Remote connection

I am trying to connect to my other computer at my office. I am new with
WinXP. My home office is WinXp Pro and work is WinXP Home. The message I
receive is "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the
remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again." I have run
through help and, seem, to have everything set up but it will not accept me.
I emailed my invitation to the home office but with no luck. Please assist.

Thank You
3 answers Last reply
More about remote connection

    Are you trying to connect to the home office XP Pro box using Remote Desktop
    so you can access/control it?

    ....or do you want to remotely access/control the XP Home box? If the latter
    is the case look at using UltraVNC as an alternative since XP Home can *NOT*
    act as a Remote Desktop host.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    I recommend you use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run UltraVNC or
    Remote Desktop through a SSH tunnel if you use this over the public
    internet...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    Remote Assistance is more applicable to a help desk function...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Learning as I go" <LearningasIgo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C801AD99-40BA-410D-AB2F-2C2D03F9999F@microsoft.com...
    >I am trying to connect to my other computer at my office. I am new with
    > WinXP. My home office is WinXp Pro and work is WinXP Home. The message
    > receive is "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because
    > the
    > remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again." I have run
    > through help and, seem, to have everything set up but it will not accept
    > me.
    > I emailed my invitation to the home office but with no luck. Please
    > assist.
    >
    > Thank You

    Hi Sooner Al [MVP]

    My office computer was upgraded to WinXp Pro therefore both of the computers
    are running Pro. My office computer is on a network, if that has any bearing
    on anything. I have gone through all of the steps set out by Windows XP Help
    and done the same at home to set up a remote connection. I have my computers
    address etc and followed the instructions. The error I now receive is "The
    client could not connect to the remote computer, remote connections might not
    be enable or..." etc. Am I simply missing something? The network is Windows
    2000 but I am attempting to connect directly to my office computer not the
    server. I am used to PCAnywhere, any relationship in the setup?

    Thank You

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Are you trying to connect to the home office XP Pro box using Remote Desktop
    > so you can access/control it?
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > ....or do you want to remotely access/control the XP Home box? If the latter
    > is the case look at using UltraVNC as an alternative since XP Home can *NOT*
    > act as a Remote Desktop host.
    >
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > I recommend you use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run UltraVNC or
    > Remote Desktop through a SSH tunnel if you use this over the public
    > internet...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >
    > Remote Assistance is more applicable to a help desk function...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Learning as I go" <LearningasIgo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:C801AD99-40BA-410D-AB2F-2C2D03F9999F@microsoft.com...
    > >I am trying to connect to my other computer at my office. I am new with
    > > WinXP. My home office is WinXp Pro and work is WinXP Home. The message
    > > receive is "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because
    > > the
    > > remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again." I have run
    > > through help and, seem, to have everything set up but it will not accept
    > > me.
    > > I emailed my invitation to the home office but with no luck. Please
    > > assist.
    > >
    > > Thank You

    If the office PC is behind a firewall then you need to open TCP Port 3389 to
    the private static LAN IP of your office PC. Contact your office network
    administrators for help with that. You call the office PC from home using
    the public IP address of the firewall.

    --

    message news:34322C89-836C-406C-8770-1BBC973977D9@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Sooner Al [MVP]
    >
    > My office computer was upgraded to WinXp Pro therefore both of the
    > computers
    > are running Pro. My office computer is on a network, if that has any
    > bearing
    > on anything. I have gone through all of the steps set out by Windows XP
    > Help
    > and done the same at home to set up a remote connection. I have my
    > computers
    > address etc and followed the instructions. The error I now receive is
    > "The
    > client could not connect to the remote computer, remote connections might
    > not
    > be enable or..." etc. Am I simply missing something? The network is
    > Windows
    > 2000 but I am attempting to connect directly to my office computer not the
    > server. I am used to PCAnywhere, any relationship in the setup?
    >
    > Thank You
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you trying to connect to the home office XP Pro box using Remote
    >> Desktop
    >> so you can access/control it?
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> ....or do you want to remotely access/control the XP Home box? If the
    >> latter
    >> is the case look at using UltraVNC as an alternative since XP Home can
    >> *NOT*
    >> act as a Remote Desktop host.
    >>
    >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> I recommend you use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run UltraVNC or
    >> Remote Desktop through a SSH tunnel if you use this over the public
    >> internet...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>
    >> Remote Assistance is more applicable to a help desk function...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>
    >> "Learning as I go" <LearningasIgo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:C801AD99-40BA-410D-AB2F-2C2D03F9999F@microsoft.com...
    >> >I am trying to connect to my other computer at my office. I am new with
    >> > WinXP. My home office is WinXp Pro and work is WinXP Home. The
    >> > message
    >> > receive is "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
    >> > because
    >> > the
    >> > remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again." I have run
    >> > through help and, seem, to have everything set up but it will not
    >> > accept
    >> > me.
    >> > I emailed my invitation to the home office but with no luck. Please
    >> > assist.
    >> >
    >> > Thank You

Connection Microsoft Office Windows XP