Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Alternative to MS Remote Desktop Connection Client?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 16, 2005 8:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Are there any more sophisticated packages out there that can connect to
standard Remote Desktop enabled Windows machine?

I need to connect to several remote computers on a regular basis, and
would like something that would remember my login settings for each one
of them.

The standard Remote Desktop Connection client that come with Windows
2000 only seems to remember the settings for *one* connection.

(Or are there perhaps some call arguments that I could put into the
shortcut, in order to define certain login parameters?)
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:03:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This article may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stacey" wrote:
| Are there any more sophisticated packages out there that can connect to
| standard Remote Desktop enabled Windows machine?
|
| I need to connect to several remote computers on a regular basis, and
| would like something that would remember my login settings for each one
| of them.
|
| The standard Remote Desktop Connection client that come with Windows
| 2000 only seems to remember the settings for *one* connection.
|
| (Or are there perhaps some call arguments that I could put into the
| shortcut, in order to define certain login parameters?)
|
September 17, 2005 4:02:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I'm aware that I can save connection profiles in different files. But
opening each one up manually whenever I connect to a different server
doesn't seem much of an advantage over just entering your credentials
manually (unless there's a way I couldn't find in the reference, of
specifying a specific profile as an argument in your shortcut).
Related resources
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:43:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes. You can also specify credentials.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stacey" wrote:
| I'm aware that I can save connection profiles in different files. But
| opening each one up manually whenever I connect to a different server
| doesn't seem much of an advantage over just entering your credentials
| manually (unless there's a way I couldn't find in the reference, of
| specifying a specific profile as an argument in your shortcut).
|
September 17, 2005 12:31:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I *know* I can specify credentials...

But can I specify a *configuration file* in my shortcut (something like
"mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp" or "mstc.exe -config:clientB.rdp"), so
that it will use that right away, without me having to select it in the
open menu?
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:39:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes, give it a try.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stacey" wrote:
|I *know* I can specify credentials...
|
| But can I specify a *configuration file* in my shortcut (something like
| "mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp" or "mstc.exe -config:clientB.rdp"), so
| that it will use that right away, without me having to select it in the
| open menu?
|
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:10:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for your *totally useless* anwers!

"mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp"? ... "Yes, give it a try."...

There IS NO such parameter as "-config"!
I just made it up to demonstrate what I was looking for!
Do you have ANY clue what you are talking about?

But nevertheless, I did finally find out how to do it, and if anybody
else is looking for this functionality here's the procedure:

Start up your Remote Desktop Connection client (mstsc.exe), define your
connection parameters, and save it as an .rdp file. You can now create
a shortcut to this file, and clicking on it will connect you with those
specific connection parameters. (To edit an existing file, right-click
and select Edit.)

You could also use it as an argument in your shortcut to mstsc.exe,
with the following syntax: "mstsc.exe <rdp path>", e.g. "mstsc.exe
c:\myconnections\clientA.rdp". No argument label or anything like that
needed. (But that's probably more hassle than just linking to the .rdp
file itself.)

If you go to a command line, and call mstsc.exe /? you will get a list
of possible arguments.
September 17, 2005 3:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for your *totally useless* anwers!

"mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp"? ... "Yes, give it a try."...

There IS NO such parameter as "-config"!
I just made it up to demonstrate what I was looking for!
Do you have ANY clue what you are talking about?

But nevertheless, I did finally find out how to do it, and if anybody
else is looking for this functionality here's the procedure:

Start up your Remote Desktop Connection client (mstsc.exe), define your
connection parameters, and save it as an .rdp file. You can now create
a shortcut to this file, and clicking on it will connect you with those
specific connection parameters. (To edit an existing file, right-click
and select Edit.)

You could also use it as an argument in your shortcut to mstsc.exe,
with the following syntax: "mstsc.exe <rdp path>", e.g. "mstsc.exe
c:\myconnections\clientA.rdp". No argument label or anything like that
needed. (But that's probably more hassle than just linking to the .rdp
file itself.)

If you go to a command line, and call mstsc.exe /? you will get a list
of possible arguments.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

How childish. Try re-reading the article I pointed you to. This is all
outlined there. How utterly ridiculous!

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<Frescard@gmail.com> wrote:
| Thanks for your *totally useless* anwers!
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Stacey I find that misread your reply somewhat and as a result I take back
my response. I know it probably makes little difference but I apologize.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect
October 7, 2010 12:14:06 PM

Wow - talk about a necropost! I'm afraid that your solution doesn't actually answer the question of connecting to Remote Desktop.
October 7, 2010 2:25:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!