Remote Control PC behind broadband router?

Hi,

How can I remotely control 2 PC behind connected by my home broadband
router from my office which the office firewall block most of the
network ports, other than the web port 80.

I had 2 PC in my home, one running WinXP, the other Fedora Linux.
The WinXP is the one I used for my word processing and data file
processing, while the Linux box mainly for network services, like LPD,
FTPD and Samba.

Occasionally, I need to manage this PC from work to instruct my PC to
perform certain task, like downloading huge files from net(which
impossible with my office slow internet link).

Is there any way I could utilised VNC client to call out using port 80,
and connect to the any of the 2 VNC hosts servers.

The problem I faced was the port forwarding on my home router.
You can't really forward two port-80 at the same time.
Is there anyway to resolve this issue beside having other port number
like port-21?

Anyway, I used DynDNS.org to obtain a "static" DDNS IP for my home
Linksys GPL-firmware router.

Alternatively, Is there any tool to "perform instruction by mail
server"?
1 answer Last reply
More about remote control broadband router

    You could setup a SSH tunnel and run UltraVNC through the tunnel. See this
    page for help setting that up...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    You could run the SSH server on the XP box or some (if not most) LINUX
    distributions come with a SSH server built-in.

    Otherwise you can also port forward more than one port through your router
    for VNC...

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    Beyond all of that, you really need to check with your office network
    administrators about this. The company may have policies against connecting
    untrusted hosts (your home PCs) to your trusted office network...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Ultra Kiasu" <ultrakiasu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I remotely control 2 PC behind connected by my home broadband
    > router from my office which the office firewall block most of the
    > network ports, other than the web port 80.
    >
    > I had 2 PC in my home, one running WinXP, the other Fedora Linux.
    > The WinXP is the one I used for my word processing and data file
    > processing, while the Linux box mainly for network services, like LPD,
    > FTPD and Samba.
    >
    > Occasionally, I need to manage this PC from work to instruct my PC to
    > perform certain task, like downloading huge files from net(which
    > impossible with my office slow internet link).
    >
    > Is there any way I could utilised VNC client to call out using port 80,
    > and connect to the any of the 2 VNC hosts servers.
    >
    > The problem I faced was the port forwarding on my home router.
    > You can't really forward two port-80 at the same time.
    > Is there anyway to resolve this issue beside having other port number
    > like port-21?
    >
    > Anyway, I used DynDNS.org to obtain a "static" DDNS IP for my home
    > Linksys GPL-firmware router.
    >
    > Alternatively, Is there any tool to "perform instruction by mail
    > server"?

Routers Windows XP