Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I use remote desktop to access my work computer from home. It has always
worked well but

my work has just installed an entry firewall and private ip addresses within
the work network

I know the firewall could be set to allow me through if I had a static ip
address, but mine is not static (and gettin a static ip is too expensive !)

Is there another solution to this ?

Would pcAnywhere be of help

Thanks

Pete

The LAN IP needs to static, not the firewall IP... You need the work network
administrators to forward TCP Port 3389 through the router to the static LAN
IP of your work PC. You can use a free service like NO-IP.com to call if
your public IP is dynamic. Go to http://www.no-ip.com for further
information.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use remote desktop to access my work computer from home. It has always
> worked well but
>
> my work has just installed an entry firewall and private ip addresses
> within
> the work network
>
> I know the firewall could be set to allow me through if I had a static ip
> address, but mine is not static (and gettin a static ip is too expensive
> !)
>
> Is there another solution to this ?
>
> Would pcAnywhere be of help
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,
I too use remote desktop from my laptop at home to access my desktop at work
and we too have a firewall and I do not have a static IP address. Yes, I
believe PC Anywhere will help you with this problem. I can access my desktop
through this and it works fine. If this does not work, I would suggest your
work set you up in there users group to obtain access.
Hope this helps somewhat
GL