Trying to connect from one home pc to another using remote desktop. I keep
getting the message 'the client could not establish a connection to the
remote computer'. The other pc can remote to me but not vice versa. Tried
through msn messenger but get 'the name could not be resolved' error. But
again, the other pc can remote into me through messenger. Firewall has been
checked and the appropriate ports are open. Remote Assistance and Remote
desktop are both turned on. I can ping the ip and I get a response. I can
remote into other pc's but just not this one. All updates are done on the pc
in question. Is there something I'm missing or that I could try? Please help.

See the troubleshooting section of this page for help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Malcolmb" <Malcolmb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to connect from one home pc to another using remote desktop. I keep
> getting the message 'the client could not establish a connection to the
> remote computer'. The other pc can remote to me but not vice versa. Tried
> through msn messenger but get 'the name could not be resolved' error. But
> again, the other pc can remote into me through messenger. Firewall has
> been
> checked and the appropriate ports are open. Remote Assistance and Remote
> desktop are both turned on. I can ping the ip and I get a response. I can
> remote into other pc's but just not this one. All updates are done on the
> pc
> in question. Is there something I'm missing or that I could try? Please
> help.

You have to have a password set on the host computer to use remore access.

"Malcolmb" wrote:

> Trying to connect from one home pc to another using remote desktop. I keep
> getting the message 'the client could not establish a connection to the
> remote computer'. The other pc can remote to me but not vice versa. Tried
> through msn messenger but get 'the name could not be resolved' error. But
> again, the other pc can remote into me through messenger. Firewall has been
> checked and the appropriate ports are open. Remote Assistance and Remote
> desktop are both turned on. I can ping the ip and I get a response. I can
> remote into other pc's but just not this one. All updates are done on the pc
> in question. Is there something I'm missing or that I could try? Please help.

Yes the password is set on the host computer.

"jerryrock" wrote:

> You have to have a password set on the host computer to use remore access.
>
> "Malcolmb" wrote:
>
> > Trying to connect from one home pc to another using remote desktop. I keep
> > getting the message 'the client could not establish a connection to the
> > remote computer'. The other pc can remote to me but not vice versa. Tried
> > through msn messenger but get 'the name could not be resolved' error. But
> > again, the other pc can remote into me through messenger. Firewall has been
> > checked and the appropriate ports are open. Remote Assistance and Remote
> > desktop are both turned on. I can ping the ip and I get a response. I can
> > remote into other pc's but just not this one. All updates are done on the pc
> > in question. Is there something I'm missing or that I could try? Please help.

Done everything in there. Still does not work.
Any other suggestions?

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> See the troubleshooting section of this page for help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Malcolmb" <Malcolmb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to connect from one home pc to another using remote desktop. I keep
> > getting the message 'the client could not establish a connection to the
> > remote computer'. The other pc can remote to me but not vice versa. Tried
> > through msn messenger but get 'the name could not be resolved' error. But
> > again, the other pc can remote into me through messenger. Firewall has
> > been
> > checked and the appropriate ports are open. Remote Assistance and Remote
> > desktop are both turned on. I can ping the ip and I get a response. I can
> > remote into other pc's but just not this one. All updates are done on the
> > pc
> > in question. Is there something I'm missing or that I could try? Please
> > help.

Any chance your running NAV 2005 on the PC you can't connect to? Some folks
report NAV 2005 worm protection kills incoming RDP connections.