Closed

Alternative to MS Remote Desktop Connection Client?

Are there any more sophisticated packages out there that can connect to
standard Remote Desktop enabled Windows machine?

I need to connect to several remote computers on a regular basis, and
would like something that would remember my login settings for each one
of them.

The standard Remote Desktop Connection client that come with Windows
2000 only seems to remember the settings for *one* connection.

(Or are there perhaps some call arguments that I could put into the
shortcut, in order to define certain login parameters?)
12 answers Last reply
More about alternative remote desktop connection client

    This article may help.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/9c574eb2-9e53-4c7f-8303-4b7ba3c651da.mspx

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stacey" wrote:
    | Are there any more sophisticated packages out there that can connect to
    | standard Remote Desktop enabled Windows machine?
    |
    | I need to connect to several remote computers on a regular basis, and
    | would like something that would remember my login settings for each one
    | of them.
    |
    | The standard Remote Desktop Connection client that come with Windows
    | 2000 only seems to remember the settings for *one* connection.
    |
    | (Or are there perhaps some call arguments that I could put into the
    | shortcut, in order to define certain login parameters?)

    I'm aware that I can save connection profiles in different files. But
    opening each one up manually whenever I connect to a different server
    doesn't seem much of an advantage over just entering your credentials
    manually (unless there's a way I couldn't find in the reference, of
    specifying a specific profile as an argument in your shortcut).

    Yes. You can also specify credentials.

    --

    "Stacey" wrote:
    | I'm aware that I can save connection profiles in different files. But
    | opening each one up manually whenever I connect to a different server
    | doesn't seem much of an advantage over just entering your credentials
    | manually (unless there's a way I couldn't find in the reference, of
    | specifying a specific profile as an argument in your shortcut).

    I *know* I can specify credentials...

    But can I specify a *configuration file* in my shortcut (something like
    "mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp" or "mstc.exe -config:clientB.rdp"), so
    that it will use that right away, without me having to select it in the
    open menu?

    Yes, give it a try.

    --

    "Stacey" wrote:
    |I *know* I can specify credentials...
    |
    | But can I specify a *configuration file* in my shortcut (something like
    | "mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp" or "mstc.exe -config:clientB.rdp"), so
    | that it will use that right away, without me having to select it in the
    | open menu?

    Thanks for your *totally useless* anwers!

    "mstc.exe -config:clientA.rdp"? ... "Yes, give it a try."...

    There IS NO such parameter as "-config"!
    I just made it up to demonstrate what I was looking for!
    Do you have ANY clue what you are talking about?

    But nevertheless, I did finally find out how to do it, and if anybody
    else is looking for this functionality here's the procedure:

    Start up your Remote Desktop Connection client (mstsc.exe), define your
    connection parameters, and save it as an .rdp file. You can now create
    a shortcut to this file, and clicking on it will connect you with those
    specific connection parameters. (To edit an existing file, right-click
    and select Edit.)

    You could also use it as an argument in your shortcut to mstsc.exe,
    with the following syntax: "mstsc.exe <rdp path>", e.g. "mstsc.exe
    c:\myconnections\clientA.rdp". No argument label or anything like that
    needed. (But that's probably more hassle than just linking to the .rdp
    file itself.)

    If you go to a command line, and call mstsc.exe /? you will get a list
    of possible arguments.

[...]

    How childish. Try re-reading the article I pointed you to. This is all
    outlined there. How utterly ridiculous!

    --

    <Frescard@gmail.com> wrote:
    | Thanks for your *totally useless* anwers!
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Stacey I find that misread your reply somewhat and as a result I take back
    my response. I know it probably makes little difference but I apologize.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  10. You can also use this free tool, it uses a web browser as a client to control the remote desktop.

    http://about-it.rootshell.la/?p=77

    Hope that will help :)
  11. Wow - talk about a necropost! I'm afraid that your solution doesn't actually answer the question of connecting to Remote Desktop.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP