking TCP Port 3389 (RDP)
>> > outbound.
>> > Go2MyPC or MyWebExPC may be your best choices then...
>> >
>> > Good luck...
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>> >
>> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> > mutual
>> > benefit of all of us...
>> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> > rights...
>> >

>> > <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message

To quote from the original post...:)

"Hi,
I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop
running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer
to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection.
I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due
to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I
was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without
asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something."

He wants to access/control his laptop, which is at home, from a PC at the
university...

--

> Unless I'm misreading this - I don't think you understand how the remote
> stuff works.
>
> Too make the connection you need to have a client side and a server side.
> Most people want the client side to be their house so they can connect to
> their work computers - the server side. In your case - I thought you
> wanted to be able to work from home on the university computer?
>
> If so - and providing you won't get into trouble - install Go2MyPC server
> (very small program) on the computer at school you want to connect to
> (there is a fully functional free trial period). Then from home, or from
> any web browser from any computer anywhere in the world - log onto
> www.go2mypc.com and log on and you will see your school computer - which
> you will be able to log onto and your client screen will appear as if you
> are sitting in from of the school computer.
>
> <azzamqazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> hmmm.. from home to university?? well we have like a huge computer lab
>> where there are like hundreds of computer so u just go and sit on any
>> one of them and start working :).
>>

>> Joe wrote:
>>> You said you went to the university and tried it again - it sounded like
>>> you
>>> tried to remote from there to home.
>>>
>>> Did you try it from home to university?
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Joe

Ooops - yes - I see I'm the dumbutt here...sorry guys