Intel D845BG Mainboard - want to add more RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 12:51:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Hello,

i have an Intel D845BG Mainboard with Pentium IV 1.8 GHz CPU. Currently
i'm using two Infineon 512MB DDR-RAM PC133/2100 Modules. I want to have
more RAM. Preferred 2GB! But i'm unsure for which specs i've to look to
choose the right RAM Modules. I've checked the Kingston Website for my
Board and it says:

http://tinyurl.com/7x2ek

The Intel Website says that the D846BG Board can have max. 2GB RAM and
that ECC is supported.

Intel Desktop Board D845BG Tested Memory:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...

----------cut----------
Note: The Intel® Desktop Board D845BG has been designed to support DIMMs
based on 512 Mbit technology for a maximum onboard capacity of up to 2
GB, but this technology has not been validated on this board.

The Intel Desktop Board D845BG has two DIMM sockets and supports the
following memory features:

- 2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
- Unbuffered single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
- Maximum total system memory: 2 GB; minimum total system memory: 64 MB
- 200/266 MHz DDR SDRAM DIMMs only
- Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
- Suspend to RAM
- Non-ECC and ECC DIMMs

Note: For ECC functionality, all installed DIMMs must be ECC. If both
ECC and non-ECC DIMMs are used, ECC will not function.
----------cut----------

I was looking for RAM on eBay, but i'm unsure for which specs i have to
look. There are so many kinds of RAM! Can anyone please give me an
advice on which modules to choose?

PS: the Kingston Modules are not in Stores in Germany. And if, they're
extremely expensive. That's why i'm looking for alternatives.

TIA, Niels
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 3:27:07 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:51:18 +0100, Niels Obst wrote:

> I was looking for RAM on eBay, but i'm unsure for which specs i have to
> look. There are so many kinds of RAM! Can anyone please give me an
> advice on which modules to choose?

1GB PC2100 DIMM CL2.5 or CL3 or CL2. Basically standard DDR ram. But
here, PC2700 is only $70 compared to $68 for PC2100, so I'd get PC2700 to
be on the safe side.

a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 12:49:24 PM

Wes Newell schrieb:
> 1GB PC2100 DIMM CL2.5 or CL3 or CL2. Basically standard DDR ram. But
> here, PC2700 is only $70 compared to $68 for PC2100, so I'd get PC2700 to
> be on the safe side.

Is PC2700 333MHz? Are newer Modules down-compatible?

Then i'd buy two of those:
http://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productDetails.html?...

Total Memory is 'only' 1GB then, but better than 512MB which i've now.
And it's not too expensive.

TIA, Niels
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 1:06:02 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:49:24 +0100, Niels Obst wrote:

> Wes Newell schrieb:
>> 1GB PC2100 DIMM CL2.5 or CL3 or CL2. Basically standard DDR ram. But
>> here, PC2700 is only $70 compared to $68 for PC2100, so I'd get PC2700 to
>> be on the safe side.
>
> Is PC2700 333MHz?

No, that's marketing BS, they're really 166MHz DDR 333Mbps.

> Are newer Modules down-compatible?

Yes.

> Then i'd buy two of those:
> http://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productDetails.html?...
>
> Total Memory is 'only' 1GB then, but better than 512MB which i've now.
> And it's not too expensive.

That'll work.

a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2005 2:59:59 PM

Wes Newell schrieb:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:49:24 +0100, Niels Obst wrote:
>>Is PC2700 333MHz?
>
> No, that's marketing BS, they're really 166MHz DDR 333Mbps.
>
>>Are newer Modules down-compatible?
>
> Yes.
>
>>Then i'd buy two of those:
>>http://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/productDetails.html?...
>>
>>Total Memory is 'only' 1GB then, but better than 512MB which i've now.
>>And it's not too expensive.
>
> That'll work.

First, thanks for the info!

Recently i bought two 1 GB Modules from eBay (from different sellers).
Their Technical Specs are:

Samsung
KR H 0435
PC2100R-25331-NO
M312L2828ET0-CB0Q0
1GB DDR PC2100 CL2.5 ECC

and

Samsung
KR H 0425
PC2100R-20331-NO
M312L2828ET0-CA2
1GB DDR PC2100 CL2.0 ECC

Both Modules don't work. BIOS gives beep sounds after power on. I think
the modules are okay - but they don't work in my Board. Do you have any
idea why they don't work? From the Tech. Specs. they should, shouldn't they?

I just want to be sure to buy the right ones. I've spent enough money on
not-working modules now!

TIA, Niels
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 12:43:37 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:59:59 +0100, Niels Obst wrote:

> Both Modules don't work. BIOS gives beep sounds after power on. I think
> the modules are okay - but they don't work in my Board. Do you have any
> idea why they don't work? From the Tech. Specs. they should, shouldn't they?
>
> I just want to be sure to buy the right ones. I've spent enough money on
> not-working modules now!

I have no idea why they don't work. I don't have the specs on them. I'd
stay with the specs from the Kingston website if you want to be sure. Look
at data sheet, but basically it's 2.5v, XXX x 64bit, CL2.5, where 128 x64
would be a 1GB module, 64x64 would be 512, etc.

a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 2:59:18 AM

Wes Newell schrieb:
> I have no idea why they don't work. I don't have the specs on them. I'd
> stay with the specs from the Kingston website if you want to be sure.

The problem is that the Kingston Modules are pretty expensive here. And
kind of seldom too. No offers on eBay for a longer time now... It would
be great if i could find alternatives!

> Look at data sheet, but basically it's 2.5v, XXX x 64bit, CL2.5, where 128 x64
> would be a 1GB module, 64x64 would be 512, etc.

PS: Can you get any more info about which specs to look for from:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...

Could the trouble with the Samsung Modules come from a different
voltage? Because the Intel Sheet says:

# 2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts

Are there other voltages nowadays?

Thanks again for your help!

TIA, Niels
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 5:14:57 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:59:18 +0100, Niels Obst wrote:

> Wes Newell schrieb:
>> I have no idea why they don't work. I don't have the specs on them. I'd
>> stay with the specs from the Kingston website if you want to be sure.
>
> The problem is that the Kingston Modules are pretty expensive here. And
> kind of seldom too. No offers on eBay for a longer time now... It would
> be great if i could find alternatives!
>
>> Look at data sheet, but basically it's 2.5v, XXX x 64bit, CL2.5, where 128 x64
>> would be a 1GB module, 64x64 would be 512, etc.
>
> PS: Can you get any more info about which specs to look for from:
> http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...

The ones above should be all that matter. The only other problem that may
occur that I can think of is the reading and interpretation of the Spd
data. A bios upgrade may or may not fix that. The most important thing
being XXX x 64bit, 2.5v, and CL2.5 or lower maybe. By all rights, it
should run any ram speed that would meet those specs, but I wouldn't say
for sure. It may not like faster ram that has a 166Mhz bus speed in its
Spd data. This is strictly bios problems if it doesn't run and there's not
much you can do about it.

> Could the trouble with the Samsung Modules come from a different
> voltage? Because the Intel Sheet says:

If they are not 2.5v modules it could be.

> Are there other voltages nowadays?

There's some that require 2.6v I know, not sure about other than that.

a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 4:32:49 PM

Wes Newell schrieb:
> The ones above should be all that matter. The only other problem that may
> occur that I can think of is the reading and interpretation of the Spd
> data.

Maybe the Samsung Modules don't have SPD Data :-(

> A bios upgrade may or may not fix that. The most important thing
> being XXX x 64bit, 2.5v, and CL2.5 or lower maybe.

Why XXX x 64Bit?

> It may not like faster ram that has a 166Mhz bus speed in its
> Spd data.

The Samsung Modules are PC2100. Is that 133MHz or 166MHz?

> This is strictly bios problems if it doesn't run and there's not
> much you can do about it.

I already have the latest BIOS Version installed :-(
Do you think a taking out the CMOS Battery could help?

I've found some issues about RAM here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845b...

I'll read that and try to figure out why the modules aren't working.

Regards, Niels
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2005 8:15:55 PM

Niels Obst schrieb:
> BTW: The offer has detailed specs. I think my 1GB modules are pretty the
> same, except capacity of course.

Oh, i think I've found the tech. specs. for my modules:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDRS...

I think the one i have is Part Number: M312L2828ET0-CAA/A2/B0/A0

I'm not an expert about RAM. Do you see any information, which tells you
*why* the Samsung Modules doesn't work in my Board?

TIA, Niels
!