Remote Desktop Connection Issue

Hello all,

i have 4 computers in my home, all running Windows XP Professional Service
Pack 2, they all have the Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security 2005 Anti
Spyware Edition installed also. My issue is that on one of my Desktop I
cannot connect remotely to any of the other computers in my home.

AEHSMCPS789-1 (Desktop One)
AEHSMCPS789-2 (Desktop Two)
AEHSMCPS789-3 (Lap-Top)
AEHSMCPS789-4 (Desktop Three)

I am unable to connect from AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 to any of the other
computers. I get an error message of " The remote connection has timed out,
please try connecting to the computer again" or Unable to Connect

On AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 I also cannot set up a network because when i
am in the network setup wizard and select the option that "This computer
connects directly to the internet, other computers on this network connect to
the internet through this computer" When I click next I get the following
message " Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this
computer, in additon to this internet this computer must have a connection to
your network" Any solutions to this issue? Although All computers are able to
connect to the internet because i am using the Westell Gateway that Verizon
DSL has provided me.

AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 is a Dell Optiplex 170L model just incase that
infornation was needed.

Last, thing all computers have the PCAnywhere Software installed, I can
connect from the other computers Desktop 2 and 3 and the laptop to my Desktop
# 1 AEHSMCPS789-1 but I cannot to Desktop 2,3 and the laptop from Desktop #
1. It's basically like the remote desktop just with more features.

I know this is alot, but if anyone has any solutions to my problem(s) i
would greatly apreciate your assistance. Thanks again for any assistance that
is provided.

Oscar Fuentes-Guzman
ofuentesguzman@verizon.net
Silver Spring MD
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection issue

    Is "Desktop One" running ICS, meaning are the other PCs accessing your
    Verizon DSL connection through that PC?

    Have you tried disabling/uninstalling Norton on "Desktop One"?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > i have 4 computers in my home, all running Windows XP Professional Service
    > Pack 2, they all have the Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security 2005 Anti
    > Spyware Edition installed also. My issue is that on one of my Desktop I
    > cannot connect remotely to any of the other computers in my home.
    >
    > AEHSMCPS789-1 (Desktop One)
    > AEHSMCPS789-2 (Desktop Two)
    > AEHSMCPS789-3 (Lap-Top)
    > AEHSMCPS789-4 (Desktop Three)
    >
    > I am unable to connect from AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 to any of the other
    > computers. I get an error message of " The remote connection has timed
    > out,
    > please try connecting to the computer again" or Unable to Connect
    >
    > On AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 I also cannot set up a network because when
    > am in the network setup wizard and select the option that "This computer
    > connects directly to the internet, other computers on this network connect
    > the internet through this computer" When I click next I get the following
    > message " Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this
    > computer, in additon to this internet this computer must have a connection
    > your network" Any solutions to this issue? Although All computers are able
    > connect to the internet because i am using the Westell Gateway that
    > Verizon
    > DSL has provided me.
    >
    > AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 is a Dell Optiplex 170L model just incase that
    > infornation was needed.
    >
    > Last, thing all computers have the PCAnywhere Software installed, I can
    > connect from the other computers Desktop 2 and 3 and the laptop to my
    > Desktop
    > # 1 AEHSMCPS789-1 but I cannot to Desktop 2,3 and the laptop from Desktop
    > #
    > 1. It's basically like the remote desktop just with more features.
    >
    > I know this is alot, but if anyone has any solutions to my problem(s) i
    > would greatly apreciate your assistance. Thanks again for any assistance
    > that
    > is provided.
    >
    > Oscar Fuentes-Guzman
    > ofuentesguzman@verizon.net
    > Silver Spring MD

    Desktop one is running Verizon DSL all computers do connect to my Desktop
    One, the thing is that i cannot connect remotely to any of the other desktops
    from this computer. I will try uninstalling Norton Internet security. see if
    that helps.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Is "Desktop One" running ICS, meaning are the other PCs accessing your
    > Verizon DSL connection through that PC?
    >
    > Have you tried disabling/uninstalling Norton on "Desktop One"?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > i have 4 computers in my home, all running Windows XP Professional Service
    > > Pack 2, they all have the Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security 2005 Anti
    > > Spyware Edition installed also. My issue is that on one of my Desktop I
    > > cannot connect remotely to any of the other computers in my home.
    > >
    > > AEHSMCPS789-1 (Desktop One)
    > > AEHSMCPS789-2 (Desktop Two)
    > > AEHSMCPS789-3 (Lap-Top)
    > > AEHSMCPS789-4 (Desktop Three)
    > >
    > > I am unable to connect from AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 to any of the other
    > > computers. I get an error message of " The remote connection has timed
    > > out,
    > > please try connecting to the computer again" or Unable to Connect
    > >
    > > On AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 I also cannot set up a network because when
    > > am in the network setup wizard and select the option that "This computer
    > > connects directly to the internet, other computers on this network connect
    > > the internet through this computer" When I click next I get the following
    > > message " Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this
    > > computer, in additon to this internet this computer must have a connection
    > > your network" Any solutions to this issue? Although All computers are able
    > > connect to the internet because i am using the Westell Gateway that
    > > Verizon
    > > DSL has provided me.
    > >
    > > AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 is a Dell Optiplex 170L model just incase that
    > > infornation was needed.
    > >
    > > Last, thing all computers have the PCAnywhere Software installed, I can
    > > connect from the other computers Desktop 2 and 3 and the laptop to my
    > > Desktop
    > > # 1 AEHSMCPS789-1 but I cannot to Desktop 2,3 and the laptop from Desktop
    > > #
    > > 1. It's basically like the remote desktop just with more features.
    > >
    > > I know this is alot, but if anyone has any solutions to my problem(s) i
    > > would greatly apreciate your assistance. Thanks again for any assistance
    > > that
    > > is provided.
    > >
    > > Oscar Fuentes-Guzman
    > > ofuentesguzman@verizon.net
    > > Silver Spring MD

    What model dsl modem do you have? Why are you using ICS? Is the westell an
    old model? I think the 2100 doesn't route. If it isn't the modems might be
    routing which might be causing your problem. Sounds like you already have a
    switch or hub set up, so why not connect the switch to the modem and your
    computers to the switch/hub and configure NIS firewall to trust the local
    network. I think it would be much easier and efficient.

> [...]
    >> > able
    >> > connect to the internet because i am using the Westell Gateway that
    >> > Verizon
    >> > DSL has provided me.
    >> >
    >> > AEHSMCPS789-1 Desktop # 1 is a Dell Optiplex 170L model just incase
    >> > that
    >> > infornation was needed.
    >> >
    >> > Last, thing all computers have the PCAnywhere Software installed, I can
    >> > connect from the other computers Desktop 2 and 3 and the laptop to my
    >> > Desktop
    >> > # 1 AEHSMCPS789-1 but I cannot to Desktop 2,3 and the laptop from
    >> > Desktop
    >> > #
    >> > 1. It's basically like the remote desktop just with more features.
    >> >
    >> > I know this is alot, but if anyone has any solutions to my problem(s) i
    >> > would greatly apreciate your assistance. Thanks again for any

Connection Desktops Computers Windows XP