Remote Desktop Connection with PC behind ADSL/Router?

Hello

I would like to use Remote Desktop Connection software to view a PC
which has access to the Internet but is behind an ADSL Modem/Router
which has an IP dynamically assigned by the ISP.

I am guessing that the router has to have port forwarding enabled?
What would need to be done? Must be done by someone at that site?

How do I (or someone at that site) find out the changing IP assigned
to the router by the ISP?

Do we both have to be using Windows XP?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Geoff
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection adsl router

    See this page for help with all of those questions...

    The PC you want to remotely access/control with Remote Desktop must be
    running XP Pro. Otherwise UltraVNC may be a good option for you...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    <Geoff Cox> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I would like to use Remote Desktop Connection software to view a PC
    > which has access to the Internet but is behind an ADSL Modem/Router
    > which has an IP dynamically assigned by the ISP.
    >
    > I am guessing that the router has to have port forwarding enabled?
    > What would need to be done? Must be done by someone at that site?
    >
    > How do I (or someone at that site) find out the changing IP assigned
    > to the router by the ISP?
    >
    > Do we both have to be using Windows XP?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Geoff

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:58:23 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

    >See this page for help with all of those questions...
    >
    >http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html

    Thanks for the link - looks very good.

    Cheers

    Geoff

    >The PC you want to remotely access/control with Remote Desktop must be
    >running XP Pro. Otherwise UltraVNC may be a good option for you...
    >
    >http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Remote Desktop Routers Internet Service Providers Connection Windows XP