Remote Desktop port 3389 blocked

steveh

I had to reload a system and now I can't get the remote desktop to connect.
The router firewall settings didn't change. I setup the target PC with the
same IP address, turned on remote access, added the remote desktop as an
exception to the firewall and added the user to the remote desktop users
group. Terminal services are running. The router logs shows the request being
forwarded to the correct IP address. I turned on logging to login activity
and get no login attempts. Netstat -a shows the system is listening on 3389.
I loaded port query to check the port and it shows "TCP port 3389 (unknown
service): NOT LISTENING". Any ideas on how to debug this?
--
SteveH

Any chance your running NAV 2005 on the PC? NAV 2005 worm protection is
reported block incoming RDP connections.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reload a system and now I can't get the remote desktop to connect.
> The router firewall settings didn't change. I setup the target PC with the
> same IP address, turned on remote access, added the remote desktop as an
> exception to the firewall and added the user to the remote desktop users
> group. Terminal services are running. The router logs shows the request
> being
> forwarded to the correct IP address. I turned on logging to login activity
> and get no login attempts. Netstat -a shows the system is listening on
> 3389.
> I loaded port query to check the port and it shows "TCP port 3389 (unknown
> service): NOT LISTENING". Any ideas on how to debug this?
> --
> SteveH

steveh

I have NAV 2005 on 3 other systems on this network with no problems. It's on
the system with the problem and was installed before I did the reload and I
have had no problems with it. The only change in software is Adobe reader
version 7 instead of 6 and a newer version of AOL. The SE version of AOL has
an optional firewall that is not installed.
--
SteveH

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Any chance your running NAV 2005 on the PC? NAV 2005 worm protection is
> reported block incoming RDP connections.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to reload a system and now I can't get the remote desktop to connect.
> > The router firewall settings didn't change. I setup the target PC with the
> > same IP address, turned on remote access, added the remote desktop as an
> > exception to the firewall and added the user to the remote desktop users
> > group. Terminal services are running. The router logs shows the request
> > being
> > forwarded to the correct IP address. I turned on logging to login activity
> > and get no login attempts. Netstat -a shows the system is listening on
> > 3389.
> > I loaded port query to check the port and it shows "TCP port 3389 (unknown
> > service): NOT LISTENING". Any ideas on how to debug this?
> > --
> > SteveH

Have you tried disabling NAV 2005 worm protection or configuring it to allow
RDP? Check the NAV 2005 support pages for help with that...