Remote Desktop and VPN?

No... That statement is a bit misleading... The native RDP data link is
encrypted although some folks, including myself, do run RDP through a VPN or
SSH tunnel for added security.

Basically if you use a VPN or SSH tunnel you make that connection first then
the RDP connection.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Tom Beaman" <Tom Beaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Do I NEED to set up a Virtual Private Network to use the Remote
> Desktop?
> That is what it sounds like at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/starteromote.mspx?pf=true
>
> 2. Is there an advantage if I set up a VPN? Does the Remote Desktop
> Connection application then use the VPN to connect client to host?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

thomasrey

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
VPN is not necessary for Remote Desktop, however there are many advantages.

Most Remote Desktop solutions have some security flaws as described here:

Remote Desktop Security

so using VPN seems reasonable.
It may also sort out the problem of accessing a machine behind firewall as described in the article above.