failing remote desktop connection - why?!

Hello,

I am trying to sort out a Remote Desktop connection to a colleague in
another part of the world.

Story so far.

1. Both he and I have enabled remote desktop connection in our Windows
XP Pro Firewalls

2. He has connected to his router and enabled port forwarding for port
3389.

3. his router is a Marconi router and the Marconi suggested settings
under Virtual Server are

Public Port Start 3389
Public Port End 3389
Private 3389
Port Type TCP/UDP
Host/Server IP address 192.168.***

4. I am not clear what is required under the last one, Host/Server IP
address as it is not a server just a simple PC connected to the
Internet via the Marconi ADSL modem/router.

He was advised by Marconi to put in my IP adress which doesn't make
sense - does it?! The 192.168.*** is a private range of IPs so what
should he enter there?

5. To get the Internet side IP of the router he used
http://www.whatismyip.com but this comes up with 2 IPs only one of
which can be pinged.

Any idea why 2 IPs?

6. Anyway having tried Remote Desktop from my end I not surprisingly
could not connect !

Any thoughts please?!

Cheers

Geoff
1 answer Last reply
More about failing remote desktop connection

    See this page for help with Remote Desktop...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    <Geoff Cox> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to sort out a Remote Desktop connection to a colleague in
    > another part of the world.
    >
    > Story so far.
    >
    > 1. Both he and I have enabled remote desktop connection in our Windows
    > XP Pro Firewalls
    >
    > 2. He has connected to his router and enabled port forwarding for port
    > 3389.
    >
    > 3. his router is a Marconi router and the Marconi suggested settings
    > under Virtual Server are
    >
    > Public Port Start 3389
    > Public Port End 3389
    > Private 3389
    > Port Type TCP/UDP
    > Host/Server IP address 192.168.***
    >
    > 4. I am not clear what is required under the last one, Host/Server IP
    > address as it is not a server just a simple PC connected to the
    > Internet via the Marconi ADSL modem/router.
    >
    > He was advised by Marconi to put in my IP adress which doesn't make
    > sense - does it?! The 192.168.*** is a private range of IPs so what
    > should he enter there?
    >
    > 5. To get the Internet side IP of the router he used
    > http://www.whatismyip.com but this comes up with 2 IPs only one of
    > which can be pinged.
    >
    > Any idea why 2 IPs?
    >
    > 6. Anyway having tried Remote Desktop from my end I not surprisingly
    > could not connect !
    >
    > Any thoughts please?!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Geoff

Remote Desktop Routers Connection Windows XP