Hi All!

WOW! After reading all this I'm not sure I wanna use the Remote Desktop
Assistance in MSN Messenger!

Here's the deal:

I want to use the Remote Desktop Assistance activity in MSN Messenger to
connect from our office to some of our remote sites so that I can do a
little desktop support when needed. MOST of the machines are running Win2K
so I have installed Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. RDA is an option
but I'm kinda wondering whether I'm going to have issues when it comes to
the Pix firewall.

Got any suggestions where to start?

Thanks!
Laurel

Well, if a remote machine is running W2K then you normally can not use
either Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance to access/control the machine
unless the remote W2K machine is a W2K Server running Terminal Services. In
that case you could use Remote Desktop.

Alternatives may include VNC. I use and recommend UltraVNC with its
encryption plug-in or you can run it through a VPN or SSH tunnel.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Laurel Conrad" <LaurelC@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> WOW! After reading all this I'm not sure I wanna use the Remote Desktop
> Assistance in MSN Messenger!
>
> Here's the deal:
>
> I want to use the Remote Desktop Assistance activity in MSN Messenger to
> connect from our office to some of our remote sites so that I can do a
> little desktop support when needed. MOST of the machines are running
> Win2K
> so I have installed Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. RDA is an option
> but I'm kinda wondering whether I'm going to have issues when it comes to
> the Pix firewall.
>
> Got any suggestions where to start?
>
> Thanks!
> Laurel

MSN Messenger support says you can!

Here's what they wrote:

Hello Laurel,

Thank you for writing back to MSN Messenger Technical Support. This is
Carolina and I am here to help you on your concern.

You can download Windows Messenger on your computer by going through
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774&DisplayLang=en
and downloading the latest version 5.1 on your Windows 2000 computer. After
you have downloaded Windows Messenger, you are going to be able to use the
Remote Assistance Feature.

Thank you again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. If you need
further assistance with this or any other issue, please feel free to contact
us again.

You can also visit http://messenger.msn.com/help or http://support.msn.com

Best Regards,

Carolina