Best Remote Access Option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello

I've read a lot of the comments already posted to this site about this issue
so I wanted to thank everyone for their great contributions. My situation
is a little unique so I have some questions.

Here's what I want to do..

I have 2 floors in my building, the first floor being the warehouse and the
second floor being my office. I want to have a desktop on the 1st floor
that will not move and a notebook in my office (2nd floor) that I will be
taking in and out of the office, or working with when I'm not in the
warehouse.

The 1st floor PC will have Windows XP Pro (I'm buying it this week), the one
on the 2nd floor has XP Home. Both should have identical copies of the
software that I'll be using.

My situation is this..

I often use applications that update themselves on the web. For example, I
use auction management software that logs into eBay and pulls the data for
me and inputs it into the program. I also use applications like MS Money
that go onto the web and pull data.

What's the best way to be able to keep these things in sync on both PCs?
Right now I'm using two laptops running XP home and a shared folder and I
backup the files and save them in the shared folder, then I grab the file on
the other PC and run the restore function in the applications. It works,
but heaven help me if I download data without restoring first after I switch
my PCs..

Also, I sometimes have large volumes of pictures (20 megs) that need to be
accessed by both computers, depending on which one I'm using for design at
the time. Putting them into and pulling them out of the shared folder takes
a lot of time.

I also have a lot of templates (about 100+) that I use when making a web
page. I want both PCs to be able to access them.

So, my issues are that I have items that need to be in sync every time I use
them, and I also have large amounts of data or large numbers of files that I
want access to on both PCs.

Here's what I've read about so far:

PCAnywhere

UltraVNC

GoToMyPC

Or would Remote Desktop work just as well?

Most of the above seem to focus on the ability to take control of another
PC. I just need it to transfer files back and forth and keep them synched
as much as possible. The reviews of the products seem to focus on business
applications that I either don't need or know nothing about, such as
accessing DOS prompts, etc. I thought posting here my find someone who does
close to what I'm going to do and could recommend something for me.

I'll also be taking my notebook out of the office sometimes and want to be
able to access files while I'm on the go..

Thanks,

Eric

Set up a peer-to-peer network at work and store the data on your laptop.
When you leave work, YOU have the most recent data on your machine.

"Eric" <erictucson@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> want access to on both PCs.
>

> Here's what I've read about so far:
>

> PCAnywhere
>
> UltraVNC
>
> GoToMyPC
>

> Or would Remote Desktop work just as well?
>

> Most of the above seem to focus on the ability to take control of another
> PC. I just need it to transfer files back and forth and keep them synched
> as much as possible. The reviews of the products seem to focus on
business
> applications that I either don't need or know nothing about, such as
> accessing DOS prompts, etc. I thought posting here my find someone who
does
> close to what I'm going to do and could recommend something for me.
>

> I'll also be taking my notebook out of the office sometimes and want to be
> able to access files while I'm on the go..

brylee

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Eric, it’s simple. Try this remote access software.

http://www.remotepc.com

You can run any applications and access entire desktop and network resources of your remote computer. You can also transfer files to and fro and even print locally.

larytet

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
try http://gomyplace.com/
allows file browsing on the remote machine and basic access to the command shell
works in NATed/firewalled environments
you can browse files on the remote machien with your favorite Internet browser like, IE of Firefox

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Definately setup a free account at a dynamic IP service like no-ip, and install the software that will do an update whenever your IP changes.

I sometimes use a Remote Desktop Connection, but other times a VNC connection is better since it lets switch user accounts, allows the client to see what I am going for remote tutoring ...

I shy way from comercial services since I can get all my needs met through free services and software.

twarrington

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I really enjoy the entire catalog of logmein products. Of particular interest to you might be Backup, a remote-access backup program that backs up files from one system onto another. You can schedule it to go off at regular intervals as well.

Best of luck with the setup!

How did this work out for you? If you haven't made a choice yet I'd recommend Proxy Networks. They have software that does exactly what you want. I use it in my office to perform similar task. See: http://www.proxynetworks.com