Remote Assistance Problem

I have been trying to connect using remote assistance with family in Wyoming,
Ohio, Colorado and Florida but all I get is the window that says "Attempting
to connect" - no error messages, no messages of any kind but know connection
can be made. Other family members are experiencing the same problem. We all
have tried using MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger with the same results.
We are running SP2 and all Pc's are updated. All are on cable internet. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. This has been going on for 3 days and
according to the help section all systems are stable and running. Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance problem

    Do you have XP's firewall on?

    "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to connect using remote assistance with family in
    Wyoming,
    > Ohio, Colorado and Florida but all I get is the window that says
    "Attempting
    > to connect" - no error messages, no messages of any kind but know
    connection
    > can be made. Other family members are experiencing the same problem. We
    all
    > have tried using MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger with the same
    results.
    > We are running SP2 and all Pc's are updated. All are on cable internet.
    Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated. This has been going on for 3 days and
    > according to the help section all systems are stable and running. Thank
    you.

    I am using Norton's Security - other family members are using XP Firewall -
    however...those that are using the XP Firewall cannot remote with each other
    either. Programs have been checked and all are allow - this problem started
    3 days ago - nothing on any of our Pc's has changed. Any other suggestions?
    Has anyone esle reported this problem. Cable providers are Comcast,
    Brighthouse and Earthlink DSL- I cannot seem to find any mutual link with the
    people's pc's as I stated previously they are spread out across the country.
    Thanks again. It doesn't matter if it is Windows or MSN Messenger - niether
    work for remote assistance.

    "Laurel Conrad" wrote:

    > Do you have XP's firewall on?
    >
    > "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been trying to connect using remote assistance with family in
    > Wyoming,
    > > Ohio, Colorado and Florida but all I get is the window that says
    > "Attempting
    > > to connect" - no error messages, no messages of any kind but know
    > connection
    > > can be made. Other family members are experiencing the same problem. We
    > all
    > > have tried using MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger with the same
    > results.
    > > We are running SP2 and all Pc's are updated. All are on cable internet.
    > Any
    > > suggestions would be appreciated. This has been going on for 3 days and
    > > according to the help section all systems are stable and running. Thank
    > you.

    For the users who are using XP SP_2 and have the Firewall active, they should
    make sure that the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
    checkbox and "Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent this computer"
    checkbox are checked in System Properties.

    Also in Control Panel/ Windows Firewall/ Exceptions tab, they should make
    sure the Remote Assistance & Remote Desktop checkboxes are checked.

    Hope this helps in any way...
    --
    The Saint
    MCP, MCDST

    "Fuzzy" wrote:

    > I am using Norton's Security - other family members are using XP Firewall -
    > however...those that are using the XP Firewall cannot remote with each other
    > either. Programs have been checked and all are allow - this problem started
    > 3 days ago - nothing on any of our Pc's has changed. Any other suggestions?
    > Has anyone esle reported this problem. Cable providers are Comcast,
    > Brighthouse and Earthlink DSL- I cannot seem to find any mutual link with the
    > people's pc's as I stated previously they are spread out across the country.
    > Thanks again. It doesn't matter if it is Windows or MSN Messenger - niether
    > work for remote assistance.
    >
    > "Laurel Conrad" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you have XP's firewall on?
    > >
    > > "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have been trying to connect using remote assistance with family in
    > > Wyoming,
    > > > Ohio, Colorado and Florida but all I get is the window that says
    > > "Attempting
    > > > to connect" - no error messages, no messages of any kind but know
    > > connection
    > > > can be made. Other family members are experiencing the same problem. We
    > > all
    > > > have tried using MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger with the same
    > > results.
    > > > We are running SP2 and all Pc's are updated. All are on cable internet.
    > > Any
    > > > suggestions would be appreciated. This has been going on for 3 days and
    > > > according to the help section all systems are stable and running. Thank
    > > you.

    Thank you for your reply - all suggestions have been checked and double
    checked all of our systems. We can use audio and video - no problem - still
    no remote. I have taken Norton's Security off of my sister's PC and turned
    on windows firewall, installed AVG. All items are checked...any more
    suggestions???? Thanks so much.

    "Fuzzy" wrote:

    > I have been trying to connect using remote assistance with family in Wyoming,
    > Ohio, Colorado and Florida but all I get is the window that says "Attempting
    > to connect" - no error messages, no messages of any kind but know connection
    > can be made. Other family members are experiencing the same problem. We all
    > have tried using MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger with the same results.
    > We are running SP2 and all Pc's are updated. All are on cable internet. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated. This has been going on for 3 days and
    > according to the help section all systems are stable and running. Thank you.
  5. I was experiencing problems connecting to my mom's computer through remote assistance. Spent hours reading about possible solutions and implementing them such as port forwarding and static IPs with no success.

    After finding a solution I smacked myself in the head thinking, "Why didnt I think of this before?". The solution: abandon Microsoft and simply try third party software designed for the same purpose. I started and ended my search with TeamViewer. Its free, almost too easy to use and works great.

    How is it that free software works better - or at all - than our wonderful Windows which we pay for, in theory anyway ???

Connection Microsoft Windows XP