Can not connect via the internet but can ping & telnet

I am using a dell precision 650 with XP pro and trying to use Remote Desktop
via the internet, I have both Sygate firewall and the windows firewall
disabled and or allow all. I am running to a linksys BEFSR81 ver 3 router
and I set my machine with a static ip address and went under app & gaming to
port range forwarding for both 3389 and the port I set up for Web connections
via the instruction on the following site
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
I also went to GRC.com and with shields up comfirmed that both 3389 and the
other port is open, this site also gave me my IP address and from a computer
on another network I can ping that ip address as well as from a command
prompt Telnet ip address 3389 gives me a window with the blinking cursor.
I can connect via Remote Desktop from a another computer in the same network
but not from outside my network.
I need Help A.S.A.P. Thank you in advance
1 answer Last reply
More about connect internet ping telnet

    Well, lets get the regular non-web based method working first...

    On the PC you want to remotely connect to what happens when you go to the
    http://www.canyouseeme.org site and test on TCP Port 3389? If the test fails
    then you have a port forwarding issue in the router. If the test passes go
    to a remote PC and try the regular non-web based method and see if you can
    connect. Call using the public IP of the router.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Rgreen" <Rgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using a dell precision 650 with XP pro and trying to use Remote
    >Desktop
    > via the internet, I have both Sygate firewall and the windows firewall
    > disabled and or allow all. I am running to a linksys BEFSR81 ver 3 router
    > and I set my machine with a static ip address and went under app & gaming
    > port range forwarding for both 3389 and the port I set up for Web
    > connections
    > via the instruction on the following site
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
    > I also went to GRC.com and with shields up comfirmed that both 3389 and
    > the
    > other port is open, this site also gave me my IP address and from a
    > computer
    > on another network I can ping that ip address as well as from a command
    > prompt Telnet ip address 3389 gives me a window with the blinking cursor.
    > I can connect via Remote Desktop from a another computer in the same
    > network
    > but not from outside my network.
    > I need Help A.S.A.P. Thank you in advance

Internet Windows XP