CS 1.6 & Dedicated Server

Can the LAN only version of CS 1.6 be made to run a dedicated server?

I'm currently downloading the HLDS software for 1.6 to see if I can answer
my own Q, but, having read through the readme it looks like it has to be
connected to the net for authentication.

Any help appreciated.

Binky.
3 answers Last reply
More about dedicated server

    if you force the dedicated server offline it will. I used my rounter to
    block the internet access to the computer ip hosting counter-strike. I
    played for about 3 hours earlier with 4 machines and a dedicated server
    using 1 steam account but today it won't let me if the server is online.

    <jedihermit@jedihermit.com> wrote in message
    > if you force the dedicated server offline it will. I used my rounter to
    > block the internet access to the computer ip hosting counter-strike. I
    > played for about 3 hours earlier with 4 machines and a dedicated server
    > using 1 steam account but today it won't let me if the server is online.

    I tried that by disconnecting physically but just got an error message. If
    that's the only way then it's too hit n miss for me. I did eventually get
    the LAN-only CS1.6 working as a dedicated server with bots (which was the
    ultimate intention anyway).

    Either I can't work out how to do internet-free Steam CS1.6 as a dedicated
    server or it can't be done at all.

    Is wanting internet-free Steam CS such an outrageous request?

    After spending a small fortune of Valve products to get the CD keys to play
    legally i'm forced into using LAN-only 1.6 because......I don't know why.
    Perhaps Valve can answer that one.
  3. binky said:

    Can the LAN only version of CS 1.6 be made to run a dedicated server?

    I'm currently downloading the HLDS software for 1.6 to see if I can answer
    my own Q, but, having read through the readme it looks like it has to be
    connected to the net for authentication.

    Any help appreciated.

    Binky.

Dedicated Server Authentication Games LAN Video Games