Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

I have a number of users connecting via Cisco VPN client to their
workstations and Windows 2003 Std Ed Terminal Server. For some users the
printer redirection is not working though this option is checked in RDP
option selection. There are no firewalls or any other software preventing
redirection. Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem or
know a workaround it? Any input is appreciated.

Is printer redirection enabled on the terminal server itself?

By default, it's turned off.

Go into Administrative tools -> Terminal Service Configuration -> Right
click on "RDP-TCP" and check in there.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a number of users connecting via Cisco VPN client to their
> workstations and Windows 2003 Std Ed Terminal Server. For some users the
> printer redirection is not working though this option is checked in RDP
> option selection. There are no firewalls or any other software preventing
> redirection. Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem or
> know a workaround it? Any input is appreciated.

Dom

Matt - thanks for your reply to my post.

Yes, it is enabled. The redirection is not working only on a few
workstations. Other users do not have a problem with redirection.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> Is printer redirection enabled on the terminal server itself?
>
> By default, it's turned off.
>
> Go into Administrative tools -> Terminal Service Configuration -> Right
> click on "RDP-TCP" and check in there.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a number of users connecting via Cisco VPN client to their
> > workstations and Windows 2003 Std Ed Terminal Server. For some users the
> > printer redirection is not working though this option is checked in RDP
> > option selection. There are no firewalls or any other software preventing
> > redirection. Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem or
> > know a workaround it? Any input is appreciated.

What kind of printer?

USB?

> Matt - thanks for your reply to my post.
>
> Yes, it is enabled. The redirection is not working only on a few
> workstations. Other users do not have a problem with redirection.
>

> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
>> Is printer redirection enabled on the terminal server itself?
>>
>> By default, it's turned off.
>>
>> Go into Administrative tools -> Terminal Service Configuration -> Right
>> click on "RDP-TCP" and check in there.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>
>> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a number of users connecting via Cisco VPN client to their
>> > workstations and Windows 2003 Std Ed Terminal Server. For some users
>> > the
>> > printer redirection is not working though this option is checked in RDP
>> > option selection. There are no firewalls or any other software
>> > preventing
>> > redirection. Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this problem
>> > or
>> > know a workaround it? Any input is appreciated.

Dom

Yes, one of them is a Dell USB printer. I have an HP USB printer and this one
is redirected without a problem.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> What kind of printer?
>
> USB?
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Matt - thanks for your reply to my post.
> >
> > Yes, it is enabled. The redirection is not working only on a few
> > workstations. Other users do not have a problem with redirection.
> >

> > "Matt Gibson" wrote:
> >
> >> Is printer redirection enabled on the terminal server itself?
> >>
> >> By default, it's turned off.
> >>
> >> Go into Administrative tools -> Terminal Service Configuration -> Right
> >> click on "RDP-TCP" and check in there.
> >>
> >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
> >>
> >> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ahhh....

You've entered the wonderful world of non-hp USB printer redirection.

On the server, when this user connects, are there errors that it cannot find
the printer driver?

If so, you'll need to install the driver on the server first.

> Yes, one of them is a Dell USB printer. I have an HP USB printer and this
> one
> is redirected without a problem.
>
> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
>> What kind of printer?
>>
>> USB?
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>
>> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Matt - thanks for your reply to my post.
>> >
>> > Yes, it is enabled. The redirection is not working only on a few
>> > workstations. Other users do not have a problem with redirection.

Dom

I have installed the printer driver. It still did not work with just
connecting to the workstation via RDC but I figured a way around it. I have
shared the printer on a client, and then connected to the host and set it up
as a network printer. This works.

Thanks for you help Matt.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> Ahhh....
>
> You've entered the wonderful world of non-hp USB printer redirection.
>
> On the server, when this user connects, are there errors that it cannot find
> the printer driver?
>
> If so, you'll need to install the driver on the server first.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, one of them is a Dell USB printer. I have an HP USB printer and this
> > one
> > is redirected without a problem.
> >
> > "Matt Gibson" wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of printer?
> >>
> >> USB?
> >>
> >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
> >>
> >> "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

cam

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

Hi Dom,

You need to add an registry on the client machine in order to redirect an
USB printer, please check the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361

Cam

"Dom" wrote:

> I have installed the printer driver. It still did not work with just
> connecting to the workstation via RDC but I figured a way around it. I have
> shared the printer on a client, and then connected to the host and set it up
> as a network printer. This works.
>
> Thanks for you help Matt.
>
> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
> > Ahhh....
> >
> > You've entered the wonderful world of non-hp USB printer redirection.
> >
> > On the server, when this user connects, are there errors that it cannot find
> > the printer driver?
> >
> > If so, you'll need to install the driver on the server first.
> >
> > Matt Gibson - GSEC
> >
> > "Dom" <Dom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, one of them is a Dell USB printer. I have an HP USB printer and this
> > > one
> > > is redirected without a problem.

mgrizland

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Install same drivers os server and client, if you are using USB printer, make sure that port is USB not DOT4
With many client you can have spooler crash you can easy make batch script
net stop spooler
net start spooler
and schedule this every one hour, this will clear your spooler.
Clean unused printers/drivers on server and client.
We had same problems, buw we are now using product from Remote Desktop Printing

I hope that my info helps.