Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote Desktop Connection with PC behind ADSL/Router?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hello

I would like to use Remote Desktop Connection software to view a PC
which has access to the Internet but is behind an ADSL Modem/Router
which has an IP dynamically assigned by the ISP.

I am guessing that the router has to have port forwarding enabled?
What would need to be done? Must be done by someone at that site?

How do I (or someone at that site) find out the changing IP assigned
to the router by the ISP?

Do we both have to be using Windows XP?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Geoff
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:36:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

See this page for help with all of those questions...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

The PC you want to remotely access/control with Remote Desktop must be
running XP Pro. Otherwise UltraVNC may be a good option for you...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...


<Geoff Cox> wrote in message
news:g6f0i1tr8v2mq86kt9f0rp8e3l5f542g7s@4ax.com...
> Hello
>
> I would like to use Remote Desktop Connection software to view a PC
> which has access to the Internet but is behind an ADSL Modem/Router
> which has an IP dynamically assigned by the ISP.
>
> I am guessing that the router has to have port forwarding enabled?
> What would need to be done? Must be done by someone at that site?
>
> How do I (or someone at that site) find out the changing IP assigned
> to the router by the ISP?
>
> Do we both have to be using Windows XP?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:58:23 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>See this page for help with all of those questions...
>
>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

Thanks for the link - looks very good.

Cheers

Geoff






>
>The PC you want to remotely access/control with Remote Desktop must be
>running XP Pro. Otherwise UltraVNC may be a good option for you...
>
>http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
!