View Only In Remote Assistance

I've used Remote Assistance once before to help a friend where I could
actually take control of his computer, with his OK of course. When I came to
use it again, I could only view his screen. This time there was no option to
view or control, only view.

Someone earlier had suggested pressing F11 to bring up the options but this
didn't work.

Any advice that will allow me to control a remote computer would be
appreciated.

Cheers
5 answers Last reply
More about view remote assistance

    Its possible your friend has configured the Remote Assistance group policies
    to only allow viewing of their PC when in a RA session. Have them run
    gpedit.msc at the command line and navigate to the "Local Computer Policy ->
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Remote
    Assistance" and verify nothing has been configured to only allow viewing.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've used Remote Assistance once before to help a friend where I could
    > actually take control of his computer, with his OK of course. When I came
    > use it again, I could only view his screen. This time there was no option
    > view or control, only view.
    >
    > Someone earlier had suggested pressing F11 to bring up the options but
    > this
    > didn't work.
    >
    > Any advice that will allow me to control a remote computer would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    Thanks for the suggestion but the entry "gpedit.msc" wasn't recognised.
    Neither could I find "computer configuration".

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Its possible your friend has configured the Remote Assistance group policies
    > to only allow viewing of their PC when in a RA session. Have them run
    > gpedit.msc at the command line and navigate to the "Local Computer Policy ->
    > Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Remote
    > Assistance" and verify nothing has been configured to only allow viewing.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've used Remote Assistance once before to help a friend where I could
    > > actually take control of his computer, with his OK of course. When I came
    > > use it again, I could only view his screen. This time there was no option
    > > view or control, only view.
    > >
    > > Someone earlier had suggested pressing F11 to bring up the options but
    > > this
    > > didn't work.
    > >
    > > Any advice that will allow me to control a remote computer would be
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Cheers

    Okay, I guess your friend is running XP Home. Try this, and I should have
    thought of this earlier...

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Properties. Tap the Remote tab and
    click on the Remote Assistance "Advanced" button. Make sure the "Allow this
    computer to be controlled remotely" checkbox is CHECKED.

    --

    > Thanks for the suggestion but the entry "gpedit.msc" wasn't recognised.
    > Neither could I find "computer configuration".
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Its possible your friend has configured the Remote Assistance group
    >> policies
    >> to only allow viewing of their PC when in a RA session. Have them run
    >> gpedit.msc at the command line and navigate to the "Local Computer
    >> Policy ->
    >> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Remote
    >> Assistance" and verify nothing has been configured to only allow viewing.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>
    >> "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've used Remote Assistance once before to help a friend where I could
    >> > actually take control of his computer, with his OK of course. When I
    >> > came
    >> > use it again, I could only view his screen. This time there was no
    >> > option
    >> > view or control, only view.
    >> >
    >> > Someone earlier had suggested pressing F11 to bring up the options but
    >> > this
    >> > didn't work.
    >> >
    >> > Any advice that will allow me to control a remote computer would be
    >> > appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers

    Everything was how it should be but I just went through the motions of
    clicking on and off - and it worked.

    Many thanks for your time and bothering to come back.

    Glad its working for you...

    --

    > Everything was how it should be but I just went through the motions of
    > clicking on and off - and it worked.
    >
    > Many thanks for your time and bothering to come back.
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, I guess your friend is running XP Home. Try this, and I should have
    >> thought of this earlier...
    >>
    >> Right click on "My Computer" and select Properties. Tap the Remote tab
    >> and
    >> click on the Remote Assistance "Advanced" button. Make sure the "Allow
    >> this
    >> computer to be controlled remotely" checkbox is CHECKED.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>
    >> "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the suggestion but the entry "gpedit.msc" wasn't recognised.
    >> > Neither could I find "computer configuration".

Computers Microsoft Windows XP