Why EPROM, Not Flash Card for MB BIOS?!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Simple question, why is it we still see EPROM used for BIOS and not Flash
memory cards on modern motherboards?

Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot SAFER to use replaceable flash memory cards
on the motherboard should you have happen to trash it on a BIOS update?
Flash memory is very mature at this point, I'm surprised that at least one
of these MB vendors hasn't jumped to Flash memory (e.g., SD) at this point.
It would make BIOS replacement/repair/backup a trivial exercise. Heck, you
could even have various versions, optimized for different environments.

I assume is it's a matter of cost, that EPROM is considerably cheaper (?),
but EPROM sure seems antiquated if you ask me. I'd much rather have, say, 6
SATA ports instead of 8, if that meant I could have a flash card based BIOS.
With all the innovations we see today, I'm just surprised noone has
attempted this, not even on high end MBs.

JMTC

Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about eprom flash card bios
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:50:37 -0800, Jim wrote:

    > Simple question, why is it we still see EPROM used for BIOS and not Flash
    > memory cards on modern motherboards?

    I don't think they've used eproms for the bios in a number of years. I
    haven't really looked what they do use, but it's probably flash roms. Thus
    the term flash the bios. You can't reprogram an eprom without putting it
    under a special UV light to grow all the connections back and then
    reprogram it with an eprom programmer. BTW, erasing an eprom really
    doesn't erase it, it just grows all the connections back so all bytes are
    actually all programmed with FF's. Programing the eprom really just uses
    electrical current to actually blow the links of bits to get the
    opcode needed. Just thought I'd throw that in for fun.

    > Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot SAFER to use replaceable flash memory
    > cards on the motherboard should you have happen to trash it on a BIOS
    > update? Flash memory is very mature at this point, I'm surprised that at
    > least one of these MB vendors hasn't jumped to Flash memory (e.g., SD)
    > at this point. It would make BIOS replacement/repair/backup a trivial
    > exercise. Heck, you could even have various versions, optimized for
    > different environments.

    You know, flash memory would be a great idea.:-)
    But why in the more expensive card form. How about just a socket for
    it.:-)

    > I assume is it's a matter of cost, that EPROM is considerably cheaper
    > (?), but EPROM sure seems antiquated if you ask me. I'd much rather
    > have, say, 6 SATA ports instead of 8, if that meant I could have a flash
    > card based BIOS. With all the innovations we see today, I'm just
    > surprised noone has attempted this, not even on high end MBs.

    Surely you don't think the bios has anything to do with how many sata
    ports (or any kind of port) are on the board. It doesn't work that way..
    All the bios does is control them, sometimes.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:50:37 -0800, "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:

    >Simple question, why is it we still see EPROM used for BIOS and not Flash
    >memory cards on modern motherboards?
    I dunno, but that's a damn good question. Especially with some memory
    cards having a small switch to change from one volume to another. One
    could have something like a 16 meg memstick with 2 switches, which
    will give you 4 4meg volumes so if one gets trashed, just switch to a
    backup. I'm not sure of the price of a 16 meg stick, but I bet it's
    pretty cheap these days.

    Would also lead to some pretty cool practical jokes: Taking a person's
    card so they think their system is trashed, writing your own bios that
    makes the system simply write "I Love Animal Porn" over and over on
    the screen while the trouble alarms go off. All kinds of fun, which
    could be largely harmless. Of course, it could get real evil from
    there.

    >Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot SAFER to use replaceable flash memory cards
    >on the motherboard should you have happen to trash it on a BIOS update?
    >Flash memory is very mature at this point, I'm surprised that at least one
    >of these MB vendors hasn't jumped to Flash memory (e.g., SD) at this point.
    >It would make BIOS replacement/repair/backup a trivial exercise. Heck, you
    >could even have various versions, optimized for different environments.
    >
    >I assume is it's a matter of cost, that EPROM is considerably cheaper (?),
    >but EPROM sure seems antiquated if you ask me. I'd much rather have, say, 6
    >SATA ports instead of 8, if that meant I could have a flash card based BIOS.
    >With all the innovations we see today, I'm just surprised noone has
    >attempted this, not even on high end MBs.
    >
    >JMTC
    >
    >Jim

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love

Motherboards BIOS Eprom Flash Memory